Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:56:46 PM
714229 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Knowing (2009) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Knowing (2009)  (Read 2418 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: March 25, 2009, 07:35:28 PM »

I know that this film was mentioned in the other thread, but because of its scope and the endless possibility for debate that it inspires, I felt it deserved its own thread.
And besides, we'd just end up hijacking that other thread talking about it and I didn't want that to happen.

Rather than try to explain what happens in Knowing, I thought I'd post the trailer for you.
It explains everything but doesn't give away any spoilers.

Small | Large

Rev., you really didn't like Knowing?
I just got back from it and all I can say is, "Holy crap!" 

I found Knowing to be an absolutely riveting science fiction thriller.
It has some of the best special effects I've ever seen in a film.  It's score was simply breathtaking and the acting was top-notch all around.

After reading tons of comments by other people who have seen it, I can understand why you might not have liked it.
For some, it will push the religion button.  For others, it goes for Intelligent Design.  The film hasn't even been out for a week and there are already countless debates online about science, theology, Intelligent design and what they mean in this movie.
This is a film that I will be thinking about weeks from now...pondering the meaning of it all.

The film raises many important issues, all worthy of healthy debate.  It will definitely come across differently to each person who sees it.  I seem to have interpreted it differently and saw a deeper meaning within it.

In my opinion, this is a film that you all simply must see.
Ebert was spot-on in his review.  He's also written about it in his blog and it has garnered over 250 responses already.  Check it out HERE.

When he noticed that the majority of movie critics bashed the hell out of it, he responded to them by writing an essay that totally makes sense.
Read it HERE.

But be forewarned...Both articles contain major spoilers!  And trust me, this is one film you DO NOT want to have spoiled for you.

I give this film 5 out of 5 stars and a big  Thumbup
Go see this movie! 

« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 01:22:22 AM by Ash » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 06:56:01 PM »

Ash, I wouldn't say I didn't like it, though I didn't love it.  I gave it a 2.5/5, which is pretty much dead average.  I liked several of the visual sequences a lot.  The first disaster scene was fantastic, and the "nightmare" scene with the kid was very creepy.   

It's sort of a love-it-or-hate-it movie.  Everytime I see a love-it-or-hate-it movie, I seem to give it an average review.  I'll see both what's exciting about it and what's disappointing about it at the same time.

Like I said, I enjoyed the some of the action sequences, but I didn't buy into the whole climax (I'm avoiding spoilers here). You have to buy in to the theory of this movie to really, really love it, and I didn't.  Too farfetched for me.  But I didn't hate it, either. 

Glad you loved it, Ash. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
dean

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 09:19:34 AM »

I'd like to see it if not for the fact that I really like Alex Proyas, it was filmed in Melbourne [my city] and more importantly, the school in the film is where I went to high school!

Ah good times.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
dean

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 08:37:25 AM »

Saw it and thought it was fantastic!  I can see why the ending gets some people, but for me I thought it was a  Thumbup

Though I must admit it wasn't as tidy as I'd like; especially how well they built up to it.

Like I just mentioned above, the school in the film is my high school and therefore I got a nice kick out of seeing some local sights.  My friend joked that he wants to write in the goofs section on IMDB that he runs in one room and the door he goes through leads to a completely different part of the school.  CONTINUITY FAIL.   BounceGiggle

Of course that's just silly.

But I enjoyed the film and the effects were great: that first disaster freaked the hell out of me just based on sound design alone so that was great.

All in all I quite enjoyed it, like I have all of Proyas' work.  I especially like the mood he creates, that pseudo-gothic feel. 4/5 [not perfect but very enjoyable]

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Knowing (2009) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.