Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:18:49 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  PRESCRIPTION MURDER and other Columbo stuff « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PRESCRIPTION MURDER and other Columbo stuff  (Read 2455 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 12, 2009, 03:24:57 PM »

I just started collecting the Columbo boxed sets.  The pilot movie, PRESCRIPTION MURDER is particularly good, and in addition to Peter Falk's always amusing portrayal of Lieutenant Columbo, Gene Barry also turns in a good performance as the bad guy.  (Every time I see him, I think of him running through the streets yelling, "Sylvia!")

The series had some interesting directors (including Steven Spielberg) and typical 1970s guest stars (so far, I've watched episodes with Robert Culp, Ray Milland, and even . . . yikes . . . Jack Cassidy!)

I remember watching these on Sunday nights when I was a kid.  Ah, the nostalgia . . . 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 07:43:53 PM »

A great show with a great performance by Peter Falk.  And, yes, let us not forget the villains. I won't list them all, but the one I'd like to have seen, and he was on the show, but not as the villain, would have been Vincent Price.

And a bit of trivia, Peter Falk was not the first choice to play Columbo. The part was offered to both Bing Crosby and Lee J. Cobb, who both turned it down. And the rest, they say, is history.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 07:09:36 AM »

Watched another episode last night with guest stars SUZANNE PLESHETTE and EDDIE ALBERT.  Bring back the 70s!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
peter johnson

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 11:47:07 AM »

Have you got the one with Roddy McDowell as the smarmy bad guy who puts a bomb on an aerial tramway?  That one's my all-time favorite Columbo, as McDowell -- never a shrinking violet -- just SHOWS how IRRITATED Falk is making him -- he couldn't be more camp in fishnet stockings!!
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
vanlutz
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 02:05:54 PM »

I bought in one giant swoop all the seasons. I just have to get the movie box set and I'll be complete. One of my favorite shows that still holds up.

My next favorite is The Rockford Files.

I was fortunate enough to see Peter Falk in his last show off-Broadway years ago. He was in the last play Arthur Miller wrote. The theatre held at best two hundred people, and he was fantastic. I met him afterwards and got a few autographs. It's a shame what's happening to him now.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 10:10:47 AM »

I've always loved Columbo and been a fan of peter fALK. I'm reading his autobiography, Just One More Thing, and it's a good read. It's a fairly loose collection of stories from his life that he felt would interst people and of course a good section of it is devoted to the Columbo years. He seems like a good guy who takes his acting seriously but not himself.  The big shots back in the day told him he'd never work in movies or tv because of his glass eye. Ha, experts!

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  PRESCRIPTION MURDER and other Columbo stuff « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.