Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:35:13 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Anybody remember Erik Estrada being electrocuted... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anybody remember Erik Estrada being electrocuted...  (Read 6919 times)
Menaaard!!!
« on: February 09, 2009, 10:29:15 PM »

...before he could start singing?

Who says life ain't fair?

For some reason, it came to mind of a game show in the 70s which was a 'you are the detective' premise.

Through the show, they showed a dramatized murder mystery. At the end, the contestants, from the suspects presented in the mystery, would have to guess which one did it.

The mystery of this one episode (I think it was a one-shot) was about the murder of this singer, played by Erik Estrada, who, as he came on stage to sing, was electrocuted when he grabbed the mike stand.

Anybody remember this?

Do you have any one-shots or shot lived TV shows that annoy you, because you remember the damn things?

Any singers you think should be electrocuted before they can sing? TeddyR
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 07:57:32 AM »

The HUDSON BROTHERS RAZZLE DAZZLE SHOW.

Small | Large

the horror...the...horror...
...and yes,they should have been electrocuted!

UGH. Corporate TV and the media took the hippy counter culture thing and warped it into sugar coated swill to feed the kids of the Peace and Love generation. Serves you right,hippy freaks!  TongueOut

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 11:07:28 AM »

There was a weird era in TV, early 70s I think, where somebody decided it was a good idea to take every B-list pop act and give them a "variety" show. I have painful memories of watching Sonny & Cher obviously reading bad "jokes" off cue cards, of the "gee Sonny you're short" type. Groups you probably don't even remember got their own shows briefly, like Donny & Marie Osmond, and Tony Orlando & Dawn.

As for electrocution: there's a movie I loved that I'm not sure anybody else has ever seen called Phantom of the Paradise. It's a rock version of the Phantom of the Opera story. Meatloaf gets electrocuted on stage in that film. There was something very satisfying about that.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 12:25:37 PM »

There was a weird era in TV, early 70s I think, where somebody decided it was a good idea to take every B-list pop act and give them a "variety" show. I have painful memories of watching Sonny & Cher obviously reading bad "jokes" off cue cards, of the "gee Sonny you're short" type. Groups you probably don't even remember got their own shows briefly, like Donny & Marie Osmond, and Tony Orlando & Dawn.

As for electrocution: there's a movie I loved that I'm not sure anybody else has ever seen called Phantom of the Paradise. It's a rock version of the Phantom of the Opera story. Meatloaf gets electrocuted on stage in that film. There was something very satisfying about that.

Yeah...I almost posted the Mac Davis Show. I remeber that it was on either before or after Planet of the Apes show. Also Captain and Tenille,the country singer woman with two sisters-one acted like a ditz,the other had big tits...dam...brain fart with that one...DAMMIT! One of them was named Louise! Help me out,people! AH!  Buggedout
  And YES! I have seen PHANTOM of the PARADISE! With little twit Paul Williams and it was directed by none other than Brian DePalma!!!  Thumbup

Hello! I'm GLEN CAMPBELL!

Small | Large

We usta rag my brother Glenn (My brothers name is spelled with 2 N's...whadda ya want...? I gotta Uncle Ron and a cousin Ron....my name is Ron too)..HI! I"M GLEN MERCHANT!...that usta p**s him off...! BounceGiggle
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 12:43:52 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Menaaard!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 09:15:46 PM »

...the country singer woman with two sisters-one acted like a ditz,the other had big tits...dam...brain fart with that one...DAMMIT! One of them was named Louise! Help me out,people! AH!

That would be Barbara Mandrell and the Mandrell Sisters; interesting that it was aired in 1980, quite a few years after the variety show had begun to fade.

I actually enjoyed the variety shows. Sonny and Cher didn't exactly invent it as it existed well before them (remember Dean Martin anybody), but they did help to revamp it and some of those who followed them took cues from them; Cher always made jokes about and insulted Sonny, Telma Hopkins did the same to Tony Orlando.

I was also a big fan of the Hudson Brothers...on TV...the three of them could be a bit much to take at one time in the movies.
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 10:17:58 PM »

Ugh, those three...the same guys who inflicted Hysterical! on us.

A while back I inflicted the "Paul Lynde Halloween Special" on my wife.  She wasn't too appreciative of that.  I mean, the Halloween skits were OK, but most of the segments had nothing to do with Halloween.

I DO NOT LIKE "Phantom of the Paradise."  It drove me nuts that the main character, the goofy songwriter who becomes the phantom, keeps letting Paul Williams screw him over.  Seeing Paul Williams almost naked was also completely unnecessary.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 12:37:00 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEcSHOuGPt4
the horror...the...horror...
...and yes,they should have been electrocuted!

UGH. Corporate TV and the media took the hippy counter culture thing and warped it into sugar coated swill to feed the kids of the Peace and Love generation. Serves you right,hippy freaks!  TongueOut

ACK GAK GARK!

That made me flash back to one of my most horrid TV memories:

Small | Large

Yes. My family actually watched this a couple of times.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 07:18:48 AM »

I'm pretty sure it was Gerrit Graham who got electrocuted. Mind you, the character's name was Beef, so I can see how Meatloaf might come to mind.
Small | Large

I like that movie. It's just so goofy, and it does a nice job of satirizing the recording industry. I used to have the soundtrack on cassette tape many, many years ago.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 12:36:56 PM »

I'm pretty sure it was Gerrit Graham who got electrocuted. Mind you, the character's name was Beef, so I can see how Meatloaf might come to mind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8gDt_WlLJ0
I like that movie. It's just so goofy, and it does a nice job of satirizing the recording industry. I used to have the soundtrack on cassette tape many, many years ago.

I've still got it in the basement on LP somewhere.

You're right about "Beef", though. The similarity in names makes me suspect (now) he was supposed to be a Meatloaf parody. In my defense I was going by memory. I haven't seen that movie since I saw it as a teenager on HBO shortly after it came out. 1974, apparently. It might not stand the test of time, but like I say I thought it was pretty cool back then.
Ozzymandias
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 11:44:13 PM »

Ozzymandias speaks: I think what Menaaard is thinking of was a short lived prime time game show called "Who Done It?" hosted by Ed McMahon.  There was a murder play with a guest star as the victim, followed by the characters being interogated by real lawyers and detectives. Then the contestants had to decide who the killer was.

The episode in question Eric Estrada was a rock singer who was electrocuted by someone in the band. The one thing I remember vividly was F. Lee Bailey was one of the expert panel. He asked an actor playing a guitarist in the band where he was when Estrada was killed. The guy said "out having a smoke." Bailey asked "A smoke of what?" The actor was so bad he didn't get it and said. "You know a smoke." Bailley again said "A smoke of what?"  The audience is laughing (they may having been smoking the stuff Bailley was elluding to). The actor couldn't even come up with a good ad lib.

BTW, I head some where that the Mandrell Sister no longer are speaking to each other. I never liked them, especially Barbara.

Also, on the Smothers Brother DVD, Tom gives an audio intro and appologizes ahead of time. He points out that at times the show drags because of the format of the variety shows of that time.

Ozzymandias has spoken!!! 
Menaaard!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 08:56:25 PM »

Another TV game show, with a different angle, I remember from the 70s.

In this one, the two contestants (I guess actor wannabes) would compete by each watching a scene from a movie, then re-creating that scene with an actual celebrity as a partner.

Of course, the fun was the out-takes during the shoot; some flubs, some on purpose.

I recall having seen celebrity guests including Sally Struthers, William Shatner, and Milton Berle.

Anybody else recall this?

Ozzymandias
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 01:16:19 AM »

Another TV game show, with a different angle, I remember from the 70s.

In this one, the two contestants (I guess actor wannabes) would compete by each watching a scene from a movie, then re-creating that scene with an actual celebrity as a partner.

Of course, the fun was the out-takes during the shoot; some flubs, some on purpose.

I recall having seen celebrity guests including Sally Struthers, William Shatner, and Milton Berle.

Anybody else recall this?

Ozzymandias speaks: Sounds like Screen Test. The host was Don Adams from Get Smart.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 07:48:08 PM »

I have been trying in vain to find a YouTube video of a particular Incredible Hulk episode from the late 70s. Saw the end of it on one of the classic TV channels a year or two ago, and it was really goofy. As I recall, this female rocker is performing on stage with two giant (and utterly fake) Tesla coils. She's stoned or something, and starts walking toward them, when suddenly Banner Hulks out and comes running onto the stage. He gets right in the middle, where he's struck repeately by arcs of post-production electricity, while the audience applauds wildly, thinking it's all part of the show. Laughed my ass off. I just wish I could find a clip of it.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Anybody remember Erik Estrada being electrocuted... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.