Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:33:18 PM
714223 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Friday the 13th remake equals moose sh!t « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Friday the 13th remake equals moose sh!t  (Read 40571 times)
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2009, 09:48:34 AM »

I must be the only person on Earth who enjoyed JASON GOES TO HELL.  Bluesad
Yeah...I know it was a rip-off of the HIDDEN.....
I'll give you this much, it was much better than part 5.  But for some reason, I just avoid it.  But tastes are a little askew.  I mean, I do like Jason Takes Manhattan, and that seems like the bastard child of the series. Bluesad

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2009, 12:25:03 PM »

I'll give you this much, it was much better than part 5.  But for some reason, I just avoid it.  But tastes are a little askew.  I mean, I do like Jason Takes Manhattan, and that seems like the bastard child of the series. Bluesad

Jason Takes Manhattan is my favourite, followed by Parts 2, 6 and 7.

Menaaard!!!
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2009, 12:51:22 PM »

Jason Takes Manhattan is my favourite, followed by Parts 2, 6 and 7.

RC is not alone in liking Jason Goes to Hell as I liked that very much; it doesn't drag like so many of the others do.

Jason Does Manhattan, on the other hand, is only salvaged by the rooftop boxing scene; but it's pretty much the bottom of the barrel of the series. Though, as I think we have alluded to throughout this thread, which ones we like and don't like are more a matter of personal taste and not necessarily whether any one is better than the others.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2009, 09:28:05 PM »

RC is not alone in liking Jason Goes to Hell as I liked that very much; it doesn't drag like so many of the others do.

Jason Does Manhattan, on the other hand, is only salvaged by the rooftop boxing scene; but it's pretty much the bottom of the barrel of the series. Though, as I think we have alluded to throughout this thread, which ones we like and don't like are more a matter of personal taste and not necessarily whether any one is better than the others.
That's a valid point.  Especially considering the fact that, well, all the Friday movies are equivalent to a steaming pile of crap in a bag.  Dont' get me wrong, I love the series.  But none of them are really 'good' in the traditional sense. 

It's all a matter of which of the series you prefer to watch.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2009, 08:35:55 AM »

Part 1 - didn't like it, too cheesy and silly.
Part 2 - Probably my favorite slasher of all time.  Great characters, "scary" atmosphere, awesome.
Part 3 - Another favorite.  Characters, atmosphere, some funny stuff too.
Part 4 - didn't care for it.  Characters were too clichéd, though the last girl was good.  And sexy.
Part 5 - Awesome fun.
Part 6 - kind of boring really.
Part 7 - was that the Carrie one?   It was fairly good.
Part 8 - Manhattan?  Just terrible.  Started out like a Lifetime movie of the week, featured some atrocious acting, only good part was the rooftop boxing scene.
Jason Goes to Hell - the only Friday movie I turned off halfway through.  Did the people who made this ever see a Friday film before?  I couldn't figure out who these people were and I certainly didn't care.
Jason X - Awesome!  One of my favorites.

As far as this new one, I might pick it up on DVD when used copies get down to a dollar or two.  I've read some moderately favorable reviews of it.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2009, 02:05:01 PM »

I saw the remake yesterday, so here's my summation on the series as a whole.

The Original - Betsy Palmer makes a great psycho, great ending, the opening segment with the first girl getting killed after we spend 10 minutes following her story surprised me. I thought she'd be the hero. Great Savini gore effects and Kevin Bacon getting the archery tracheotomy. Not a great movie on its own, but a few shining moments and it does set the groundwork for a bad movie slasher legacy. 3/5

Part 2 - As stated before (and I see shared with several members here), my favorite of the bunch. I think the pacing is great, the gore is plentiful, Ginny is by far my favorite heroine of any movie (she breaks a chair on Jason, and goes at him with a chainsaw!), I actually liked much of the cast in some way and was somewhat invested in their deaths, there's that great moment of panic when Ginny and Paul are in the unlit room and she screams "Paul! There's someone in this f*cking room!", and though Jason is presented as a legitimate mongoloid menace he's also very human and fallible. He falls off of a chair, the handle of his pitchfork breaks on him, he wears that goofy sack over his head, he gets scared when Ginny tries to chainsaw him, he makes grunting sounds, and he RUNS! 5/5

Part 3 - The evolution of Jason continues as he dons his trademark hockey mask and dark blue overalls. The cheesy 3-D moments make for a great drinking game every time something is trust at the camera and the violence gets brutal. Couldn't stand the character of Shelly and his simple throat slashing didn't justify all the time we were forced to deal with him on screen, though I did feel bad when the Tommy Chong couple was killed off. The biker gang stuff felt tacked on just to prove that Jason was badass enough to kill typical '80s movie biker thugs. The movie also made Jason more depraved by giving him a rapist type flashback moment and scarring a lot of souls with that look on his face in his final scene. Unnerving. 4/5

Part 4 - What new stuff can you bring to the series? Kill Jason. Let Corey Feldman dress himself up like Kid Jason and stab the big ghoul in the head with his own machete. But before that, let Crispen Glover dance around like he's having an epileptic fit. Anyone else seen the "Back in Black" clip of this on YouTube where they describe how the dancing was originally intended? It's much more memorable the way it ended up. As for the movie itself? Didn't make a big impression on me despite the Tom Savini kills and Alice Cooper's "Man Behind the Mask" theme song. It's my fiancee's favorite, but I think that's just because she has a crush on Crispen Glover. 2.5/5

Part 5 - The series takes a swerve by using a copycat killer and making us think the whole time that it's actually Tommy's doing. I actually like it because despite being little more than a series of slasher movies, at least there's always some kind of twist to make each installment unique. The pacing felt good, the movie felt fun, watching the inbred hillbilly mother and son getting offed was enjoyable, and I always get a laugh out of the little joke where the sheriff is talking to himself like all movie cops do at some point or another, only to have Roy the ambulance driver say, "Were you talking to me, Sheriff?". It's a subtle, strange little moment that always makes me laugh. I like Roy's death, I like the swerve they took with the ending, and I just liked it. After Return of the Living Dead I always like to see Miguel Nunez, so his brief stint as Demon was a personal highlight... though I'll never understand that outhouse duet he does with his girlfriend...4/5

Part 6 - Start of Super Zombie Jason (all a body needs is high doses of electricity apparently to bring it back to life...) always p**sed me off for a few reasons: in Part 5 they said Jason had been cremated yet here he's a rotting corpse, Jason wears work gloves and a "serial killer utility belt" for some reason, a girl's face is molded into the side of an RV like it was built out the T1000, and Tommy somehow randomly deduces that trapping Jason in the waters of Crystal Lake will kill him... WHAT?! But, I did enjoy the brutality of some of Jason's kills using his new super zombie strength, I'm always a fan of a good outboard motor attack, as stated before I'm a huge proponent of Return of the Living Dead so seeing Thom Matthews as Tommy was entertaining, and you can't not like a movie where Ron Pallilo gets his sweat hog ass killed! 3.5/5

Part 7 - Previously my favorite simply because it had SZ Jason fighting pseudo-Carrie, but dropped down in the ranks after I watched it a few more times and started noticing bad edits. Still, it has the classic "sleeping bag" kill, the aforementioned "Jason vs. Carrie" fight, the guy from Weekend At Bernies gets killed (righteously so), Jason whips out his souped-up weed-whacker, John Carl Buechler gives us what would become the definitive zombie Jason (complete with that awesome exposed spine and mauled face!), and this was the beginning of Kane Hodder's four-film run as Jason. 4/5

Part 8 - The infamous "Jason Takes Manhattan" that I have to agree with most people as it being the suckiest of the group. Why would Jason even leave Crystal Lake in the first place!? I guess for a series that has to bring in some new plot twist for each installment, the best they could think up was, "let's take Jason into the city!". A novelty that no doubt inspired future such sequel Babe: Pig in the City. Featuring all of 2 minutes of actual Manhattan footage, there are only two moments I can even consider as being highlights for this one: Jason scaring off a gang of punks (thought killing them would've made more sense) and the always enjoyable "decapitation uppercut" roof boxing match. Everything else was just baaaaaad. 1/5

Jason Goes to Hell - ...and so does the audience. I'll give it to the creative staff behind it though, they didn't just go for something slightly different for the formula here, they went so far over the top that it's a whole different movie... or, as was mentioned in the thread earlier, they remade it into The Hidden. Personally, the only high points for me were Jason's run-in with the SWAT team (why did nobody think of doing something like this before in regards to a monster who's killed something like 60 people before?!), the use of both the Necronomicon and the ceremonial dagger props from Army of Darkness, the Evil Dead style "giant demon arms exploding from the monster" finish, and the big *wink*wink* Freddy glove ending. 2/5

Jason X - Once again borrowing from other horror movies of the time, Jason's send off into space was another case of "something different, but nothing new". The simulation kill was the best scene, and the movie looked like a well budgeted sci-fi flick, but even after the Super Zombie thing and body jumping thing, this was a little too goofy for even my tolerance. The first F13 movie I saw at the theater and the last call for Kane Hodder's rendition of the Big J. 3/5

Freddy vs. Jason - After a decade of re-writes and rights conflicts it finally came together. I was expecting some kind of epic reach at sending it WAY over the top in terms of story, like Goes to Hell, but instead it wound up being a very simple, basic little slasher flick that fit both characters well and felt like a return to basics after Jason's last few outings. Nothing overly complicated, no messing with the characters' backstories (I thought for sure they'd make Freddy turn out to be Jason's father ala Luke and Vader), just straight forward slaughter of high school students. Granted, the final battle was overly "actiony", but with studio money and the build up to a face-off fans have been waiting decades for, you expected it. 4.5/5

The Remake - Beyond picking out the pieces they borrowed from each of the first four movies, I was bored. I'm not even being a "purist" and hating on it because it's a remake produced by Michael Bay. I didn't hate it, I was just so BORED by it! Nothing new. Nothing interesting. The ending was one of those "why do these people have no common sense?!" situations that just left me with a bad taste in my mouth when it was all over. Blah. Crap. Slick looking, over produced, boring crap. 2/5

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2009, 02:34:35 PM »

Part 4 - What new stuff can you bring to the series? Kill Jason. Let Corey Feldman dress himself up like Kid Jason and stab the big ghoul in the head with his own machete. But before that, let Crispen Glover dance around like he's having an epileptic fit. Anyone else seen the "Back in Black" clip of this on YouTube where they describe how the dancing was originally intended? It's much more memorable the way it ended up. As for the movie itself? Didn't make a big impression on me despite the Tom Savini kills and Alice Cooper's "Man Behind the Mask" theme song. It's my fiancee's favorite, but I think that's just because she has a crush on Crispen Glover. 2.5/5

Dude, "Man Behind The Mask" was from Part 6. (I sound like a geek now)  TeddyR

Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2009, 12:02:51 AM »

I saw the new one today.  I've never seen any of the prior Jason movies.  I've never seen any of the Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street movies.  I went in, effectively, a slasher movie virgin.  I knew the basic tropes, but that was it.

I loved it.

It was everything I felt I could ask for in a slasher movie. 

I'll probably be seeing it again soon. 

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2009, 12:14:50 PM »

I saw the new one today.  I've never seen any of the prior Jason movies.  I've never seen any of the Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street movies.  I went in, effectively, a slasher movie virgin.  I knew the basic tropes, but that was it.

I loved it.

Holy cream crackers catwoman! Just wait 'til you watch all the old 80's slasher flicks!

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2009, 12:16:19 PM »

I loved it.

Holy cream crackers catwoman! Just wait 'til you watch all the old 80's slasher flicks!

Hasn't seen Halloween!!!! Buggedout

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Saucerman
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2009, 12:31:38 PM »

The lovely young lady I saw it with has requested a weekend of my time to show me all the classics. 

Menaaard!!!
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2009, 03:12:21 PM »

I loved it.

Hasn't seen Halloween!!!! Buggedout

I've got to agree.

How can you not have at least seen Halloween with as many times as it has been on television?
Saucerman
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2009, 08:12:13 PM »

I blame it on a general lack of interest in slasher movies, preferring the cheesy radiation-spawned monsters of the 1950s.  I've only just begun to diversify.

ds21
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2009, 08:46:21 PM »

You may be disappointed with Halloween... it's pretty sophisticated.

I am David
David I am

Making the world a little more random since 1989.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2009, 10:39:24 PM »

The lovely young lady I saw it with has requested a weekend of my time to show me all the classics. 
Even better when you see it with a date, so to speak.  Which ones are you seeing?  Friday? Nightmare? Halloween?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Friday the 13th remake equals moose sh!t « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.