Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:53:55 PM
714191 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7733 Members
Latest Member: Mamie94489
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Gargoyles! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gargoyles!  (Read 5962 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 23, 2009, 11:22:32 AM »

Cool, I didn't realize this series was on DVD and available on Netflix.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who watched this series when I was younger, but for the uninitiated: Gargoyles was a cartoon series made in the mid-90 from Disney.  Unlike most Disney cartoons, this was a serious show, written for both adults and kids in mind.  The series centers around five Gargoyles from the early 900s who are frozen into stone by a magic spell.  Awaking in modern day Manhattan, the Gargoyles must adjust to life in a strange new world.

Anyway, I can't stress how awesome the show is, I HIGHLY recommend you view if you haven't!

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 12:33:54 PM »

Gargoyles was pretty cool, one of the last kids cartoons I used to catch before I "grew up" (If anyone believes that  Lookingup)

WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 04:54:10 PM »

I used to love this show.  It was so much better than the other cartoons Disney was producing at the time-and since.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Paquita

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 11:15:12 PM »

I have the Gargoyles board game!  I don't think I ever played it though.
Wag
Bad Movie Lover

It's a real cat and carrot situation

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 03:42:30 PM »

I watched this too, despite being considered too old to be doing so by others. I also liked the fact that it had half teh cast of The Next Generation providing their vocal talents and teh bad guy had a ponytail!!

Where the hell is that soothing music coming from?
BTM

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 07:58:16 PM »

I forgot to mention, another thing that amazed me was some of the things they got away with in an AFTERNOON cartoon.  Like a bit where a soldier tries to attack Goliath, he grabs the dude's sword, and they show his hand bleeding!  Seriously, how many times do you see blood in a cartoon?  (Well, American cartoon.)

Then there's Xanatos saying, "A man will walk through hell if you pay him enough."  Whoa, someone swore!  (Well, okay, not really, but still...)

There were some things that even disturbed me at the time, like during the City of Stone sage where Demona gleefully destroys several humans who've been turned into stone statues.  And it's like, no one jumps up to stop her in time!  Yikes!

Lots great lines, mature themes, good stuff. 

"Death is never the answer, life is." -Goliath
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 06:36:22 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Wag
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 08:25:01 PM »

With all that going on, I think I had forgotten just how mature it was - this might be added to my DVD list (I am assuming it has had a DVD release).

Jim H

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 01:35:08 AM »

The one very frustrating thing is the first season is available, and the first half of the second season.  I own both of these, but the second half of season 2 isn't out, and doesn't look it will ever come out - it's been something like 3 or 4 years since the first half came out, with no sign of the last part of the series.

There's a season 3, but it's garbage.
Wag
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 05:38:36 AM »

The one very frustrating thing is the first season is available, and the first half of the second season.  I own both of these, but the second half of season 2 isn't out, and doesn't look it will ever come out - it's been something like 3 or 4 years since the first half came out, with no sign of the last part of the series.

There's a season 3, but it's garbage.

I'm sorry to hear that about the second series and the third series being s**te; still, some Gargoyles is better than none at all I guess. Roll on pay day!!

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 04:02:53 PM »

I think I saw the premiere episode and most of the episodes after that.

You don't find that many good action oriented cartoon series on TV, and that was one of the best.

And to back up what Wag said, there was quite a crossover between "Star Trek," both the films and the TV series and "Gargoyles." Here's some of the people who appeared in both.

Michael Dorn
Jonathan Frakes
Matt Frewer
Kate Mulgrew
Nichelle Nichols
Marina Sirtis
Brent Spiner
David Warner
Paul Winfield

And that's just the ones I recognized. I think someone who is familiar with who appeared on "Star Trek" could probably add to this list.
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 06:11:58 PM »

good show! when this show was on tv, i was very attracted to demona. i know im not alone.

exterminate all rational thought.....
Jim H

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 12:24:35 PM »

good show! when this show was on tv, i was very attracted to demona. i know im not alone.

It's kind of funny showing Gargoyles to people who've never seen it before, as a couple episodes have some dark undercurrents.  Like Delilah, who was apparently made to be a sex slave to Thailog.  I remember not quite getting that when I first saw it, and then later on being like "WTF?" rewatching the episode when I was a bit older.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 08:35:10 PM »

I used to love this show.  It was so much better than the other cartoons Disney was producing at the time-and since.
Gargoyles was great, but compared to Goof Troop or Darkwing Duck, well, it doesn't compare.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Gargoyles! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.