Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:57:15 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I'm Officially An Uncle (but there's a problem) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I'm Officially An Uncle (but there's a problem)  (Read 7531 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: February 10, 2009, 06:47:02 PM »

It's official, I'm an uncle!

My sister and I were the only siblings left after our younger brother Cory died in a motorcycle accident in 2003.  Neither of us had kids and my parents were always wondering when they were going to be grandparents.
Their wish came true when my sister gave birth to her son recently.

There was a problem, though.
While the baby was in the womb, the doctors noticed that he had a problem with his heart.
Here is the official description of what was wrong:

He has "transposition of the great arteries with septal defect. This means that his pulmonary artery and his aorta did not crisscross and are coming out of the wrong ventricles(lower chambers of the heart). The pulmonary artery is coming out of the left ventricle which normally pumps oxygenated blood through the aorta to the rest of the body. Because of this, oxygenated blood is going right back to the lungs instead of going to the body. Which in turn, means the aorta is pumping non-oxygenated blood to the rest of the body instead of hitting up the lungs for oxygen first. The good news is that he does have a septal defect, which is a hole between the two ventricles. This for now, is what is allowing the non-oxygenated and oxygenated blood to mix before being pumped to the body. Without this hole, the chance of survival is slim."

Immediately after he was born, the doctors whisked him away to keep close tabs on him.
He required open heart surgery to fix this problem.
The good news is that out of all the possible congenital heart defects, this one is the most common.
He had his surgery the other day and he pulled through!  The doctors operated on his heart, which was the size of a walnut, for almost 8 hours.  They closed him up and he seems to be doing well.  His eyes are open and he'll grip people's fingers.
I haven't had a chance to see him yet because I've been so busy with classes.  That, and the fact that he's down at the University of Iowa hospitals which is about a half hour drive away.
My sister told me to wait because any kind of disturbance near him can send his vitals out of whack.  Even my sister and her boyfriend don't go around him too often.  Once he's more stabilized, I'll go down and meet him.
They say that he will be on medications for most of his young life, but after that, he should lead a normal life.

Check out these pictures of my nephew...

Check out his hair!

(From left to right) My sister's boyfriend Dustin, my mom, my step-dad, my sister.

Look at all that equipment!

I'll bet you want to know his name...
His name is Cory.  (after our brother)   Smile
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 01:19:42 AM by Ash » Logged
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 06:55:14 PM »

Cheers

Poor little guy, at least he's doing well.  He's a handsome lad and may he have a nice long life.  Uncle Ash needs to spoil him now.  Better learn how to change diapers.  If I could suggest anything, new parents always appreciate the little things like a person who will buy them diapers and a hot meal.  That and a person who will watch the baby so they can sleep. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Paquita

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 07:03:44 PM »

He looks like a giant healthy boy!  I'm glad to hear that he's doing well!
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 07:07:05 PM »

Another member of the ASH clan !
It can only be a good thing  Wink

Cheers

He's got cool hair ! Thumbup

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 07:30:07 PM »

My best to the little one, and I hope he thrives.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
JJ80
Nutter Magnet

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 07:31:13 PM »

Congratulations Ash! All the best!  Thumbup

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 07:39:49 PM »

Fine looking young boy there your sister had.
I do know there are no words which going to ease the fears you and your family are having right now. Been there myself with my youngest daughter who only weight 13 ounces when she was born. Just trust the doctors and staff of the neonatal intensive care unit to do what is best. They are great people and possibly the most carring staff in the entire hospital.
And conrats on the new nephew.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 08:21:08 PM »

Congrats, Ash, and that's a heck of a head of hair on your nephew!  First thing I noticed.

Seems like every baby that's been born to my family or friends lately has been a candidate for neonatal intensive care.  The work those doctors and nurses do is amazing.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 09:55:21 AM »

What a boy! other than the tubes, he looks in really good. Babies are tough little guys, they have to be to survive birth.   

I'll bet he turns out great and you'll have a lot fun teaching him bad habits.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 10:35:51 AM »

Congratulations on becoming an uncle. I hope your new nephew is home with his family very soon!  Thumbup

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
akiratubo

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 10:56:43 AM »

That and a person who will watch the baby so they can sleep.

This.  I don't have any kids, but I have a lot of friends who do, and I get invited over a lot to "visit", which usually turns out to be me playing with the kids while my friends take a nap.

You nephew looks like a tough little guy.  Spoil him rotten.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 01:03:30 PM »

Aww, that's great news that he'll be okay Ash, congrats on becoming an uncle. His hair is awesome too!  TeddyR#

I am an uncle to my sister's 4 kids, but screw me if I can remember any of their names!  Lookingup

Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 02:09:11 PM »

Uncleing is great!
I feel sorry for the poor litle guy, babies have it hard enough without extra stuff.  Give the best to your family.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 03:34:34 PM »

Congrats Ash!

I'm sure eveything will be fine. Thumbup

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 03:38:17 PM »

Congratulations to your family and the new addition! Hope his health problem is but a momentary blip in an otherwise long and healthy life.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I'm Officially An Uncle (but there's a problem) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.