Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:41:03 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Short film - fisherman hooked « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Short film - fisherman hooked  (Read 24267 times)
Rayo Casablanca
Bad Movie Lover

« on: February 23, 2009, 10:31:46 PM »

My dad told me of this short film he saw -- I'm guessing sometime in the late 60s to mid 70s -- and I'm assuming it was at a theatre or part of a festival. The film was fairly simple (and has been duplicated in TV ads): A fisherman is walking along the shore of a lake and sees a candy bar. He picks it up, unwraps it and  begins to eat it when he realizes to his horror that there's a hook embedded in the chocolate. The candy bar is a lure, and he is slowly dragged underwater into the lake by some other "fisher" hunting men. Any thoughts?
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »

I saw that film and it wasn't from the 60s or 70s but was much more recent. Unfortunately I can't remember the title either although I might have actually taped it as it often played before recent films here on our movie networks. Think it might have been actually called Fish Bait but I'd have to check it out again to be certain.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Dwight
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 11:11:05 AM »

I dont know about a short, though for any given idea many people come up with it so
there may be a couple of these around. However the version of this idea I've seen, is
a troma film called Blood Hook, where a serial killer gets people by "fishing them with similar
tactics" there's a review of it here at Badmovies.org

Dwight,
                                                                        http://www.treasuretrovevideo.wikidot.com
Rayo Casablanca
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 09:06:16 PM »

Thanks so much for the leads.
I know there are actually several filmed "versions" of this same set-up, most recently as Japanese car commercial with a squid tentacle. In this short the "fisher" in the lake is never seen, just the man pulled into the water with the suggestion that it's the fish.
My dad told me about this film in the 80s, so it's got to be fairly old. Unless my memory is off which is also possible.
Bargle5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 09:08:35 PM »

Not that it'll help much, but HBO used to run a version of that story as one of their in between movies shorts back in the 80s. I think in that one the guy was caught by a sandwich. 

Frogs with their endless croaking, croaking, croaking in the night.
Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Thunderball Fists?! I can have such a thing?!

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 12:40:08 AM »

It could be "Blood Hook," but my money is on "Escapes" which was hosted by Vincent Price. It's a horror/fantasy anthology and one of the short films featuers an unlucky fisherman who eats an apple that ends up having a hook in it. Once he realizes what's going on, it is too late and he gets pulled into the water.

-----
The Vault Master
Caretaker of The B-Movie Film Vault
-----
DerekWH
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 12:42:53 AM »

There was a black & white short of a fisherman on a beach reeling in fish after fish all the while chomping down his lunch. He ran out of food but sees a wrapped sandwich nearby, he takes a bite out of the sandwich and suddenly a huge hook juts out of his cheek and he is dragged into the sea.
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 04:13:59 PM »

Not that it'll help much, but HBO used to run a version of that story as one of their in between movies shorts back in the 80s. I think in that one the guy was caught by a sandwich. 

I remember this.  Did it end with another item of food being thrown out onto the beach, after the guy is pulled under?  If so, it was an apple (great big red one), not a sandwich.
Dwight
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 06:45:34 PM »

I'm surprised I couldn't find one such video on you tube. This sounds like exactly
the kind of thing somebody would have posted there. If anyone has any of these,
post em, I didn look for the trailer for blood hook, but I looked for "caught by fishhook"
and I didn't get any film stuff, shorts or the like.

Dwight

treasuretrovevideo@live.com

Bargle5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 08:34:30 PM »

I remember this.  Did it end with another item of food being thrown out onto the beach, after the guy is pulled under?  If so, it was an apple (great big red one), not a sandwich.

I bow to your superior memory, sir. It's been a long time.

Rayo Casablanca
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 09:56:44 PM »

So many fantastic responses and all sound possible. The HBO Short Takes thing is a great angle though I'm pretty sure this was seen in a theatre. I'm guessing DerekHW has it right. B&W and an apple, rings many bells.
Deathfeast
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 12:12:24 AM »

The animated tales from the cryptkeeper had this same story for one of the episodes.
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 05:28:46 PM »

I bow to your superior memory, sir. It's been a long time.

Only reason I remember so well is I saw it with a friend, we both thought it was awesome, and referenced it throughout the rest of our very long friendship.  We must have been like 6 or 7 when it came on, so I'm thinking 1990ish?
Bargle5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 10:08:36 PM »

I think it was even older than that. I think it started playing in the early to mid 80s. I don't know how many years they kept showing it, so it still being on in the early 90s is not impossible.

Rayo Casablanca
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 01:58:51 PM »

Might help: I found another description of this short on another website.

"a short film I saw as a kid. A man was on the beach surf fishing. As lunch time arrived the fisherman opened his lunch pail and took out a sandwich. He unwrapped it and took a bite. A large hook ripped through his cheek and he was pulled down the beach and into the water. A fitting end to all "sportsmen"."
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/08/25/news/coastal/23_35_388_24_07.txt
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Short film - fisherman hooked « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.