Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:46:40 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  More Watchmen scenes released « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: More Watchmen scenes released  (Read 10069 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 21, 2009, 09:40:36 AM »

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/204937/3_new_watchmen_clips.html

http://www.youtube.com/user/soidjgndf

I've never read the comic so I don't know or care if it looks faithful to it.

Speaking of it just as a movie ... Holy crap, this looks dull and lifeless.  The girl and the owl-looking guy are awful.  Manhattan (the blue guy) and the one referred to as "Ozzy" look and sound like they're about to fall asleep.  The guy with the big shoulder pads has me interested, though.

And, yeah, the slow-mo.  Yikes.  Most of the slow-mo in 300 managed to work but it seems like it's there for its own sake in Watchmen.

If these clips are supposed to make me want to see the movie, they failed.  I'll most likely still see it, but I'll be waiting for it to hit the $2.00 theater.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 04:22:04 PM by akiratubo » Logged

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 12:25:24 PM »

I've never read the comic so I don't know or care if it looks faithful to it.

You aren't the only one who wasn't read the comic.  Heck, I never even heard of it until they released that trailer of it in The Dark Knight.

I might see this film, but I might read the comic first.  It's better to look before you dive in, right?

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 05:33:28 PM »

You'll have to read Watchmen to really understand what the big deal  is with Watchmen.  It's been kicking around in Hollywood for almost 20 years and has been considered unfilmable, but from what I've seen of it Zack Snyder has done a good job of translating it onto film.

The Nite Owl's costume was changed for the movie to make him scarier, his original suit was one of the silliest I've ever seen so this is an improvement in my opinion.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
jimmybob
Bad Movie Lover

Move over, let Jimi take over.

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 03:50:25 PM »

You should read Watchmen. It's a good book.

-Jimmybob

inframan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 03:24:57 PM »

I think it looks f-ing amazing.   Smile <-that's not a smile its the comedian's pin, before he goes through the window.

My only criticism at this point is that Night Owl should look a little fatter, I understand they wanted to update it a little but he's supposed to look a bit rediculous.
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 04:37:56 PM »

I've read the graphic novel and I  want to see the film. The scenes I've seen so far looks as if the film captured the heart of the story as best as it could in one film. Just hope that I don't have to see a lot of a naked Dr. Manhattan and his blue wang on the screen. Sure I understand why he was nude in the comic but I still don't want to see it on the big screen.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 10:58:36 PM »

Henceforth, MeQal, your Badmovies.org name shall be Blue Wang.

dean

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 07:48:54 AM »

Most of the clips I had seen already looked very much like they were capturing the visual elements of the comic book, and I have been super psyched to watch it since I saw the first details.

Though that scene with Rorschach and the Nite Owl had some TERRIBLE acting in it.  Sure, you're word for word the comic book but it just seemed so staged, and acted. 

So all in all I still think it'll be a great film, but I'm not holding my breath to call it a classic.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 01:48:05 PM »

I've seen a lot of early reviews and they all seem to say that Zack Snyder did an excellent job staying true to the comic.  They almost all agree too that the one actor that nailed his part is Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach. You may never have heard of him, but if you watched many movies or tv shows from the 70's you've most likely seen him as a kid. He was in all three Bad News Bears movies and played Billy in Damnation Alley.

My prediction is that Watchmen is not going to break any box office records.  It's rated R for one and if you have never read the graphic novel, there's an awful lot of info stuffed into a small time frame. There also not that much action in book, it's mainly a character piece so a lot of people are going to think it's boring.

As for myself I'll be there opening day, then I will be awaiting the super deluxe edition DVD to come out in November which will have the Black Freighter woven back into the story.  The Black Freighter and Hollis Mason's Under the Hood will be released on DVD sometime right after the film is released.   
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 01:56:37 PM by Trekgeezer » Logged

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Jim H

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 04:05:06 PM »

I have to say those scenes seemed awkward and off.  I also think the slow motion on the Comedian falling was OK, but the bit in the rescue looked ridiculous in the trailer and still looks ridiculous in context.

It's looking to me like it will turn out as I've been expecting - great visuals, mostly very accurate to the book, two or three great performances, but falls short dramatically and in terms of acting from the characters other than the Comedian, Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan (and possibly Ozymandias). 

Nothing in Snyder's previous works convinces me he could handle well the delicate character interaction, plotting and drama of the original comic particularly well - and I would say that's the most important part of the comic, not its visuals.

I'll still be there opening day though.
gregeryj
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 03:03:05 PM »

Alright, for all those out there who think comics need to stay in the "childrens realm." You're wrong. Yea, spiderman, batman, 300, I'm talking about everything before Watchmen. Whether it started out in the 60's as a childrens comic or it's just so hollywood in it's action scenes that you can't stand the movie, having a mentality above a 17 yr olds. Watchmen was never intended for children. Watchmen is supposed to be looked at as ridiculous to some extent, and it's supposed to make fun of batman and all the rest, because it's an anti-super hero movie. What better way to show a completely original story like this, based in reality, than with actual super heroes. Everything in this movie proven is proven wrong at one point or another, and every character is unique, complex, and very much human. Zack Snyder faithfully represented Alan Moore's master work into a movie form and I was worried, with his last film being steroid pumping, overdone 300. Praise Snyders efforts for 2 directors had failed previously at recreating the greatest graphic novel of all time. Of course he couldn't get what Moore achieved in his comics, but I think he did the best job one could've with a piece like this. Don't be a hater, if you don't have a real reason for it than don't say anything at all. Most bad criticism I see on the web for Watchmen is self-indulged, stereotypical, childs talk. Grow up. And give a good piece of work a chance.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  More Watchmen scenes released « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.