Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:54:33 PM
713372 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Short film - fisherman hooked « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Short film - fisherman hooked  (Read 24278 times)
BobD
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 06:19:10 PM »

DerekWH has it right.  I thought that it was titled "The Fisherman" starring Alan Arkin, but I could not locate it either under the title or the actor.  I'd like to find it as well.  At the time, it was a classic.
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 06:49:13 PM »

It was part of the same HBO interludes as this Gem:
Small | Large

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Friscoblitz
New Visitor

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 07:22:24 PM »

Derek does have it right.  The surf fisherman in knee boots runs out of sandwiches, spots a sandwich in a bag a few yards distant lying on the shore.  He fetches it, unwraps it, takes a bite.... a seagull shrieks, a hook pierces his cheek and he is pulled into the ocean.  I'm 62 and I remember this film from the late '60's.. possibly early'70's, but I don't think so.  I also have a memory fragment that suggests to me (from the films credits) that this was adapted from Mad Magazine. 
bill house
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 07:19:14 PM »

I saw it too, I think it played as a short with Roman Polanski's Repulsion.  The fisherman was eating from his lunchbox, catching more fish than he could possibly eat.  he runs out of food, sees a brown bag down the beach, finds a sandwich wrapped in foil, opens it, smells it, takes a nibble - seems fine, so he takes a big bite and...hook in he is reeled into the sea.

If anyone can get the name of the film, please let me know.  It was a classic.
mike
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 02:12:45 AM »

i had this taped on vhs ...a guy is fishing at a lake,eating a sandwhich and getting drunk. he notices an apple next to him,takes a bite...struggles and gets pulled under the water. then the apple comes from the water up onto the land with a hook in it and fishing line attached. it was called "somthing fishing".
mike
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 02:17:32 AM »

somthing fishy
Rayo Casablanca
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 12:42:58 AM »

Brilliant!
Now we just need it on YouTube.
Helen
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2011, 04:35:36 PM »

This is amazing.  I know the man who created this film; his name is Colin Huff.  I knew him in 1967-69 in Walnut Creek, CA, around the time he made the film.  I've been looking for him for a while and did a search for the Fisherman.  Still haven't found Colin.  It was a great short.  If anybody has any information as to where I can find him, it would be SO appreciated.
double feature
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 08:36:48 PM »

It could be "Blood Hook," but my money is on "Escapes" which was hosted by Vincent Price. It's a horror/fantasy anthology and one of the short films featuers an unlucky fisherman who eats an apple that ends up having a hook in it. Once he realizes what's going on, it is too late and he gets pulled into the water.

Yep looked up ESCAPES(1986)on IMDB.com and the first of five tales is called SOMETHING FISHY,which features the fisherman eating the apple and being hooked in.One reviewer on IMDB.com says the movie was filmed in and around Sacramento,CA.Also interesting to note that this and the other tales on ESCAPES were shown individually has in betweens or segueways to movies on HBO,Showtime,Night Flights,and USA Saturday Nightmares.Some others included COFFE BREAK,THE DUMMY,LIVING DOLLS,and THE CONTRAPTION.
albacore569
New Visitor

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 04:29:48 PM »

I remember this short film and have been trying to find a copy of it for years. It was called "The Fisherman".
I saw it in the 60's and being an avid fisherman, it scared the hell out of me. I remember the fisherman fishing in the evening and pulling in striped bass one after the other and throwing them on the sand next to him. He would then take a break and eat the food he brought with him. There were no words spoken in the movie just a music background. When he finished his food, he was still hungry and looked around and found a bag containing a sandwich lying on the sand. He bit into it, was hooked and he was dragged screaming into the sea. The last scene was a quiet shot of the ocean.

I remember getting chills and saying out loud "holy s**t"!!

I know that the film was nominated for an Academy Award as a "Short Subject" but that it didn't win. If anyone can find a copy and post it, it would really make my day.

Thanks, Fred
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 09:42:47 PM »

There's a story in the old EC comic VAULT OF HORROR #11 drawn by Jack Davis called "Gone Fishing" with the exact storyline. The comic came out in 1953!
I have the reprint of that ish.
Thought mebbe they had done that episode in the TALES FROM THE CRYPT tv show...but nope!

UPDATE....It WAS turned into an episode from the animated series TALES FROM THE CRYPTKEEPER!
(Though the cartoon drastically  rewrote the original-which was fairly short and simple...and much less childish....)

Small | Large

Small | Large
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 05:07:07 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Short film - fisherman hooked « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.