Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:00:43 AM
714199 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies endings/plot points that cause debate (POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Movies endings/plot points that cause debate (POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT)  (Read 12113 times)
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« on: February 04, 2009, 11:12:37 PM »

I saw the John Carpenter film Prince of Darkness on fearnet yesterday. I enjoyed it, although a few parts were a little confusing. Tonight I checked the page on imdb, and was struck by a thread where fans - now twenty years after the release - were still trying to figure out what the ending meant. Some went as far as to watch a repeated dream sequence over several times to decipher differing narration. This is not an unusual experience among movie fans, especially if certain aspects are intentionally vague or unexplained (Donnie Darko, anyone?). After all, movies are art, and any form of art has less to do with the artist's intention than how it is interpereted by the viewer. At the same time, one cant help trying to figure out what the filmmaker was trying to get across. In any case, getting different perspectives can enhance the experience (that thread's gonna keep me up tonight...). What are some films you think need to be deciphered? What films do you think you have an answer for?

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 12:08:34 AM »

So is this thread a list of those endings/plot points that cause debate or a discussion on the ending of Prince of Darkness ending which is debated?

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 06:44:41 AM »

So is this thread a list of those endings/plot points that cause debate or a discussion on the ending of Prince of Darkness ending which is debated?

Mainly a list of different endings, although you'll want to explain the controversy and your own take on it, whatever that might be. P of D is one example. Another might be the contents of the briefcase in Pulp Fiction (Which some have theorized contains anything from the diamonds in Resevior Dogs to Marsellus Wallace's soul). If the thread generates its own discussion, all the better.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 07:50:13 AM »

These aren't exactly "what happened at the end". It's more like "the end throws all your assumptions about the movie into doubt, so what the hell actually happened in the movie?"

Memento
Caché (French)
Swimming Pool (French/English)

(warning, spoilers below)

Memento -- did Leonard kill his own wife accidentally? Then why did he kill Teddy?
Caché -- What is that last shot all about? Who is doing the surveillance and why?
Swimming Pool -- WTF? So who was that French girl?
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 07:58:01 AM »

2001 Certainly caused a lot of speculation with its ending.  Was he taken into the realm of some sort of alien/godlike beings, or perhaps God himself?   Why did he seem to jump from one age to another?

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 01:48:02 PM »

Well if we are going to list debated ending and plot points, we need to go ahead and get the biggest debate in Star Wars out of the way which is who shot first, Han or Greedo? I'm of the Han shot first school myself but Lucas re-edited it to show Greedo did.
As far as the case in Pulp Fiction, I've heard the debate but Wallace's soul is a new twist to the argument.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 05:04:49 PM »

American Psycho.
I said the same thing on the imdb..

Did he or did he not kill...

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
peter johnson

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 05:29:44 PM »

2001:  I've had my lengthy say about this one before, but the "jumping" is the accelerated evolution that the alien intelligence is having him undergo.  When he is the Star Being at the end, he is there, both literally and symbolically, ready to be born as something unfathomable, but nontheless the next step in our -- humanity's -- engineered development that began with the obelisk.  There are those who say I got that from the book, but I understood it implicitly when I first saw it in Cinerama at age 10, and didn't read Clarke's book until in my 20's.
My classic WTF:  What is the final shot in "Taxi Driver" supposed to convey?  His Zen confrontation with who he is/what he has become?  Does he reach enlightenment, or is he being devoured by his own depraved mind?  It's as if he's shooting into himself/looking into his own abyss, which in turn is looking into him.  It makes me uncomfortable, I know it's art, but I'm bothered that I don't get it.  And I really like Scorcese.
Also, no "mystery" to the ending, but damn I thought "Mirrors" deserves a better one . . .

peter kvetch/denny complain

I have no idea what this means.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 06:05:43 PM »

Well if we are going to list debated ending and plot points, we need to go ahead and get the biggest debate in Star Wars out of the way which is who shot first, Han or Greedo? I'm of the Han shot first school myself but Lucas re-edited it to show Greedo did.
As far as the case in Pulp Fiction, I've heard the debate but Wallace's soul is a new twist to the argument.

I'm with you. Han shot first. Then Lucas re-edited it and (IMHO) ruined one of the best scenes in the film. Look at it this way. You know someone is out to kill you, would you shoot first, or let that person have the first shot? If you had any sense, like Han did, before Lucas re-edited the scene, you'd shoot first. But Lucas does not know enough to leave something alone, when there is nothing wrong with it.
jimmybob
Bad Movie Lover

Move over, let Jimi take over.

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 06:51:03 PM »

THE EVIL (1978) - Last half hour: WHAT THE F#CK ?!

-Jimmybob

Jim H

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 05:40:16 AM »

Cemetery Man's ending.  I don't get it.  Well, I sort of do, how nothing he does matters and he can't escape from that no matter what he does.  But, still, I don't get it.

In Tetsuo the Iron Man, who/what is the homeless guy with the stick?
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 08:39:49 AM »

Inland Empire.

THE WHOLE 3 HOURS!!!!!!

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Paquita

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 08:47:13 AM »

I don't understand what happened at the end of Gates of Hell, but I think that you're not supposed to know what happened.

In Neverending Story, I can never make out the name Sebastian yells out at the end.
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 12:16:41 PM »

My classic WTF:  What is the final shot in "Taxi Driver" supposed to convey?  His Zen confrontation with who he is/what he has become?  Does he reach enlightenment, or is he being devoured by his own depraved mind?  It's as if he's shooting into himself/looking into his own abyss, which in turn is looking into him.  It makes me uncomfortable, I know it's art, but I'm bothered that I don't get it.  And I really like Scorcese.

I don't remember this final shot, but your comment reminds me of another confusing final shot, at the end of The Graduate. Dustin Hoffman and Katherine Ross have escaped the wedding, they catch a bus, she's still wearing her wedding dress. And they suddenly don't look happy at all. More like "WTF did we just do? Now what?".

What's that all about? Are they glad to be together or not? Should Elaine go back and marry the rich guy?
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 12:35:24 PM »

Its so obvious its Han.  Lucas wanted to make him look like a good guy but deep at heart, Han is a seedy character.  Why would Greedo shoot the wall when Han is 2 feet away from him?

American Psycho.
I said the same thing on the imdb..

Did he or did he not kill...
I like the movie but you're right, did he or didn't he.  I'm going to say it was all in his head because he is described as spineless by a few characters.

Ok heres one...One Hour Photo.  Does anyone have a clue what happened at the end of that film?  That and what was truly behind Sy's madness?  He mentions something about someone never taking or making children do certain things.  Was he abused as a kid?  Why wasn't there pictures in the camera?  Why did he make those people take those pictures if he wasn't going to use them?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 12:37:08 PM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies endings/plot points that cause debate (POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.