Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:48:48 PM
713372 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Whats the weirdest "music" that you listen to « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Whats the weirdest "music" that you listen to  (Read 14446 times)
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« on: February 16, 2009, 08:52:56 AM »

So over the past few years as I've moved further and further away from the overly corporate music stations, my tastes in music have been getting more ecliptic and extreme. I've gotten heavily into Grind bands like Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Anal c**t and also more into the extreme metal bands like Converge and Pig Destroyer. Now wether or not you consider this stuff music is besides the point Ive already been in endless debates with people on this subject and I don't want to hear it. I just want to know what other bizarre things people listen too out there.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 11:40:32 AM »

My range in musical taste is kind of weird.  One second I could be listening to death metal and the next cheesy R&B from the 90s and the next classical.  People are sometimes shocked when I tell them I like some rap like NWA, Lil Jon, etc.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Pilgermann
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 12:17:13 PM »

The Residents are probably as weird as my tastes get.
Small | Large

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 01:04:37 PM »

Most of what I listen to would probably be considered weird by many on this board--I tend to listen to more mellow stuff (Bing Crosby, Andrews Sisters, Manilow, etc.), as well as cornball classics like Spike Jones. I even like show tunes and genuinely enjoy Pat Boone's In a Metal Mood. But for just oddball, I'll throw this into the ring:

Elvis Schoenberg:

Small | Large

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 01:14:16 PM »

I can play Poison one minute, Slayer the next. Dark Angel one minute, Stryper the next.

I listen to heavy metal 99% of the time, but I do own albums by Phil Collins, Jennifer Rush and The Pointer Sisters.
I'm also a massive Stevie Nicks fan. Oh an I own the "Dirty Dancing" soundtrack too.  Smile

WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 02:30:49 PM »

While most of the music I listen to is Rock/Alternative...I have a strange affinity for Gregorian chants.  I just love the beautiful otherwordly quality they have to them.

And sometimes t two worlds meet.  For your listening pleasure, here is Gregorigan monks doing a cover of a Duran Duran song. 
Small | Large

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
vanlutz
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 02:41:48 PM »

While I don't listen to trash metal or death metal, there is one band if you haven't heard them, you should.

Hank Williams III. That's right, the grandson of Hank Williams, and son of Hank Jr. He does his country stuff to pay the bills, but his metal band is AMAZING. It's called ASSJACK. The first time I saw them was at CBGB's and they did their country set, then Hank said "I'll give all you country fans twenty minutes to clear out and we're gonna do our Assjack set. He then went on to play thrash music with acoustic guitar, stand-up bass, fiddle and drums. Most incredible heavy set I've ever heard.

If you like early metal, check out The Godz. They were great, but after one or two albums sunk into oblivion. Back in 77 or 78 it was a heavenly night when The Godz, Judas Priest and Angel played the Palladium. Excellent show.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 02:43:45 PM »

Back in 77 or 78 it was a heavenly night when The Godz, Judas Priest and Angel played the Palladium. Excellent show.

Judas Priest & Angel on the same bill!?..........drools  Twirling

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 03:37:43 PM »

there was an amazing avant garde group also called the godz back in the 60's.

also, honestly, I pretty much only listen to really weird music. 

Small | Large
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 03:43:18 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 04:14:10 PM »

Weirdest music I listen to?  Will you all settle for the most mind wrapping song I like?

Small | Large

Be warned!  Once you hear this song, it'll never leave you!  It's so catchy!!  Also, make sure the volume is turned down, this is one loud song.  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 04:21:31 PM »

Crazy, catchy japanese pop-rock!  TeddyR

Small | Large

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 10:03:40 PM »

You asked the wrong (right?) guy.  99% of the stuff I listen to no one's ever heard of.  Most people can scroll through dozens of artist names on my mp3 player before they see something they recognize.  More than one woman has decided not to go out with me twice after being frightened by the unfamiliar names in my music collection.

Tom Waits would be considered pretty weird to most folks, but he's about the most mainstream/poppiest singer I listen to consistently. 

I listen to a lot of classical and jazz, from all eras.  Lots of atonal/dissonant stuff in both genres.  Most people consider that stuff weird and abrasive.  I'm convinced I'm the only one who's bought albums by certain contemporary classical composers like Daniel Biro other than their students.  1920s jazz, folk and blues vintage recordings (in beautiful scratchy mono). Contemporary African folk music (Afrobeat too, but I prefer the folkier stuff).  Latin jazz.  Bluegrass.  Smithsonian Folkways field recordings.  "Outsider" recordings (music composed and played by the mentally ill, like William Shatner's "The Transformed Man" Wink). String quartet arrangements of electronica compositions.  Czech rock/blues with English lyrics that sound like they came out of Babelfish.  And so on.

I'm attracted to the same things in music that I am in movies: outrageous creativity, whether it's "good" or "bad".  Not interested in much that's mainstream.

Currently I'm listening to "Boris with Merzbow", a noisy collaboration between the experimental Japanese metal group and the "noise" artist. 

Small | Large

Insane rockabilly one-man-band Hasil Adkins:

Small | Large

Might as well throw in George Anthiel's 1924 avant-garde composition "Ballet Mecanique", since I just saw a cool documentary on it:

Small | Large

(Part I:  Catch part II here, if you can stand it:
Small | Large
Wink)

Enough rambling for now.  Wink

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Torgo

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 10:32:18 PM »

Anything off of the Mr. Bungle album "Disco Volante" is staggeringly weird.

Hell, even their 1st self titled album

is extremely weird as well.

For people who don't know Mr. Bungle was former Faith No More vocalist Mike Patton's original band that he was in prior to joining FNM in the last 80's.  He used the clout with Warner Bros. form the huge success that FNM had with their The Real Thing album to get Mr. Bungle signed.
They've only released 3 albums to date and their 3rd album California was a complete left turn with how listenable and streamlined  it was in comparison.

Here's some of their stuff:
"PLATYPUS"
Small | Large

"BACKSTROKIN'"
Small | Large

"Ma Meeshka Mow Skwoz"
Small | Large

"LOVE IS A FIST"
Small | Large

"MY @SS IS ON FIRE"
Small | Large

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 11:41:10 PM »

I generally listen to vintage Pop music, but it's mostly music that was not popular... I look for artists that sold poorly in their day like CAPTAIN BEEFHEART, THE FLYING BURRITO BROTHERS, BIG STAR, JOBRIATH...
This very accessible clip is under 3 minutes:
Small | Large

I also like Hard Bop and Cool School Jazz, some of which gets challenging, like THELONIOUS MONK (about 4 minutes):
Small | Large

I also like non-singers singing, like FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS
Small | Large

And outsider crap:
Small | Large

I like to listen to recordings like this, too (4 seconds): 
Small | Large

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 09:31:12 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 02:39:53 AM »

Besides my Punk/Hardcore/D-beat/Crust/Anarco sometimes Grind I listen too like Amebix, The Ex, Resistant Culture, Extreme Noise Terror, Cro-Mags, Germ Attack,Attak, p**sChrist,Cop On Fire,Breakdown

I do listen to some weird stuff that might not match like Kool and The Gang ,Rick James, Body Count,Joan Jett and my new favorites The Detroit Cobras.

For just really werid stuff I like the old No Wave stuff like Jesus and Mary Chain or 8 Eyed Spy and just stuff that hard to nail down like Dresden Dolls, Mika Miko and Stnnng.

Little to much name dropping but I just love music and wanted to share  Cheers

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Whats the weirdest "music" that you listen to « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.