Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:58:21 AM
713402 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Tipping In Restaurants/Bars « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Tipping In Restaurants/Bars  (Read 7975 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: February 15, 2009, 09:04:06 AM »

How do you feel about tipping in restaurants/bars?  I've gotten into many arguments about this but I don't feel tipping should ever be based on the amount of the bill.  It makes no sense to me to give a bigger percentage to someone at the Cheesecake Factory then someone at Denny's just because the bill is higher.  Basically the service is the same, service takes your order, helps you through the meal, the end.  As for bartenders, I don't think popping the top of a beer bottle is worth a dollar tip.  Perhaps if they take time to make a mixed drink I'd give them more. 

Now let me say what I think tipping should be based on...performance.  I think I shouldn't have to wait more than 5 minutes after sitting down before someone asks for my drink order.  As for food delivery, I don't count that against the wait staff seeing the kitchen is often to blame.  However let me say, I hate having to look for the person taking care of my table.  If someone is wrong or taking longer let me know for God's sakes.  As for getting the bill and paying for it, I don't mind if they give me the check quicker than average.  At least I know its there and I can have it ready for them when they come back to take the plates away.   

I know I may sound like a prick about some of this and I know its not an easy job.  But I have to say when I go out to eat, I'm expecting great service for my money.  It takes a lot for me to stiff a waitress/waiter but I have.  One time at a place, they made a completely wrong pizza and asked if I wouldn't mind eating it because they were busy.  WTF!!!  Mix that with an inept waitress who showed up twice for the whole time it equaled no tip. 

Enough of my BS, how do you feel?

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 09:21:20 AM »

I never, ever tip anybody for anything....ever!  Wink

If I pay for a service, whoever it is, provides it. You get what you want, they get their money, everybody should be happy with that. Why on earth should you fork out more to someone just doing their job, what they're supposed to do, that they get paid for already? I expect people to do their jobs well anyway and provide good service, that's what being professional is. What I will do though, is allow stores and such like to keep change if it's only a couple of pence.

I know some people will find that to come across as tight or "stingy", but that's just my view on this.

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 12:39:45 PM »

If I pay for a service, whoever it is, provides it. You get what you want, they get their money, everybody should be happy with that. Why on earth should you fork out more to someone just doing their job, what they're supposed to do, that they get paid for already? I expect people to do their jobs well anyway and provide good service, that's what being professional is. What I will do though, is allow stores and such like to keep change if it's only a couple of pence.

I know some people will find that to come across as tight or "stingy", but that's just my view on this.

Agreed. Thumbup

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 01:33:20 PM »

Wanna know how I feel about tipping?
Watch the video below.  I totally agree with Mr. Pink.

Small | Large

(NOT SAFE FOR WORK!!)

Yes, I'm a cheap bastard!  TongueOut

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 04:55:29 PM by Ash » Logged
Javakoala
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 02:47:17 PM »

Tips are based on service. You give me good service, and you'll want to take me home to bang your mother based on my tip. You give me the minimum, you'll be lucky to buy gum with the tip. Give me bad service, I'll stiff you in two seconds and you damn well better hope I don't do my damnedest to get your fired or written up.

I have a bartender at this restaurant I go to most Saturday nights. She always gets a five dollar tip as long as my bill is at least $10.  She talks to me, makes beer suggestions, makes sure my food isn't just good but GREAT and chases away anyone who bothers me. I'd take a bullet for her in a heartbeat. That is great service.

There are waitresses in the same restaurant who can't be bothered to refill my soda even though I'm there for 40 minutes. If I feel good that day, they might get a dollar, no matter how big my bill is.

A tip should reflect the service you get. Mr. Pink is pretty much right.
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 05:32:18 PM »

Well, both my daughters have worked as waitresses and been dependent on those tips to pay the rent, so I'm a lot more sympathetic than I used to be. Plus, often the difference between 15% and 20% is less than a buck, so I'll go with the 20% more often than not. I agree with you all about bad service, but I haven't gotten a lot of that.

In places where I know and am friendly with the owners, I have the extra sympathy for the small business owner and I'll often be even more generous (but jeez, when you're talking about an $8 breakfast bill, it's not a whole lot of pain to go for $2.00 instead of $1.50).

Where I draw the line is with the tip cups at takeout counters in donut shops and Starbucks. I don't throw anything in those any more than I'd be likely to tip the cashier when I buy a pair of socks (not that we've gotten there yet in retail stores, but I won't be surprised if we ever do...)

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 06:15:37 PM »

Where I draw the line is with the tip cups at takeout counters in donut shops and Starbucks. I don't throw anything in those any more than I'd be likely to tip the cashier when I buy a pair of socks (not that we've gotten there yet in retail stores, but I won't be surprised if we ever do...)
That irks me as well.

I forgot to say in my initial posts when it comes to good service, I'm extremely generous as well.   Hell, I've even gone the extra mile to compliment on corporate numbers about awesome service (most recently with Red Robin).  Alas, some people have severely dropped the ball when it comes to service and I've called up corporate numbers to complain.  One time we were at a place where a waiter dropped a tray of drinks on my sister in law.  They at no time offered any complimentary items or offered an apology.  $100.00 in gift certificates later, they said sorry. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 06:50:09 PM »

I'll tip for a sit-down meal. I don't see any point in tipping for fast food, drinks, take-out, pizza or buffet. Somebody has to be doing more than handing me a bag or filling my water glass. Real table waiting, actually being responsible for my table the whole time I'm there, is what I consider worthy of a tip.

If the server is friendly and helpful, the service is reasonably prompt, my glass gets refilled before I have to ask, and nothing is wrong, forgotten or otherwise messed up, I'll leave a reasonably generous tip. Lacklustre service doesn't warrant a tip, and if service outright sucks (rarely happens), leaving a miniscule tip actually carries more sting than none at all.

Funny, back in my late teens/early 20s, I never tipped. I was basically Mr. Pink in that regard. The one exception I made was for waitresses who were kind of hot. Some of my friends had a similar policy. On one occasion, when we were in kind of a celebratory mood, we started one-upping each other, tossing small bills and change on the table at the end of the meal, until the lucky waitress ended up with a tip worth almost as much as the meal. We all walked out laughing about it, and the waitress got a nice surprise, although she had no clue it was because of her shapely tush and flirtatious demeanor.

These days, I try to leave a generous tip for anybody who seems to care whether I thoroughly enjoy my meal.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 07:24:11 PM »

Waitresses or servers (as they like to be called now) at  sit down restaurants get paid something like half the minimum wage and have to use tips to make up the difference.  My wife has been a waitress before and is quite aware what these people have to do to make a decent wage.

Our standard is 20% for good service and maybe a little more if the place is busy and the person serving us still manages to do a good job. 

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Menaaard!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 09:27:09 PM »

Agreed. Thumbup

You ladies should do drive-ups more often.

As Geeze said, waitresses depend on those tips to make their wages.

I think it is cheapass for the restaurant industry, and others, to get away with that as they are allowed to pay someone under minimum wage as their wages are being made up by the tips they receive; as well, since their tips comprise most of their wages, they have to report those tips as income.

You are right, it is pretty cheap to expect someone to wait on you and not even be paid minimum wage.

I do also tip hair stylists. With the glut of franchised clip shops, they don't get paid very well up front. If they are renting a booth at a stylist shop, then they have to pay that rent out of whatever they make for that day.

Though it's not about trying to make someone's wages better. If someone provides a service that was well done, and even makes it enjoyable by their presence, not only is it a way of showing appreciation, it is also a way of paying it forward to keep good service in the future.

Of course, if you are a cheap bastard and never tip anybody, if you someday discover spit in your food, well...you probably earned that. TongueOut
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 09:39:37 PM »

That irks me as well.
I forgot to say in my initial posts when it comes to good service, I'm extremely generous as well.   Hell, I've even gone the extra mile to compliment on corporate numbers about awesome service (most recently with Red Robin).  Alas, some people have severely dropped the ball when it comes to service and I've called up corporate numbers to complain.  One time we were at a place where a waiter dropped a tray of drinks on my sister in law.  They at no time offered any complimentary items or offered an apology.  $100.00 in gift certificates later, they said sorry. 
Reminds me of a long time ago when an entire tray of greasy dirty dishes, in slow motion, slid into my lap off of a server's tray - while she was "removing" them...  BounceGiggle  Makes for a good laugh, even then, but no one apologized for that sh!t.   Hatred  I go to restaurants a lot (even tonight - aside from lousy service, a $200+ check for 5 of us, and there was a beer river - but that is another story...) and have had wrong drinks, wrong dinners, neglectful servers, and tip accordingly.  Great service yields a great tip. 

Agreed. Thumbup
Are you both Scottish?   Twirling  Drink  BounceGiggle

In America, lads, servers are paid well under the minimum wage, and they all depend on tips.  It's just the way it is, though I can understand, particularly for a young person, how it would seem unreasonable to be expected to tip.  So, I tip well, especially for good service, however, bad service (though I still tip) gets a significantly reduced gratuity. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 10:15:01 PM »

When it comes to tipping, I base it on 3 factors, type of restaurant, level of service, and how big of an a$$hole I have acted like. If the place is one of these hellholes, and the wait staff member I have to deal with looks to be someone struggling to make ends meet, I tend to be a little more generous than an upscale place that likes to try to add a 20% charge on my CC if I pay with it.
If service is really bad, I tend to leave $1 or less. Way I see it, if half your wages are dependant on tips then you are going to make an effort to at least see that your customers have what they need. This doesn't mean I want them to hover over me cause that drives me just as nuts as if they had to be found with a search party and tracking dogs.
Now this doesn't happen often anymore but there are times I act like a complete a$$hole to a wait staff person. If that happens, I feel they deserve to be compensated for having to put up with me. I often leave a tip that is equal or more than my bill. My late brother, some friends, and I once left a waitress $500 in a tip at a Waffle House after having to put up with our drunken a$$es one morning. When she asked why, we told her she deserved it for putting up with our crap without tossing us out.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 11:19:08 PM »

I think it is cheapass for the restaurant industry, and others, to get away with that as they are allowed to pay someone under minimum wage as their wages are being made up by the tips they receive; as well, since their tips comprise most of their wages, they have to report those tips as income.
I agree. It seems like the whole custom of tipping has become perverted. Rather than being an incentive to give good service or an extra little gift for the front-line help, it's been factored in by the industry to pad their own bottom line, and exploited by government. I've heard that in some places, the restaurants autmatically add the tip to the bill. And a friend of mine was incensed when, on top of a pile of other added fees, the hall he booked for his wedding required a mandatory tip on top of the $10,000 rental and catering bill. Tipping should never have been formalized. It should be between the customer and the server.

I do also tip hair stylists. With the glut of franchised clip shops, they don't get paid very well up front. If they are renting a booth at a stylist shop, then they have to pay that rent out of whatever they make for that day.

Alas, 'tis a moot point for me, having mostly managed my own coiffure since the early 90s. I'd be happy to gripe about the insane price of razor blades. TeddyR

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 12:44:48 AM »

Contrary to what I posted earlier, I do tip.  Usually when I go out to eat with friends or family.  Since I rarely go out to eat at restaurants where waiters and waitresses work, it doesn't come up too often.
When it does, we all throw in like that scene from Reservoir Dogs.
That doesn't mean that I have to like it, though.

I have several friends who have waited tables in the past and we've gotten into a couple of heated discussions about tipping.  The one thing they always say is, "Just wait until you have to wait tables and see how you like it when someone stiffs you!"
I usually come back and say that I never have and never will wait tables. 
Ain't gonna happen.

I wrote a thread on tipping here on this board almost 5 years ago in March of 2004.
Read it here:  http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,62545.0.html

In that old thread, I posted a link on tipping from Howstuffworks.com.  It still is very informative.
How Tipping Works

Personally, I wish these business would pay their employees a good wage and not have them rely on tips.
Makes sense.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 12:55:22 AM by Ash » Logged
Torgo

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 12:52:31 AM »

Mr. Pink's tipping speech in Resevoir Dogs sums up my attitude towards tipping perfectly.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Tipping In Restaurants/Bars « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.