Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:38:34 PM
714375 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why bad movies? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why bad movies?  (Read 6086 times)
ds21
Bad Movie Lover

« on: February 06, 2009, 12:59:40 PM »

I just wondered... why do YOU like bad movies?  Is it for the comedy, the gratuitous-ness...what is it that draws you specifically?

EDIT: For me, it's the cheese/unintentional comedy.  Also, the over-the-top-ness.

I am David
David I am

Making the world a little more random since 1989.
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 01:02:06 PM »

pretty much for all the reasons you mentioned.  I also like a good monster story.  And most monster movies fall into the "bad" movie category.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 01:03:27 PM »

I just wondered... why do YOU like bad movies?  Is it for the comedy, the gratuitous-ness...what is it that draws you specifically?

EDIT: For me, it's the cheese/unintentional comedy.  Also, the over-the-top-ness.

All the above  Thumbup

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 01:29:19 PM »

All of the above, and I get so tired of the soullessness of many of our current bockbusters.  Gimme a rubber suit over a CGI one any day. 

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 02:29:31 PM »

A)  I used to smoke a lot of pot.  Bad movies are fascinating when your stoned  TeddyR  Although I don't think weed causes any permanent damage, my taste in movies never seemed to recover.
B)  I like boobies.  Well built girls in tight tank tops too.  Huh, that's kind of the same thing I guess.  Oh well.  It's all good.

I think B should actually be A.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 04:35:57 PM »

I watch bad movies because sooo many of them are actually good movies, that uptight and/or close-minded people either outright hate or dismiss as "silly".

But yes, when it's something that actually IS bad, I watch it to laugh; unintentional comedies are those that last longer. Smile
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 04:37:41 PM by Mr. Briggs Inc. » Logged

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 05:22:19 PM »

Because I like trying to expand my horizon and try watching lesser known films.  Also, because I never know when I'm going to find a hidden gem in the sea of b-movies/bad movies, like It Happened At Lakewood Manor/Ants.  However, most of my attempts to find bad movies I like end up with me finding a real bad movie that brings me grief and pain, like Frogs.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 05:41:33 PM »

I think I like them mostly for the atmosphere.  Bad movies have their own atmosphere.  Sort of like your favorite bar or favorite restaurant.  The decor, the people that hang out there, the bartenders and wait staff . . .

I especially love the atmosphere of bad 1960s and 70s movies . . . companies like Box Office International and Independent International come to mind.  Lots of interior scenes where the rooms are very small and claustrophobic and have cheap paneling on the walls.  Guys with big sideburns.  Sometimes the boom mike drops into the shot for a few seconds.  There's some cheesy stock music playing in the background.  John Carradine shows up for a cameo (or maybe they just insert scenes from a different John Carradine movie).  Everyone is smoking (often unfiltered cigarettes).  Characters say, "Cool" and "far out" and "that's heavy, man."  One of the characters plays the bongos.  There's an exterior scene in a parking lot and local residents keep walking by in the background looking at the camera and pointing.  The sound isn't synched properly.  You struggle to understand the dialogue in interior scenes because there is a significant echo in the room.  You struggle to understand the dialogue in exterior scenes because the wind is blowing against the microphone.  People listen to transistor radios or watch console televisions with rabbit ear antennas.  These things, my friends, add up to great bad movie atmosphere.  I love it. 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Javakoala
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 05:59:45 PM »

I watch them for two main reasons:

1.  My oldest brother, whom I idolized as a kid, would sit up and watch scary movies on the local channel. I wanted to be like him, so, as much as they scared the crap out of me, I would sit up and watch them with him, if I could stay awake. And ALL of them were bad movies. They grew on me like fungus.

2.  I've found that watching bad movies has two main assets. The first is that you intentionally watch a movie that you have no expectations of or for, and if you get ANYTHING good out of it, you are ahead of the game. That to me is value and then some. The second asset is that, until I started watching a lot of crappy movies, I couldn't tell you why I didn't like some big budget movie; I just knew I didn't like it. After seeing so many bare-bones and broken-down crap movies, I now understand plot, characterization, pacing, flow, story, continuity, lighting, acting, tone and all those other things that come together to make a film. Now I can tell you EXACTLY why "Hancock" sucks like a crack whore needing a fix.

Well, that and they are fun.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 06:09:57 PM »

FUN is the key word for me. Watching a classic bad movie like STARCRASH or HORROR OF PARTY BEACH or TEENAGERS FROM OUTER SPACE for me tends to be a lot of fun. There's monsters! And I always love a movie with monsters. And like others I prefer them non-CGI. Granted in the B-movie classics, often the monsters are pulled off in the cheapest way possible but man there's so much gusto often put into it I don't mind. Often I laugh but it's a laugh of appreciation in a way. Most classic baddies too have at least one or two talented actors and one or two gorgeous scream queens to add spice to the proceedings.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 06:16:43 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Eyesore
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 07:00:03 PM »

In short, genetics. I'm 43, and I grew up in a fractioned home with parents and siblings that loved B movies. I grew up with these films and never thought of them as bad or anything like that, and still don't. My folks would go to see a monster movie, and before my mom would getinto bed, my dad had to turn on all the lights and prove to her that nothing was in the closet, bathroom, or under the bed.

During the holidays in L.A., one channel or another would run monster-marathons, and I still remember watching The Wolfman with my cousins in their game room/den, filled with trophy mounts. My cousin put a wolf rug with the head and teeth in it over his head and walked toward me out of the dark when I walked out of the bathroom. I looked over my shoulder and started running, but was wearing socks on the tile floor. I guess when I finally got traction I launched off the steps, into a chair, and ripped down the drapes on the way down. We put them back up the best we could, and as far as I know the adults never found out.

I'm still looking for jumps like that in movies today, but I can still feel the chills in the old ones best.
jimmybob
Bad Movie Lover

Move over, let Jimi take over.

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 09:53:04 PM »

I can't stand Hollywood.

-Jimmybob

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 10:41:16 PM »

My love of the genre, similar to something Java said above, started with my brother.  He introduced me to horror films at a young age.  I wasn't one of those kids who got nightmares from scary movies.  Rather, I loved them and found them much more entertaining than standard kids films.  I'd say I started loving these film in the single digit years of my life to be honest.

Another reason is the satirist in me.  I enjoy the WTF moments in these films and laughing at them.  Of course most of these films are loaded with WTF moments so theres simply more to enjoy.  I'm a bit of a cinema sadist too and laugh at gory deaths a lot. 

Lastly, I'd say that a lot of mainstrem cinema bores the hell out of me.  I REALLY hate most dramas, most of the comedies today aren't worth a laugh and quite frankly I've had had it with washed up plot lines.  Give me aliens, zombies and gore and I'm a happy man. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
elDuendeVerde
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 07:21:46 PM »

I like the unpretentiousness of them.  There's a simple naivete involved in many of them.

Also, I like the absurd stories and the gratuitous violence.

And giant monsters.
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 07:32:50 PM »

I love to mock them. Was doing it before MST3K ever existed. These days it's became a family event with my kids joining me in watching the worst films the industry has to offer. Some family's have game nights or family outings, mine has bad movie weekends which we spend saying things out loud about the film.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why bad movies? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.