Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:06:54 AM
713398 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I'm having shoulder surgery, OUCH! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I'm having shoulder surgery, OUCH!  (Read 4006 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: February 06, 2009, 08:47:37 AM »

I've been having problems with my left shoulder for about 6 months. Back in October my family doc sent me to an orthopedic doc, who x-rayed my shoulder and gave me a cortisone shot. Now on the xrays he said there were no bone spurs.

I go back after six weeks and the shot had helped for a while, but I couldn't raise my arm straight out from my side and it hurt a lot to try. Well, he sends me to three weeks of physical therapy.  This improved my range of motion back to almost normal, but I still had some pain. The doc says since I'm doing so good we would wait and see if it flared up again.  Then he asked me if I could live with it like it was without doing anything about it. I thought that was kind odd.

The guy probably didn't spend 15 minutes with me in all three visits combined, so I decided to see another doc and a friend at work recommended the guy that fixed her shoulder a few years ago. She had a bone spur which was compressing an artery and a torn rotator cuff.

I go to see this guy and I carried the xrays the first guy took. Well he throws them up there and right away says, you got big ol' bone spur (remember what the other guy told me).  Then he took some more xrays at some funny angles so he could see it better and he took the time to show me exactly what the problem was.  Then he recommended an MRI to check for damage to my rotator cuff.

I went back with my wife on Wed. and he said I had a partial tear on the cuff, but the thickness was enough that all he should have to do is clean up the part that is frayed and they will remove the bone spur. There are three classes of spur on the acroniom, 1,2,&3 with each progressively worse. Well he said mine was like a 3+.

I'm going on March 20, to get the surgery and the doc says I should be out of work for a week and fully back to normal in 6 months.  The bad news is I have to start PT about two days after surgery, ouch!

Not as scary as I though at first, my friend told me she was out of work for 6 weeks. When I told the doc this, he said that was because she had a rotator cuff repair done.

I hate doctors who don't know what they're doing.

If you have  the flash plug-in you can see what they're going to do to me.

http://www.midsouthorthopedics.com/shoulderimpinge.htm
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 08:51:42 AM by Trekgeezer » Logged

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 12:14:13 PM »

Wow, that sucks.  But congrats for not taking the first doctor at his word and seeking a second opinion.  You should probably explain what happened to your primary care physician so she doesn't refer anyone else to that incompetent doc. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 12:19:59 PM »

My wife just went back to work after being off for about 3 months from having the same surgery. Sure they may tell you it's minor surgery but they're not the ones being cut open now are they. The big thing is after the surgery is to keep the rehab appointments. That, more than anything will help heal it up faster.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 01:39:59 PM »

Oh Trek, I am sorry. All the bes to you.
My biggest problem after surgerty is sleeping sitting up or on my back.   I am a side lseeper by nature. 

Best of luck man!
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 02:09:31 PM »

Oh Trek, I am sorry. All the bes to you.
My biggest problem after surgerty is sleeping sitting up or on my back.   I am a side lseeper by nature. 

Best of luck man!
-Ed
[/quote

I'm also a side sleeper, mostly the left side and right now that's the bad side.  Since I will have my arm in a sling at least for a couple of weeks, the doctor told me most folks sleep in a recliner, because it's easier to get out of than a bed.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 03:13:37 PM »

I had a problem with my shoulder, months of pain, numbness, unable to sit, got 3 different and vague diagnosis (internist, neurologist, orthopedist)the last of whom wanted to cut me open.  I opted for physical therapy before making any choice, and recieved what I think was an accurate, 4th, diagnosis from the PT: Suprascapular nerve entrapment.  I think you got a good one with that 2nd doctor, but let the experience the 1st time inform all of your choices. 

The physical therapy is what helped me, but the shoulder has never been 100%. 

Best to you Trekgeezer.   Thumbup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 12:43:17 AM »

Best of luck with the surgery.  The physio for shoulders can be tough (alright: often downright hellish) but DO it - it makes all the difference for the degree of recovery.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 02:36:46 AM »

Smile

All good wishes for the surgery, Trek!   Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »

Good luck with the surgery, TG. Any cutting on that many layers of muscle scares me a bit; may you have a quick recovery.

I had a problem with my shoulder, months of pain, numbness, unable to sit, got 3 different and vague diagnosis (internist, neurologist, orthopedist)the last of whom wanted to cut me open.  I opted for physical therapy before making any choice, and recieved what I think was an accurate, 4th, diagnosis from the PT: Suprascapular nerve entrapment.  I think you got a good one with that 2nd doctor, but let the experience the 1st time inform all of your choices. 

The physical therapy is what helped me, but the shoulder has never been 100%. 

I deal with this sort of thing relatively often (I do massage) and have had a pretty good success rate in helping at least lessen the numbness and pain (that success rate goes right through the roof if the client actually comes back for some follow-up sessions). You might look into finding a massage therapist (not the day spa type, but one who does a more medical/therapeutic massage) to get some more work done. Keep in mind that the massage industry is about 90% kooks, but there are good people in the business who can genuinely help with issues like this. Usually talking to the person for about five minutes is enough to tell which is which.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »

Sorry to hear this,Trek....hospitals and doctors are creepy and scary. Hospitals are almost as creepy as jails. Brrrr.....!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 10:52:43 AM »

Good luck man!  Thumbup

JJ80
Nutter Magnet

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 10:56:30 AM »

Good luck mate!  Thumbup

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 11:10:43 PM »

Never had surgery before expect one I was real young because I was born with detached retinas. I was so yound I don't remember a thing.

Best of luck to you Trek  Thumbup

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I'm having shoulder surgery, OUCH! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.