Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:38:40 AM
713399 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Friday the 13th remake equals moose sh!t « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Friday the 13th remake equals moose sh!t  (Read 40346 times)
Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »

The lovely young lady I saw it with has requested a weekend of my time to show me all the classics. 
Even better when you see it with a date, so to speak.  Which ones are you seeing?  Friday? Nightmare? Halloween?

Yes.  Her insistence is on the highlights of each series, plus Hellraiser 1 and 2. 

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2009, 10:47:49 PM »

The lovely young lady I saw it with has requested a weekend of my time to show me all the classics. 
Even better when you see it with a date, so to speak.  Which ones are you seeing?  Friday? Nightmare? Halloween?

Yes.  Her insistence is on the highlights of each series, plus Hellraiser 1 and 2. 
That's a close one.  Me, personally, would say the highlights of Friday would be 1, 2, 4, and 8.  Friday part 4 was great, having both Crispin Glover and Corey Feldman in it.  Can't top that.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Menaaard!!!
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2009, 12:56:02 AM »

That's a close one.  Me, personally, would say the highlights of Friday would be 1, 2, 4, and 8.  Friday part 4 was great, having both Crispin Glover and Corey Feldman in it.  Can't top that.

Lookingup

Obviously somebody is a masochist.

Let's at least share our histories with the F13 franchise; perhaps we can understand each of our psychosis with this (I'll never understand why somebody would think Jason Does Manhattan is a highlight TongueOut).

My first Friday film was part 3. I was not a fan of the franchise at the time, and for years to come. I had already subjected myself to more than enough slasher films at the drive-in, and being that I could see 3 or 4 movies in one night versus 1 in a walk-in, it seemed more budget friendly.

The only reason I went to see part 3 was the 3D. Comin' at Ya had hooked me on 3D movies, so I caught one whenever it came out. Well, at least I got a poster out of it; and it was way cooler than the movie.

Either on TV, or perhaps a rental (though I think it was a TV edit) I caught the first movie; after having seen part 3. Not having been familiar with the franchise beyond part 3, I was naturally expecting Jason; well, he was sort of there. I must say that the discovery of the killer was quite disappointing. Of course, I probably would have thought differently if I had seen this in a different order rather than expecting a killer to compare to Jason and instead finding it unbelievable that this woman was responsible for all of this (that's okay...Sleepaway Camp was even more ridiculous).

My next, I believe, Friday movie was part 6. I had seen this in the walk-in. Again...disappointed. Though I thought super zombie Jason was cool, it seems like the film-makers tried to make too much of the rest of the movie a comedy. The comedy aspects just didn't work for me, and if you can claim a Friday movie to have even less character development than normal...this is it. At the time, I did not pick up on a correlation between Tommy reading a copy of The Spear of Destiny and Jason's resurrection; though that could have been a coincidence as it seems that he had a handful of books on the occult that were available off the shelf at the time.

I don't recall when it was that I had first seen part 2. Certainly part 2 makes up for any lacking in the rest of the series. It's shorter than most of the others, but has more character development and story, not to mention the best final girl, and the finest ass on any camp counselor in these movies. The art direction alone that was put into Jason's hermit shack (whatever you want to call it) was amazing; it so looked like something you probably would find a retarded hermit psychopath living in.

I don't remember much of part 4. I caught it on cable and I think I dozed off. I just remember it being dull and the kid having shaved his head, sort of, and hacking away at Jason.

I caught parts 5, 7 and 8 on a, of all things, Friday the 13th weekend on, I believe, the Sci-Fi Channel.

I found part 7 to be entertaining, primarily the beating the girl gave Jason; though the ending was somewhat...well...Friday the 13thish.

Parts 5 and 8 are something I could have done without; and that's in comparison to the rest of the series. If I had wanted to see someone who is not Jason as the killer, I would have gone back to part 1. If it were not for the rooftop boxing scene, part 8 would have been a total wash.

All of my Friday watching has been out of order. I never gave a damn about the series; I frankly tried to avoid it after having seen so many of them. the thought of watching Jason Goes to Hell did not appeal to me at all; especially after Jason Does Manhattan.

I had seen a clip from Jason goes to hell on a DVD called Boogeymen, or something like that; which was nothing more than a collection of clips from various horror movies. Well, the clip intrigued me, and I had a copy of it on MovieCD; that's right, I watched it on my computer.

Perhaps I was expecting less, or I don't know what I was expecting. At first, I was looking to dislike Jason Goes to Hell, particularly since it became apparent early on that it would not be Jason (Kane Hodder) as the actual killer, but somebody possessed by him...his spirit...his larvae...or whatever the hell you call it.

At the same time I was thinking 'this is stupid', I found myself quite enjoying the movie. It moved at such a pace that I didn't have time to get bored with it or think it was too stupid to continue, as is too often the case with the rather anemic pace of some of the earlier entries in the franchise.

Of course there were dumb things throughout Jason Goes to Hell; after all, it's an F13, goddammit. What, you expect Shakespeare?

What Jason Goes to Hell did have, at least that appealed to me, was 90 minutes of entertainment. Of course, for some Friday fans who would have preferred to be bored to tears waiting for something to happen...well. I guess that would be understan...oh, hell no it wouldn't.

Yes, Jason goes to hell changed the backstory, but so has every other entry in the series. I didn't give a damn about the series, consistency, or anything like that, and, perhaps for its difference, Jason Goes to Hell got me interested in the series.

Of course, I had seen most of the movies by them, but I re-watched some, and Had not seen Jason X.

Jason X was a mixed bag for me. Overall, though, it was entertaining. The characters in it were annoying, and deserved to be offed; I found myself rooting for Jason. The android to me was super annoying, and the best thing that happed to her was when she got her head lopped off; but she kept talking, just shove something in her mouth (every one of you should be ashamed of yourselves for thinking that). And last, but far from least, where the hell is the T&A?

Certainly the franchise is one of films that are more of personal taste than whether or not any of them are good, or even better than one another.

Even though I don't like several of them, I can understand the appeal of some of those to others.

Part 4 was more dark and brutal, and I think it would have probably been received better if I had seen it on the big screen or as something other than to fill some time as there was nothing else on of interest.

Part 5 didn't appeal to me for the lack of Jason. It just seemed more of a  poor murder mystery with gore. Though compared to other slasher films that aren't part of the franchise, it probably is just as enjoyable, perhaps even more so than some of them; I just couldn't get into it as I knew it wasn't Jason behind the mask and that alone did not seem that threatening.

Part 6 was Jason on steroids. It is definitely understandable why someone could like that more than I did. Jason rocks in it; it, for me, was just that the rest of it didn't.

Part 8 was...oh dear god...what a steaming pile of crap. I'm sorry, but I just cannot fathom somebody not only liking that, but thinking it is one the better ones...seek therapy Lookingup. Perhaps if they made this into a 15 minute short where Jason offs those on the boat, Jason takes his jaunt through Manhattan (the part we we waited that damn long for), Jason takes on the gang, Jason in the rooftop boxing scene (admittedly...one of the most memorable scenes in any of the movies), and do away with that stupid ending...instead have something like in King Kong vs. Godzilla where Jason swims out to sea.

Yes, the series is admittedly likable by some. No, I don't think anybody can provide a rational explanation for that.
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2009, 02:19:50 AM »

wow, the snobbery coming from B MOVIE FANS in this thread is really ironic.

maybe the dude just liked the movie because... gee, i dunno... it's not a bad film, and it appeals to what he expects out of a movie?!

furthermore, honestly, some of the films that you guys are putting above this one in terms of quality are, when viewed without knowing how revered they are, aren't all that hot. halloween? if you've seen bay of blood (aka: twitch of the death nerve), isn't really so great. sure, it has more tradition, fan admiration, sequels, and all of that, but if it just doesn't appeal to you, it just doesn't matter.

Jim H

« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2009, 05:44:32 AM »

On a semi-related note, the "stupendous" boobs in one scene in the remake are the best naked breasts I've ever seen in a horror film.  Which is kind of funny because of the context of the scene.
Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2009, 07:15:33 AM »

On a semi-related note, the "stupendous" boobs in one scene in the remake are the best naked breasts I've ever seen in a horror film.  Which is kind of funny because of the context of the scene.

Agreed.  Much better than the ones on the first chick to get naked -- those just looked so painfully fake to me. 

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2009, 07:30:20 AM »

in Jason takes Manhattan, when he gets off the boat and starts walking along he walks past some guys with a ghetto blaster and the rap song playing goes something like:

"welcome to manhattan
-something something something-
if the drugs don't get you then the hookers will"

anyone know what that track is? Ive been trying to I.D. it for years

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Menaaard!!!
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2009, 08:08:49 AM »

maybe the dude just liked the movie because... gee, i dunno... it's not a bad film...

Perhaps with the exception of part 2, all of the Friday films are bad movies.

Didn't you notice the sign when you walked into this place? It's called BadMovies.org

furthermore, honestly, some of the films that you guys are putting above this one in terms of quality are, when viewed without knowing how revered they are, aren't all that hot. halloween?

You call us (well specifically me) snobs, then you trash Halloween; and in a grammatically horrible manner?

We trash the Friday films, and yet we still love them.

Why? Hell if I know.

There's some stuff that Friday films are better than; if for nothing else, just simply for its entertainment value (and often, that is the only reason). Halloween ain't one of those things that Friday is better than.

if you've seen bay of blood (aka: twitch of the death nerve), isn't really so great. sure, it has more tradition, fan admiration, sequels, and all of that, but if it just doesn't appeal to you, it just doesn't matter.

I'm not certain which comparison you are making there. Friday compared to Bay of Blood? Halloween compared to Bay of Blood?

What we have been having here is an intelligent...

No...wait a minute...that's not it.

An analytical....

Uhmmm...not it either.

Oh hell....a bunch of boys talking about who has the nicest ass...and this girl and her sisters are all named Friday. We're not admiring their intelligence.

Is that snobbish enough for you?
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2009, 10:11:28 AM »

Part 4 - What new stuff can you bring to the series? Kill Jason. Let Corey Feldman dress himself up like Kid Jason and stab the big ghoul in the head with his own machete. But before that, let Crispen Glover dance around like he's having an epileptic fit. Anyone else seen the "Back in Black" clip of this on YouTube where they describe how the dancing was originally intended? It's much more memorable the way it ended up. As for the movie itself? Didn't make a big impression on me despite the Tom Savini kills and Alice Cooper's "Man Behind the Mask" theme song. It's my fiancee's favorite, but I think that's just because she has a crush on Crispen Glover. 2.5/5

Dude, "Man Behind The Mask" was from Part 6. (I sound like a geek now)  TeddyR

Damn it, you're right CC. Nobody tell my fiancee or she's liable to disown me. Bluesad

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2009, 10:52:34 AM »

maybe the dude just liked the movie because... gee, i dunno... it's not a bad film, and it appeals to what he expects out of a movie?!

furthermore, honestly, some of the films that you guys are putting above this one in terms of quality are, when viewed without knowing how revered they are, aren't all that hot. halloween? if you've seen bay of blood (aka: twitch of the death nerve), isn't really so great. sure, it has more tradition, fan admiration, sequels, and all of that, but if it just doesn't appeal to you, it just doesn't matter.
I just really liked Friday part 4.  Nobody else does, apparently.  Don't really care if they do or not. 

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2009, 11:03:48 AM »

Even better when you see it with a date, so to speak.  Which ones are you seeing?  Friday? Nightmare?

Lookingup

Obviously somebody is a masochist.

I don't remember much of part 4. I caught it on cable and I think I dozed off. I just remember it being dull and the kid having shaved his head, sort of, and hacking away at Jason.

Jason X was a mixed bag for me. Overall, though, it was entertaining. The characters in it were annoying, and deserved to be offed; I found myself rooting for Jason. The android to me was super annoying, and the best thing that happed to her was when she got her head lopped off; but she kept talking, just shove something in her mouth (every one of you should be ashamed of yourselves for thinking that). And last, but far from least, where the hell is the T&A?

Certainly the franchise is one of films that are more of personal taste than whether or not any of them are good, or even better than one another.

Part 4 was more dark and brutal, and I think it would have probably been received better if I had seen it on the big screen or as something other than to fill some time as there was nothing else on of interest.

Part 6 was Jason on steroids. It is definitely understandable why someone could like that more than I did. Jason rocks in it; it, for me, was just that the rest of it didn't.

Part 8 was...oh dear god...what a steaming pile of crap. I'm sorry, but I just cannot fathom somebody not only liking that, but thinking it is one the better ones...seek therapy Lookingup. Perhaps if they made this into a 15 minute short where Jason offs those on the boat, Jason takes his jaunt through Manhattan (the part we we waited that damn long for), Jason takes on the gang, Jason in the rooftop boxing scene (admittedly...one of the most memorable scenes in any of the movies), and do away with that stupid ending...instead have something like in King Kong vs. Godzilla where Jason swims out to sea.

Yes, the series is admittedly likable by some. No, I don't think anybody can provide a rational explanation for that.
Like you said, it's all a matter of personal taste.  Hell, you like Jason Goes to Hell, my least favorite of the franchise.  I don't dislike any of them, but there's ones I prefer to watch more than others.  After all, this is a site that celebrates B-Movies, bad movies, etc.  Friday parts 4 and 8 are probably the worst of the franchise, bad movies, and I like them.  Have I seen better movies? Yes.  But I enjoyed them for what they were.  As you said, it's not Shakespeare.  I'm not expecting Hamlet or Romeo and Juliet.  I know plenty of people who like Friday part 5, that god-awful flick, more than part 2, the 'best' of the franchise.

Jim H

« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2009, 08:19:28 PM »

I just really liked Friday part 4.  Nobody else does, apparently.  Don't really care if they do or not. 

I'd actually say it is one of the better liked entries in the series overall.  I mean, it's got Corey Feldman in it, and Crispin Glover dancing.  It also has the hacksaw to the neck kill, one of the best in the entire series.  I dunno, I quite enjoy it.

I actually think part 2 is a less entry in the series, which puts me in the minority.  I must admit it has been quite a while since I've seen it though.  Kind of fun trying to rank the series.  Keep in mind this is based off how much they entertain me, nothing else. 

Best to worst:

Freddy VS Jason
Friday Part 6
Friday Part 4
Friday Remake (pretty unsure about this one, may have to watch it again to be sure)
Jason X
Jason Goes to Hell
Friday Part 3
Friday Part 1
Friday Part 7
Friday Part 2
Friday Part 8
Friday Part 5
ds21
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2009, 10:19:17 AM »

I dunno...I saw Halloween recently, and expected it to be a boring, cheesy film...so I wasn't really expecting it to be as good as it was.

I am David
David I am

Making the world a little more random since 1989.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2009, 09:40:55 PM »

I dunno...I saw Halloween recently, and expected it to be a boring, cheesy film...so I wasn't really expecting it to be as good as it was.
The original Halloween is a classic.  Did you see the remake as well?

HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2009, 03:41:47 PM »

The original was fun in context of its time. The sequels, with the near-exception of Freddy vs. Jason were all reminders that, for a while now, the american movie-goer would rather be told they're stupid than be asked to be smart.

NONE of the originals were 'good.' Who that you respect told you the remake would be?

If your answer is "no one" then you deserve to pay to see it again.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Friday the 13th remake equals moose sh!t « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.