Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:18:33 PM
713361 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Nomi Song (2005) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nomi Song (2005)  (Read 1829 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: February 12, 2009, 03:52:03 PM »

moved from recent viewings because I wanted to adda few videos

One of the great concert movies ever is "UURRGH a music war"  which is still unreleased on DVD I think.  It shows minute long clips of all the most colorful acts of the late 70's early 80's punk new wave scene.   I must have watched it a thousand times.  one ofthe best remembered segments is Klaus Nomis "Total Eclipse of the Sun",  a corny sort of disco space rock number that perfectly showcases nomi's extreme vocal range.  A "contra tenor",  nomi could ably sing both alto and a very femine sounding soprano in a way that made him sound like a castrati or an alien. 
Small | Large

Simply a guy who enjoyed opera,  Nomi and his friends built an act around a one off performance at a sort of punk talent show where he had badly upstaged the very amateurish acts on the bill (one group lip synced with rubbery guitars).  Not Unlike fellow NY ers Blondie, Nomi decided at some point to parlay his underground success into something more professional which is where he was when "total eclipse" (which is replayed here from the Urrgh segment at the wrong speed and badly mixed) came out.  An Appearnce with Bowie on SNL and further success in Europe pointed to a bright future but it was not to be as Nomi was one of the first performers to die of the AIDS virus.  His opera flavored songs are I think his real legacy and its quite  remarkable the way he puts them in a pop context.  his more new wavey material is fun but a little silly.

Small | Large

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 03:55:21 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Nukie 2
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I did it all for the...

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 11:38:37 PM »

I was studying in the College library one day, I was so bored. Then I imagined if everyone joined hands and broke out into singing "Total Eclipse", and then I laughed really hard and tried not to be noticed.

It's sad that he never got to hit the big-time, what an original, wonderful artist!

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 12:19:06 PM »

there are lots of bands that sound like, say, Korn or something.  But if he hadn't made "total eclipse" who would have?  something to be said for being unique

I was thinking you could have a klaus nomi cover band with a guy singing the low parts and a girl singing the high parts.

check out his song "simple man"  it's similarly addictive
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Nomi Song (2005) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.