Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:10:39 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Friday the 13th remake equals moose sh!t « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Friday the 13th remake equals moose sh!t  (Read 40347 times)
Menaaard!!!
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2009, 08:07:45 AM »

again, i think that it's actually a pretty decent film.

as far as remakes are concerned, it's not as good as john carpenter's "the thing", or rob zombie's "halloween", but it's a damned sight better than the "dawn of the dead" and "psycho" remakes.

i think it really says a lot about someone if they go to see a remake, or even a sequel of a friday the 13th film, after how bad "jason goes to hell" was, and complains about how bad it was.

We are on opposite sides of the aisle on that one; I thought Jason Goes to Hell was one of the better ones. Of course, if someone is wanting Jason in the movie, then that's probably going to disappoint. TeddyR

I missed going to see the movie on Friday the 13th; it's just not the same if you don't see one on that day.

I had seen parts 3 and 6 in the theatre. Was disappointed with both of them, so disappointment is nothing new with a Friday the 13th film, and generally an expectation. Interesting franchise, or fandom, where, despite expecting to be disappointed with one of the films, there's still the urge to watch it.

I missed going the see this on Friday the 13th, which really would have been the only reason I would have wanted to see it. Seems like a throwback to the 80s; go to see a Friday the 13th movie on Friday the 13th and leave the theatre wondering why in the hell you went.

I guess Jason has power over Michael Bay. I have no interest in any film in which he is in any way associated. After what he did to Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I have yet to forgive the bastard.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2009, 09:49:54 AM »

On the whole, I didn't hate it.  I can't hate any Jason movie. 

again, i think that it's actually a pretty decent film.

as far as remakes are concerned, it's not as good as john carpenter's "the thing", or rob zombie's "halloween", but it's a damned sight better than the "dawn of the dead" and "psycho" remakes.

i think it really says a lot about someone if they go to see a remake, or even a sequel of a friday the 13th film, after how bad "jason goes to hell" was, and complains about how bad it was.

We are on opposite sides of the aisle on that one; I thought Jason Goes to Hell was one of the better ones. Of course, if someone is wanting Jason in the movie, then that's probably going to disappoint. TeddyR

I had seen parts 3 and 6 in the theatre. Was disappointed with both of them, so disappointment is nothing new with a Friday the 13th film, and generally an expectation. Interesting franchise, or fandom, where, despite expecting to be disappointed with one of the films, there's still the urge to watch it.

I don't know.  I liked parts 3 & 6 for the most part.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2009, 01:21:32 PM »

Hello all - long time.  Anyway, I had to post on this since I reviewed all of the F13s so far.  Went on opening weekend and I thought it was ok - didn't have high expectations. Dragged my g/f along and she said I'd be going alone next time if I decided to see it again :) haha

Anyway, great references to parts 1, 2, 3, and 4 - the kills were brutal and Derek Mears was a beast as Jason.  Sorry, I'm of the old school of thought on Jason - liked the human one way better. Zombie Jason is so far removed from reality that you just can't relate (although I do like that version but just not as much). Hick retard in the woods with a knife is actually possible.

Anyway, loved the visual references throughout. Loved the arrow-to-the-head, the sleeping bag kill, and the slow screwdriver.

I was reading some funny ass comments on  IMDB.  People are actually complaining about the dialog, the stupid teenagers, the plot holes and such and I'm thinking "WTF did you expect?" - I mean, this isn't Kubrick -it's low culture and I love every bit of its crappiness.  Those that thought the first ones were masterpieces really need to rewatch them.  I think some had their expectations way too high. 

I myself was counting on (and would have been disappointed without) the cheezy dialog, the douchebag characters, and the inept cops -all trademarks of a F13 flick.

Anyway, I'll be writing up a review for this one too, but it won't be anytime soon.

I say just enjoy it for what it is, a big dumb slasher flick that brings Jason back into the spotlight. After Jason X, things can only go up, ya know?

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
Menaaard!!!
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2009, 03:49:25 PM »

Hello all - long time.

Welcome back Clock.

I was thinking of starting a thread, telling you to get your F13 franchise loving ass back here.

I'm running out of people on here with good repartee to my...ahem...good natured charm.

It's lonely at the top. TeddyR
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2009, 06:39:47 PM »

Hey Menard - what is up? Thanks for the hello. I've been absent for awhile because I've been working my ass off :), which is great considering a year ago I was having a lot of trouble finding employment. Check this -they hired 4 of us for this contract/project and they've gradually cut everyone else -I'm the only one left. Suffice to say, I confronted the boss about it, worried that I'd be next. I was told that due to my hard work and due to me volunteering to do extra work, they plan to hire me in full time in June.  That's great and all but a lot can happen between now and June, but still; it's good news!

Anyway, yeah I had to make time to come and post for the Friday the 13th. I'm running short on time right now, so I'll have to come back later and talk about it some more. 

Hope everyone is doing well!

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2009, 06:44:08 PM »

I saw this at a midnight screening, with a pretty good crowd.  Amazingly, only one douchebag teen in the entire theatre insisted on texting during the movie.  That's a low for a movie with that big of an audience.

I enjoyed it.  I also have to say that the F13th series is one basically immune to pandering.  You have to remember what the movies were in the first place - cheap, quickly produced fodder for kids.  They never really had much deep artistic value, so I don't think the series CAN be cheapened any more than it has been. 

Other than a crap ending (par for the course in a F13th film), I thought it was solid.  The best of the more recent horror remakes actually. 
Torgo

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2009, 08:29:49 PM »

After Jason X, things can only go up, ya know?

The only thing that Jason X has going for it is that it contains one of the greatest Jason kills in F13th history:

Small | Large

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2009, 10:22:18 PM »

Guess I'm one of the few people that likes Jason X, as well as Jason Takes Manhattan. 

I have to go back and rewatch the franchise, but a quick question that I'm pondering: Jason did die at some point in part 1, as a child, right?  Then he shows up in the sequel as a deformed adult.  So was he alive the whole time, or did he just age and decompose under the lake until his mother bit the dust, then feel the urge to comeback and kill?

I remember at one point, I think in Jason X, the scientists said something about studying his dna and skin tissue, as they were looking for the thing that made him keep regenerating body parts. 

I dunno.  I'm bored.

Menaaard!!!
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2009, 11:04:18 PM »

Guess I'm one of the few people that likes Jason X, as well as Jason Takes Manhattan. 

I have to go back and rewatch the franchise, but a quick question that I'm pondering: Jason did die at some point in part 1, as a child, right?  Then he shows up in the sequel as a deformed adult.  So was he alive the whole time, or did he just age and decompose under the lake until his mother bit the dust, then feel the urge to comeback and kill?

I remember at one point, I think in Jason X, the scientists said something about studying his dna and skin tissue, as they were looking for the thing that made him keep regenerating body parts. 

I dunno.  I'm bored.

Clock could answer the question better than I can, but I'll give it a whirl.

In the first movie, Jason was suppose to have died as a child.

The rationale given in the second movie which introduced Jason as the killer played it off that he survived the drowning, but was irreparably damaged by it, and being deformed at birth apparently didn't help any way, and effectively became a retarded hermit living in the woods and scavenging for a living. He may have seen the killing of his mother which may have set him off.

Of course, this rationale was provided as a supposition by Amy Steel's character and never directly stated that it was exactly what happened.

Part 3 confused the hell out of the story even more with the flashback suggesting Jason to be even older than it was suggested in part 2. Remember, Part 3 picks up right on the eve of Part 2; though Jason seems to have grown considerably, changed his style of dress, and apparently gave his head a shave just before he went out (must have been preparing for a date), even though the flashback precedes Part 2, and Jason is bald, and described as such, in the flashback.

Jason was never undead until part 6 when a rod was stuck in his body out of a fit of anger, that conveniently happened to be during a storm in which the rod was struck by lightning and he was conveniently brought back in a Frankensteinish manner; except that, of course, he was undead. Lesson learned: it is never a good idea to read a copy of The Spear of Destiny in the presence of Ron Pallilo. (try not to dwell too much on the symbolism of the book preceding Jason's resurrection)

Part 8 contradicted the deformed child angle as the young Jason was represented as a normal child before the drowning incident.

Jason was undead until apparently Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X. In Jason Goes to Hell...well I'm not too certain what he is or was, but it seems like they glossed over the zombie part and suggested some kind of evil spirit that could inhabit other living beings. Anyway, at the end, he was reborn, literally, before being destroyed again, so at least there was the suggestion that he was, once again, alive.

In Jason X, they make the reference to him having incredible regenerative powers and the inability to kill him because he would just regenerate back; which suggests, once again, that he was alive. Certainly he was a living construct after being rebuilt by nanobots in Jason X.

It seems as though New Line wanted to take him away from the decomposing zombie Jason and brought up the regenerative powers. I guess that was to get away from the eventual question of after all those years, why doesn't he just rot.

If that does not clear up any confusion, you are far from alone.
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2009, 12:34:44 AM »

I was reading some funny ass comments on  IMDB.  People are actually complaining about the dialog, the stupid teenagers, the plot holes and such and I'm thinking "WTF did you expect?" - I mean, this isn't Kubrick -it's low culture and I love every bit of its crappiness.  Those that thought the first ones were masterpieces really need to rewatch them.  I think some had their expectations way too high.

that's my point exactly.

i'd also like to ad that i, personally, think that jason x isn't altogether bad, that goes to hell is the worst in the series, and that i really actually enjoy parts 4, 5, and 6 most of all. so, i guess what i'm saying is that my opinion is only as valid as the next fan's.

Jim H

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2009, 04:20:23 AM »

Continuity is not one of the strong points of the series, that's for sure.

Basically, the way I look at it..

Jason was a deformed, possibly physically and/or mentally retarded child, who nearly drowned, but actually ended up surviving in the woods somehow.  Poorly explained.

But, he ran off and grew up in the woods by himself somehow.  Parts 2-4 he is a living, but extremely tough and extremely strong, otherwise normal person.

Part 6 resurrected him as a zombie.  It's unclear whether he can regenerate in parts 6-8, but at the very least he doesn't rot - being stuck underwater for months will ruin ANY normal corpse.  I just like to think evil/power gradually built up in him, and eventually he was more "organic", leading to the regenerating Jason in Jason X and Freddy VS Jason. 

As for Jason Goes To Hell, it basically threw out all semblance of continuity with the series, so I treat it as separate from the main franchise.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2009, 11:03:10 AM »

I knew in 6, Tommy Jarvis and the spike brought him back, thereby making him some sort of zombie.

I just wasn't clear on parts 2-4, as it was a poorly explained series of events of "He died, oh wait, no he didn't." 

The Halloween franchise confused the hell out of me too.  Something about a weird cult and curse that nobody knows a damn thing about. 

ds21
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2009, 12:12:06 PM »

Like I've said, I consider Friday the 13th to be the silly alternitive to Halloween's serious darkness.  Although this may be entirely unfounded, since I've only read about Friday, not actually seen any of them.

That Jason X clip was twisted, but none-the-less cool.

I am David
David I am

Making the world a little more random since 1989.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2009, 08:53:33 PM »

Like I've said, I consider Friday the 13th to be the silly alternitive to Halloween's serious darkness.  Although this may be entirely unfounded, since I've only read about Friday, not actually seen any of them.

That Jason X clip was twisted, but none-the-less cool.
The Friday movies are fun.  Silly, but fun nonetheless.  Lots of fun kills throughout the series.  Part 3 was a 3-D flick, which I'm sure was good on the big screen.  But it's laughable on dvd. 

Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2009, 10:45:02 PM »

But what says that an undead person can't be regenerative?

Maybe the lightening bolt that hit him in part 6 boosted his metabolism and healing capabilities?

I agree with you all, Goes To Hell does throw it all off track. The evil spirit scenerio sucks-- unless there was an evil spirit in that lightening bolt. But if that is to written in a movie, it sounds pretty stupid.

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Friday the 13th remake equals moose sh!t « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.