Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:57:38 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  People Who Don't Answer Their Phones « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: People Who Don't Answer Their Phones  (Read 12307 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: February 23, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »

All of us have a friend or two who never answers their phone.
I'm not talking about the people who are very busy and don't answer because they've got so much going on.
I'm referring to those people who, for no apparent reason, do not answer their phone.  Ever.

What is up with that?

I've got two particular friends who never answer their phones.  They haven't for years.
They're not busy.  Yes, they do have jobs, but I know their hours and when they're home, they sit around in front of the TV.
It usually takes me going over to their house to contact them.  When I ask them why they don't answer their phone, they say, "I was busy."  I come back with, "I left you a message.  Were you too busy to take a minute to call me back?"
Then they give me the lame excuse that they didn't check their voice mail.
I've even asked their wife/girlfriend about it, assuming that maybe my friend doesn't like me much anymore and if I did something wrong.  And they tell me that my friend doesn't answer their phone for anyone.

I don't care how busy a person is or how introverted and society-shy they might be.  People who never answer their phone or bother to return calls are rude and lazy.
Their behavior is beyond selfish. 
They sure as hell will use their phone to make calls when they need to.
Maybe it's a power trip kinda thing.  Maybe when their phone rings, they look at the caller I.D., see that it's me and think, "Haha!  I don't have to answer you.  I have the power!  Haha!"

What makes a person not want to pick up when a friend calls?
I can understand if they're having a bad day.  But when they've been doing it for years, it's a problem.
Whenever my phone rings, I always pick it up.  The only time I don't is if I don't recognize the number.
Blatantly ignoring my friends by never answering my phone is unthinkable to me.
I'm about ready to issue an ultimatum to these two guys and tell them that if they continue to do it, they can forget about having me as a friend.

How about you?
Got any friends who are notorious for never answering their phones?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 09:36:42 PM by Ash » Logged
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 08:27:31 PM »

Nope, , I don't have a cellphone, ,and anyone that doesn't return my calls, , well I really couldn't see how one could call them 'Friends'. .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
CaptnTripps
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 08:31:43 PM »

I always answer calls from friends, even if im not particularly in the mood to talk to them, just because I would feel bad if it was something really important, or if they needed help in anyway.

"Look at this! It bit me, i've been savaged"
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 08:38:37 PM »

I use to do that. Mostly because bill collectors like to harass the crap out of people even when it's not your debt. I got calls all the time about my sister-in-law who owed money on a car and listed me as a contact number. I would tell them that she did not live here and ask that they not call only to get another one the next day.
There is also times I just don't want to answer the phone. No reason other than the fact it's often relatives who I don't feel like dealing with at the time. And I sleep odd hours as well as most people in my home. My wife works overnight so I usually wait until she gets home to go to bed. So calling me during the day is like me calling you in the middle of the night.
Then there is the very real fact I don't check my voice mail but about once a week. Why because most of my messages are telemarketers. I got plenty of time to go thru an delete them later.
Finally, I really just dislike telephones in general. Seldom does anything good happen cause of them, often they are the bearer of bad news or a source of irritation. When was the last time someone called to tell you you won something int he middle of the night or when you were about to sit down to dinner. Nope it's always someone died or would you like to witch your long distance carrier crap with those calls.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 09:22:07 PM »

I hate phones.  I hate calls.  But I usually answer my phone.  However, I say email me and we'll call it a day. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 09:30:11 PM »

Agree with Meqal.  Telemarketing pretty much ruined the usefulness of the telephone.  I hang up on somebody because I don't want to hear about their very important offer, then I feel guilty for being so rude.  Or half the time there's nobody there - must be some damned telemarketing computer that dials a bunch of numbers at once or something.  I mute my show right at the best part, or just as we're sitting down to dinner, go over to the phone and say "Hello?"  Wait.  "Hello?"  Wait.  "HELLO?"   

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 10:18:21 PM »

I have on screen caller ID and unless I know there is money on the other end I rarely answer in my down time, I spend half my day or longer on the phone dealing with people I do work for.

So leave a message.

Actually my home answering machine message says "HI, I'm home right now, in a few seconds you're going to start talking and I'll have a decision to make." BEEP ....

Naturally my business phone is a tad more professional. 

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 11:02:36 PM »

The telemarketing trick that used to steam me the most was the automated system that calls you up, then rings a telemarketer after you answer. So they've interrupted me with an unsolicited sales pitch, and made me wait for it. That and I always hate when my bank calls me to find out if there's some way they can serve me better. The inevitable answer: "How about leaving me the #%@ alone?" That I hate because I am required to give them my phone number, which they do need in case they need to call about my account. That does not give them permission to abuse it, even if they think I want to be "informed" of new services they'll gladly provide for an extra fee.

As for answering the phone, I do use the caller ID and the voicemail to screen calls. For instance, if it's obviously for my wife and she's not home, I find it easier and more reliable to just let them record their own message, rather than sorting it all out myself and then having to remember to give her the message. And if it's a relative or someone likely to talk for a while, we might let it go and call back when there's more time. Generally, though, we pick up the phone when it rings, particularly if it's a local call, and always if it's a friend. And we usually check messages frequently. I will sometimes try to manage phone calls by not picking up some of them, but I agree that people who don't return calls at all are just plain rude.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 11:20:56 PM »

I have caller ID and if I don't recognize the number, I don't answer the phone.  Period.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
meQal

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 11:50:06 PM »

I have caller ID and if I don't recognize the number, I don't answer the phone.  Period.
Why I say I use to do that. Caller ID and anonymous call rejection have done wonders for me. Granted I still ignore the phone if it's relatives I don't want to speak with. I have gotten better about checking my voicemail cause the telephone provider I have now sends me an email with a .wav file of the message attached. How I find out I have most of my voicemail messages is by checking email.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Torgo

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 11:51:51 PM »

There is actually a phobia of the telephone called appropriately enough telephonophobia.

Telephonophobia
An abnormal, persistent fear of telephones

I knew someone who claimed to have this but I just told them that it was a cover for them just being an @ss by never answering their phone.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 06:43:54 AM »

If anyone on these boards ever wants to call me at anytime, I'll PM you my phone number.      Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Susan
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 08:20:01 AM »

i don't answer my phone because verizon is a s**t company, i had them come out twice and they claim they can't find the problem but my phone doesn't even RING
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 08:29:46 AM »

That and I always hate when my bank calls me to find out if there's some way they can serve me better. The inevitable answer: "How about leaving me the #%@ alone?"

Smile Smile BounceGiggle TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
meQal

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 08:35:45 AM »

Actually my home answering machine message says "HI, I'm home right now, in a few seconds you're going to start talking and I'll have a decision to make." BEEP .... 
If you do happen to call my home, I got a message that says, "Congradulations, you are playing the voice mail game. If you are one of our lucky callers you will receive a free call back. Press 1 if you want to play or hang up now."

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  People Who Don't Answer Their Phones « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.