Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:46:58 AM
713339 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Underworld 3--worth my time? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Underworld 3--worth my time?  (Read 6892 times)
Bmeansgood
Bad Movie Lover

« on: January 31, 2009, 10:41:59 PM »

I have never seen any of the Underworld movies but I have heard some buzz about Underworld 3.  I was under the impression that the first one was absolutely horrible, so I neve got around to seeing it.  Should I find the first 2 movies or is this much ado about nothing.

jimmybob
Bad Movie Lover

Move over, let Jimi take over.

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 10:55:40 PM »

A friend of mine has seen all of the films and has told me that the third movie is by far the most entertaining. I still don't know if it's worth a cinema ticket.

-Jimmybob

Rat-Bat-Spider
Dedicated Viewer

ICE to meet you!

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 01:29:12 AM »

I just saw it last night, friend. I liked it not. If you are a fan of the first two, then you have really already watched this movie. The scene in the first Underworld where Lucian's character is given exposition, that's the whole damn movie in a nutshell. It doesn't add anything to the mythology, therefore there is no real redeeming quality, and it merely exists to suck 8 more dollars out of Underworld fans. I reviewed it on my site, but all the movie had seeped out of my brain by the time I had come home to write about it.

My thoughts: rent it if you are a fan, ignore it if you're not. This one is not worth it, considering all the good Oscar noms out right now.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 07:13:03 PM by Rat-Bat-Spider » Logged

www.cinematronica.wordpress.com
A movie review every day for an entire year. Can he handle it? Can YOU handle it?
ognatam
New Visitor

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 02:09:02 AM »

I'm just going to chime in and give you a big fat no. Not worth watching. Not worth your time.
Hammock Rider
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 10:11:31 AM »

I saw it for 3 bucks at a run down theater and believe me when I say was  ripped off. It's like Spartacus with Werewolves, except there are hardly any werewolves, and hardly any excitement, scariness, suspense, fun or humor.There are CGI werewolves but their appearence is limited, probably due to budget. Rhona Mitra isn't even very sexy in it. How they pulled THAT off I'll never know. It's just a bland mess. Thumbdown Thumbdown

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 02:20:19 PM »

It depends on what you want out of it.  I will say, that while on some levels it is less polished then the first film, it has more soul.  That's the big thing about the first Underworld movie - there's no passion in it.  None of the characters seem to really matter, or care about much of anything.  It's not to say Rise of the Lycans is a film with brilliantly written characters with great motivation, but there's a little bit of heart there.  Not having Kate Beckinsale and Scott Speedman, and instead having leads played by Rhona Mitra and Michael Sheen, really helps.  Bill Nighy overacts, but he's always entertaining.  All of this makes it a better film than the other two.

I'd say on the whole it is kind of a bad movie.  The action scenes are kind of a mess in the modern style of shake-tastic photography.  The writing is lackluster, there are some very poorly developed ideas and sub-plots throughout, and several things happen for no apparent reason.  It also feels like a number of scenes were cut out of the film.  Like the fate of Bill Nighy.  The film has a 92 minute run-time, and I'd guess 10-15 minutes of cut footage.

But, I like werewolves a lot, and seeing them chow down on vampires made it worth the price of an admission ticket to me.  Your mileage may vary.
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 02:55:48 PM »

I justified watching it yesterday because I had just rolled 5 bucks in pennies and wanted an excuse to hang with the friend who invited me.

Either this movie was supposed to be a lot more epic and interesting than it became after the marketing/consulting people were done, or it really was just a rushed eye-candy exercise.

It was not unwatchable, it looked cool, neither the story nor the characters overreached, but it also didn't reach very far.

For a straight to video it would have been good enough. For a theatrical release it was not as bad as it could have been.

You're going to watch nifty gothic action, and that's what you get. The clever moral ambiquity of which monster is more sympathetic gets tossed out. 

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 10:01:13 AM »

I saw it for 3 bucks at a run down theater and believe me when I say was  ripped off. It's like Spartacus with Werewolves, except there are hardly any werewolves, and hardly any excitement, scariness, suspense, fun or humor.There are CGI werewolves but their appearence is limited, probably due to budget. Rhona Mitra isn't even very sexy in it. How they pulled THAT off I'll never know. It's just a bland mess. Thumbdown Thumbdown

Rhona Mitra-not sexy?  IMPOSSIBLE!

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Hibbins
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 03:37:55 PM »

I thought the movie was kinda bad the actors were not good either. I liked the first and second movie better.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 03:41:17 PM »

My buddy loves these movies. I think Underworld is his favourite film ever, but I can't stand them. It's just the Matrix for Anne Rice fans.... Lookingup

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 07:13:41 PM »

My buddy loves these movies. I think Underworld is his favourite film ever, but I can't stand them. It's just the Matrix for Anne Rice fans.... Lookingup

It's also the favourite film my best buddy.  TeddyR

It tries way to hard to be cool. It's laughable, really.. BounceGiggle

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Wag
Bad Movie Lover

It's a real cat and carrot situation

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 08:33:44 AM »

Ha ha - you can't stand them but still I overlook that fact.  Smile

I'm a little dissapointed in the comments about the new one - I am generally wary about prequels but was wanting it to be good; it doesn't look hopeful. Fate (well, a friend's exploding stomach ulcer) conspired against me seeing it on the big screen. I think I will wait for the DVD to hit the bargain bins after reading these comments.

Where the hell is that soothing music coming from?
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 07:37:44 AM »

If a movie has "3" or Part 3" in the title, it's hardly ever worth your time.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Underworld 3--worth my time? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.