Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:57:50 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Mister Rogers « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mister Rogers  (Read 5250 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: February 10, 2009, 10:51:07 PM »

You know after posting a picture of King Friday XIII in the bad movie picture war thread, it made me think of how the world has forgotten Mister Rogers.  He was a staple of my afternoon television watching as a kid.   

I've heard people hating on him in the past and quite frankly its pathetic.  Sure he was an easy target  for jokes and I've made a few in my day.  That and his world where "everyone is your friendly neighbor" may have been a bit off.  However, the guy I think was one of the last true greats and signs of innocence in children's television.  He taught manners, dealt with feelings and I think genuinely cared about kids.  It saddens me my son may never see him due to the fact I can't find his show on PBS any more.  But anyhow, I will always appreciate what he did for myself and many other kids. 

Description on youtube of the video below;
In 1969, Fred Rogers appeared before the United States Senate Subcommittee on Communications. His goal was to support funding for PBS and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, in response to significant proposed cuts by President Nixon.

Small | Large

Watch how the opposition gets melted by Fred.  RIP Mister Rogers

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 11:24:09 PM »

Didn't watch much Mr. Rogers as a kid. The Canadian equivalent was Mr. Dressup. The interesting thing is that Ernie Coombs, AKA Mr. Dressup, started as an understudy to Fred Rogers. Rogers' first show was made in Toronto by the CBC in the early 60s. Coombs came with him, but opted to stay in Canada when the show ended and Rogers returned to the USA. He was a staple of Canadian kids' television for 30 years.

Back to Rogers, I think the thing I liked about him was that in spite of his overly mellow tone and some of the superficial goofiness, his show was not dumbed down for kids. One thing that has stuck with me was that adults on his show addressed each other as adults really would. He was Mr. Rogers to the kids, but if he was talking to other adults, he was FRED Rogers. I also remember an episode that included a look at his daily routine of swimming laps, and talked about self-discipline and doing things that were good for you, even when you didn't feel like it. What kids' show ever discussed the virtues of discipline? It was great.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 09:59:22 AM »

Great commentary Andy.  I'd have to say in general not all of kid's television is a wash nowadays.  If anything, I like the way its become more interactive (Dora, Diego, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse) and I really think Mister Rogers had a major part inspiring that aspect. Having a host that greets you and talks to you throughout the episode is a lot better than being a fly on the wall. 

I think if there was a list of people I would have liked to meet, Mister Rogers would be up there in the top 5. 

DarkSider's Realm

Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 02:03:06 PM »

Funny huh... He was a genuinely decent guy who really liked what he did.  My daughter and I were watching reruns, and it was nice to have a calm guy who explained stuff in a  reasonable but not condescending way.  I was never a fan as a kid, bu I do miss the guy and his approachto treating kids like people who just needed to learn stuff, rather than a source of income or a target for entertainment.

I like the IDEA of Dors... girl explorer, teaches spanish, etc.  But why must they make the show so dang shrill????
BAckyardigans, thats quality entertaiment though.

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 09:18:04 PM »

Mister Rogers owns all.  Great show, and dearly missed.  I quite liked Mr. McFeely as well.  The postman.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 11:35:26 PM »

I like the IDEA of Dors... girl explorer, teaches spanish, etc.  But why must they make the show so dang shrill????

Yeah. I usually use the television as a distraction when I need a moment's peace and quiet. Why do I want a show that is constantly telling the kids to yell? I put a lot of effort into teaching my daughter not to yell in the house.

That and just the general dumbed-down nature of Dora. The one episode I really liked was the one with the wizard puzzle, but only because the puzzle was played by Ricardo Montalban.

---------------------
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 11:40:38 PM »

Where the heck do Dora and Diego live?  On her way to the library, Dora regularly encounters spiders on vines, crabs on vines, and snapping turtles that will bite her unless she feeds them 1 cookie each.  Not to mention the fact that the ocean around her home is filled with giant jellyfish.  Lucky for her that there are sea turtles around, but the problem with riding a sea turtle is that the sharks want to eat you.

The child mortality rate in Dora's homeland has to be awful.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 11:32:34 AM »

Where the heck do Dora and Diego live?  On her way to the library, Dora regularly encounters spiders on vines, crabs on vines, and snapping turtles that will bite her unless she feeds them 1 cookie each.  Not to mention the fact that the ocean around her home is filled with giant jellyfish.  Lucky for her that there are sea turtles around, but the problem with riding a sea turtle is that the sharks want to eat you.

Diego's relationship with animals kind of amuses me.  I'm not sure but wouldn't Pumas and Jaguars have no problem mauling a ten year old boy in the jungle?  I like how they use the term "scare" when an animal comes across a natural predator.  I guess after all its better than Diego saying, "Uh oh, its a puma.  Pumas like eating Chinchillas until nothing is left of them but a bloody mess."  Then those damn Bobo brothers...where the hell do monkeys find someone who will let them borrow a hot air balloon or a bulldozer. 

DarkSider's Realm

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 07:57:58 PM »

Dam...I wish you still hadda Karma thingy!  BounceGiggle

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ozzymandias
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 01:11:53 AM »

Ozzymandias speaks: I've heard that the "Picture picture" sequences were created by George Romero and his team.

Ozzymandias has spoken!!!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 07:44:19 AM »

Diego's relationship with animals kind of amuses me.  I'm not sure but wouldn't Pumas and Jaguars have no problem mauling a ten year old boy in the jungle?  I like how they use the term "scare" when an animal comes across a natural predator.  I guess after all its better than Diego saying, "Uh oh, its a puma.  Pumas like eating Chinchillas until nothing is left of them but a bloody mess."  Then those damn Bobo brothers...where the hell do monkeys find someone who will let them borrow a hot air balloon or a bulldozer. 

Ha ha. I remember snickering at Baby Jaguar posing for a picture with the Chinchilla family. I can almost overlook the weird predator/prey relationships, since lots of other kids' shows do the same thing. But how many Diego episodes revolve around animals needing human assistance to do things they do instinctively? The monarch butterfly needs help getting out of his cocoon, drying his wings, flying, finding his way, etc. If Diego hadn't come along, the poor bug wouldn't have had a clue. This is educational?

The Dora/Diego world has one thing going for it - really inept criminals. Public enemy #1, Swiper the Fox, makes a distinctive sound when approaching, sneaks up on people from directly in front, and gives up when told to do so. And in cases where Swiper does manage to "swipe their stuff," the worst thing he does is hide it in really obvious places.

---------------------
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 09:00:49 AM »

Ha ha. I remember snickering at Baby Jaguar posing for a picture with the Chinchilla family. I can almost overlook the weird predator/prey relationships, since lots of other kids' shows do the same thing. But how many Diego episodes revolve around animals needing human assistance to do things they do instinctively? The monarch butterfly needs help getting out of his cocoon, drying his wings, flying, finding his way, etc. If Diego hadn't come along, the poor bug wouldn't have had a clue. This is educational?

The Dora/Diego world has one thing going for it - really inept criminals. Public enemy #1, Swiper the Fox, makes a distinctive sound when approaching, sneaks up on people from directly in front, and gives up when told to do so. And in cases where Swiper does manage to "swipe their stuff," the worst thing he does is hide it in really obvious places.
Maybe Diego isn't so great after all for kids.  Perhaps now animals are unintentionally being tortured by small children who think they are "helping" them.  PETA better get on this show stat.  You guys are making me think too much.   TeddyR

Not only are the villains inept, they're also easily thwarted with the chants "Swiper No Swipy" or "Freeze Bobos".  Being the awful influence I am I often shout "cut the crap Bobos" when they appear in the show.  Luckily my son disciplines me to say "freeze".

I will say that because of Diego, my son knew what a Tapir was at 2 years old.  I knew what they were but I'll be damned if I knew what the were called...at my current age that is so I guess I learned something too.

DarkSider's Realm

Flu-Bird
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 11:38:32 AM »

I didnt hear of MR ROGERS until later i do remember CAPTIAN KANGAROO though
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Mister Rogers « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.