Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:34:44 AM
713327 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  ICE STORM « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: ICE STORM  (Read 15679 times)
Susan
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 08:37:51 PM »

My local weather bulletin:

FREEZING RAIN...OCCASIONALLY MIXED WITH SLEET...WILL CONTINUE
UNABATED THIS EVENING ACROSS SOUTHERN INDIANA AND NORTHERN CENTRAL KENTUCKY.
BECAUSE SURFACE TEMPERATURES ARE NEAR FREEZING...ROAD CREWS HAVE
BEEN ABLE TO KEEP MAIN ROADS PRIMARILY SLUSHY. HOWEVER SIDE ROADS
AND ELEVATED ROADWAYS ARE EXTREMELY SLICK AND HAZARDOUS.
ALSO...ICE ACCUMULATING ON TREES AND POWER LINES WILL INCREASE THE
LIKELIHOOD OF POWER OUTAGES AND TREE DAMAGE THIS EVENING. DO NOT
TRAVEL TONIGHT IN SOUTHERN INDIANA AND NORTHERN KENTUCKY UNLESS
ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

The lights have flickered a couple of times already.

Ice is much worse than snow. 

My weather Bulletin:

A SHALLOW ARCTIC AIRMASS WILL REMAIN IN PLACE THROUGH
THE NIGHT WITH TEMPERATURES REMAINING OR FALLING BELOW FREEZING.
MEANWHILE...AN UPPER LEVEL STORM SYSTEM WILL APPROACH FROM WEST
TEXAS AND BRING MOISTURE AND LIFT. PERIODS OF LIGHT FREEZING RAIN
POSSIBLY MIXED WITH SLEET WILL BE LIKELY IN MOST AREAS THIS
THROUGH TONIGHT WITH ICE AND SLEET ACCUMULATIONS BETWEEN 0NE
TENTH AND ONE QUARTER OF AN INCH. ALL RESIDENTS WITH PICKUP TRUCKS ARE ENCOURAGED TO GET OUT ON THE ROADWAYS AND DRIVE AROUND THE CITY FOLK STEERING THEM INTO A DITCH.  YOU'LLAUNTO PUT THE DOGS IN THE GARAGE AND GO DOWN TO THE WALMART TO STOCK UP ON FLASHLIGHTS, A HUNTING SUIT AND SOME AMMO. NOAA RECOMMENTS KEEPING THE TRUCK STOCKED WITH SPAM IN THE EVENT YOUR TIRES SPIN OUT AND YOU WIND UP IN A DITCH. BE SURE TO THROW THE BEER CANS OUT OF THE CAR AS THERE IS AN DANGEROUS HIGH PRESSURE WIFE MOVING IN
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 10:15:46 PM »

I find it amusing how people in southern states freak out when it snows.
I live in a Southern state and I never freak out over snow. That is cause 90% of the time when we get any it is gone by noon. However in the same vein, it is so rare we see snow that it is exciting for a lot of people when it does happen.
Granted even a forecast for the possibility of winter weather triggers one of my favorite things to watch, panic shopping in stores. When else can you see two church ladies duke it out over a loaf of bread or watch someone buy enough toilet paper to wipe everyone in a 3 mile radius butt.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Torgo

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 03:24:24 AM »

Here in Roanoke VA (in the valley) we just got rain. I had some ice on the decks at my house but that was about it. It didn't cool off quite enough prior to the clouds moving in for us to get major ice. However the mountain areas probably got hit with some serious ice.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 06:56:38 AM »

17 degrees Celsius in Pretoria, 88% chance of rain here.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 07:23:15 AM »

Here in Michigan,we have LOTS of snow. About a foot and a half on the ground left over from the last couple of weeks. It's about 15 degrees F here this morning...which is a heat wave compared to the sub zero crap we had last week. Ugh...winter...I don't mind it except I have to walk about a mile to work every dam morning! Oh well...it wakes me up. BounceGiggle

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 07:51:52 AM »

This crap is said to be going to changing to snow and were going to get 5"-10" on top of all this ice, it's been right at the freezing the mark so it's freezing rain and rain, but the sun is down and now it will turn off cold.

That sucks.  When I lived in Minneapolis years ago, we got a bunch of freezing rain followed by a pretty good snowstorm.  On the roads, people drove over the snow and packed it down real good on top of the ice.  That made it impossible for the road crews to get the ice off, but they tried, resulting in the roughest roads you can imagine.  It was like that all winter.  I sold my Camaro the next summer, it was completely worn out after that. 

Not much going on with the weather here in Minnesota, other than that it's 12 below, but it's supposed to get up to 19 (above) today.  30% chance of snow this evening.

Well, good luck Cheeze!

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 08:02:41 AM »

Well well well . . .  Susan and I are apparently neighbors! Buggedout

We have about 1/4" of ice outside, and both my school and my wife's school are closed for the day!!  Cheers  Supposed to melt away this afternoon though.  I would go back to bed, but I have a little baby goat that needs bottle feeding as soon as it gets light enough.

After that, though . . .

snuggling time!!!! TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 07:26:38 PM »

WE got 3 inches of ice, 5 of snow, I have intermittent phone, tv, internet I'm on generator a couple a hours a day.

We got SLAMMED they is 100% power outage in the county, and 95% in the area. NO gas, NO food, water running low .. I have some gas and a few days of food and water ... but it is bad. I have trees down everywhere, they are saying power could be out for weeks ... I don't have that much gas. I have a neighbor drive 100 mile today looking for gas, nothing!

Where the hell is the FEDS and FEMA were under a state of emergency and the Governor has asked for help and so far nothing. Where are all of those pointing fingers at Katrina at now??? 

Susan
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 07:28:55 PM »

cheeze you only got a couple days worth of food? i usually go shopping for the month so i could live out of my apt for a good solid 9 weeks before going hungry.

Do the neighbors have any dogs?  Wink
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 12:12:51 AM »

If that band of icy mess is widespread, Cheeze could be in for a few rough weeks.  Getting power restored to lots of areas can take a while.  Downed lines also make clearing trees out of the roads a dangerous undertaking.  At least you have a generator. 

What you mention is another reason I keep thinking we need to add a wood stove to the house, just for backup heat.

We got about 1.5" of snow, then about .25 - .5" ice.  The roads today were bad.  They're getting bad again, as the temp warmed up this afternoon and it rained.  Now the temp is falling quick and we're supposed to be in the mid-20's tonight with a wind chill in the teens.  Sounds like black ice bonanza tomorrow morning.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 01:35:33 AM »

I've been very lucky in the fact that the ice storm didn't extend down this far. The cold temperatures are just now moving into the area and the moister that produced the ice storms to the North moved out ahead of the cold front. Now on Monday there is a slight chance of snow flurries where I live but odds are it will be just another rain event.
I did see where power crews from my state are moving up North to assist in the repairs to the electrical lines in the areas hit by the ice storm. So hopefully they will be able to restore electricity to many soon.
A wood burning stove or wood burning heater are good to have for such situations. When I was a kid, an ice storm hit and my parents cooked on top of a wood burning heater. Granted we also had a few dozen brass oil lamps that kept the house well lit to the point people wanted to know why we were the only home with lights. We melted and boiled the ice we scraped up for water until a old well we had thawed out then we boiled the water out of it to use.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 08:43:43 PM »

WE got 3 inches of ice, 5 of snow, I have intermittent phone, tv, internet I'm on generator a couple a hours a day.

We got SLAMMED they is 100% power outage in the county, and 95% in the area. NO gas, NO food, water running low .. I have some gas and a few days of food and water ... but it is bad. I have trees down everywhere, they are saying power could be out for weeks ... I don't have that much gas. I have a neighbor drive 100 mile today looking for gas, nothing!

Where the hell is the FEDS and FEMA were under a state of emergency and the Governor has asked for help and so far nothing. Where are all of those pointing fingers at Katrina at now??? 

Sorry to hear that Cheeze.  I'm just a bit east of you and I've had my power knocked out, but it's OK.  Only about 20% of the power is lost here in the big city; my parents and my brother both have power. 

"Late Wednesday, Obama declared federal emergencies in these Kentucky counties: Allen, Anderson, Barren, Bath, Boyd, Boyle, Breathitt, Breckinridge, Butler, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Clark, Crittenden, Daviess, Edmonson, Elliott, Estill, Fayette, Floyd, Fulton, Garrard, Graves, Grayson, Hardin, Harrison, Hart, Hickman, Hopkins, Jackson, Jessamine, Johnson, Larue, Lincoln, Logan, Lyon, Madison, Magoffin, Marion, Marshall, Mason, McCracken, Meade, Mercer, Metcalfe, Morgan, Muhlenberg, Nelson, Nicholas, Ohio, Owsley, Perry, Powell, Shelby, Todd, Trigg, Union, Washington, Webster, Wolfe, and Woodford."  http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/stories/2009/01/26/daily72.html

Sounds like the Feds will be sending the calvary your way.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 11:08:19 PM »

Ice here, mostly on the sidewalks and neighborhood streets. Makes it a pain in the neck to walk, but driving (except in my driveway) is OK. And the trains & buses were running on time. That's more of a concern for me, as my car needs a new catalytic converter so it's semi-retired for a few months till I decide what to do.
Susan
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 11:20:28 PM »

frozen fog isn't a myth after all. This morning driving to work it was so foggy i could see only 7 carlinks in front of me. I looked around and it almost looked like it was snowing but I knew it wasn't because all the precip had moved out. It was the fog freezing into tiny little flakes that looked like powdered sugar whirling all around and coating the grass. was pretty cool
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 12:10:43 AM »

frozen fog isn't a myth after all. This morning driving to work it was so foggy i could see only 7 carlinks in front of me. I looked around and it almost looked like it was snowing but I knew it wasn't because all the precip had moved out. It was the fog freezing into tiny little flakes that looked like powdered sugar whirling all around and coating the grass. was pretty cool
We had that in NJ the other night, cold and snow in the wee hours, but by afternoon it kept getting warmer and warmer after the snow (which had turned to freezing rain) it stopped precipitating and the fog kept rising like a horror movie, and then there  were bits of ice in the air... then by midnight it had almost all melted and it was starry and clear and damned windy.  Today, SUNNY, cold, but not bitter, and beautiful! 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  ICE STORM « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.