Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:08:48 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Favorite WWII Movies!!! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Favorite WWII Movies!!!  (Read 16404 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 01:00:35 PM »

I was gonna mention Von Ryan's Express but you beat me to it RC!   TongueOut

Another good one is Stalingrad . (1993)
It's always nice to watch a WW2 film from a perspective other than the U.S.
Stalingrad is filmed entirely from the German perspective.
Other than a bit of heavy-handed music and a few scenes where it's obvious parts were edited out, this film is fantastic.
You can watch it dubbed in English, but it sucks to watch it that way.  I prefer it in German with subtitles.  Makes it seem much more authentic.  Plus the German language is always cool to listen to.

Small | Large

Here's a cool scene where the Germans are attempting to overrun a Russian factory.
A lot of the battle scenes are very well done.

Small | Large

meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »

I like a few but only one film set in WWII that I enjoy watching over and over again. That's Stalag 17. I find it humorous and intense at the same time. It made me get into William Holden films which was the only reason I watch Bridge Over The River Kwai the first time I watched.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 10:06:08 PM »

Ooh, forgot STALAG 17--that's an absoulte classic and I can watch it over and over too!  I guess I forgot it because it's not about war per se, it just uses war as the setting.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 11:26:09 PM »

How about DOWNFALL -  a German language rendering of the last three months of Hitler's life, as seen through the eyes of one of his young secretaries.  Really, really good film!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 11:59:58 PM »

Four off the beaten path but still good films either set in or dealing with the impact of World War Two:

Heimat, made in the 1980's, largely in black and white, by the (West) German director Edgar Reitz. Subtitled. This complex film is probably at least ten hours long and follows the lives of a number of German families living in the Rhineland from after WWI, through the coming of Nazism and the war itself, and into the years of industrial Germany's rise from the ruins. In one great scene a snobbish social climbing newly-rich hausfrau, who'd once hosted a dinner party for Wilhelm Frick and other Nazi bigwigs, prepares to sicophantically greet arriving American soldiers, only to be confronted in all her bigotry by the fact that these American are from a "Colored" regiment. Great moment! PBS once aired Heimat in its uncut entirety and because of its subject matter some segments of the US public had kinipshin fits.

Das Boot, which may be the greatest film ever made in such a confined space, a German U-boat in the 1940's. A plain and simple brilliant motion picture, IMHO. Like All Quiet on the Western Front, and Guy Sajer's book The Forgotten Soldier, this is a movie that challenges you to think from a foreign perspective.

After the War, another long film, this one set at the very end of World War Two and then moreso as the generation who were children in Britain during the '40's matures and lives in the decades "after the war" that Britons consoling themselves through the horrors and hardships of the Second World War were told again and again would be a veritable paradise on earth.

Lastly, Island at War. It's often forgotten that Germans occupied British soil in World War Two, the Channel Islands, which sit closer to France than to Britain but which are English nevertheless. (The same islands which were the setting for The Others.) This six-hour production takes place on one of these occupied islands, and shows what life was like for English citizens governed by Nazis. Like Heimat, Island at War gives another complex view of human relations and the tragedy of war itself.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 12:08:45 AM »

Though I have a great dislike for war....I LOVE war films!

I'm always up for a good war.

I think I have about 200 war films, at least half are WWII

However, ones I that have real "rewatchability"

Saving Private Ryan
Patton
The Great Escape
Europa, Europa
Schindler's List
From Here to Eternity
The Longest Day
Band of Brothers
Stalingrad
Run Silent, Run Deep
Stalag 17
A Bridge Too Far
The Thin Red Line
The Big Red One
Bridge Over the River Kwai
The Dirty Dozen
Das Boot
Au revoir les enfants
The Pianist
Der Untergang (Downfall)

and about 100 others.

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 02:22:30 AM »

There's one WW2 film I'm thinking of but can't remember the title.
Normally I'd post this in the "What Was That Film?" board but since were here discussing WW2 films...

The movie was filmed from the German perspective.
It had a few German kids in it and they're informed that the Allies will probably be breaking through their area at any time.
They set up a defense.

It would've been an 80's or 90's film.
That's all I know.

I haven't seen it, but I've read about it.
Anyone know what WW2 movie that is?

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 07:06:26 AM »

How about DOWNFALL -  a German language rendering of the last three months of Hitler's life, as seen through the eyes of one of his young secretaries.  Really, really good film!

I forgot about this one.  Bought the DVD and loved it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 08:46:51 AM »

Ooh, forgot STALAG 17--that's an absoulte classic and I can watch it over and over too!  I guess I forgot it because it's not about war per se, it just uses war as the setting.

Great movie, and especially interesting if you grew up watching "Hogan's Heroes" with its lovable bumbling Germans. Sgt. Schulz in STALAG 17 is definitely *not* cuddly. Was also interesting seeing the role Peter Graves played, considering his later heroics running the Impossible Mission Force.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »

Another good one I forgot ...

When Trumpets Fade

It's about the battle of Hurtgen Forest along the Siegfried line.

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 09:00:49 AM »

Hey I saw Midway in "Sensurround"  (I think Earthquake was the only other movie to get this treatment).  Holy s**t, the explosions felt like you were there, and when Dolittle's B24s took off from the carrier at the beginning you thought you were on the deck with them.

I like pretty much lover every thing people here have  mentioned.  These were the late show movies I grew up with during the 60s.  One I don't think I've seen mentioned is Sahara with Humphrey Bogart, Loyd Bridges, Dan Duryea, Bruce Bennett, and J. Carroll Nash.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 09:02:34 AM by Trekgeezer » Logged

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 09:20:23 AM »

The mention of Stalag 17 reminded me of another darkish WWII comedy, Mister Roberts. Great roles for James Cagney, Henry Fonda, and a young Jack Lemmon.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 04:33:53 PM »

Hell in the Pacific

Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison and The Enemy Below...both with Robert Mitchum

The Desert Fox

The Devil's Brigade

The Guns of Navarone

Battleground(my first WW2 movie)

Guadalcanal Diary

Bridge at Remagen

and the TV shows Black Sheep Squadron and Rat Patrol.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 11:47:58 PM »

Wow...so many good ones listed...Hotspur reminded me of a big time favorite...MIDWAY! Wow! The action in that one is unbelievable!
Also....every time this film is on tv I watch it! VON RYANS EXPRESS (1965)
Did you know FRANK SINATRA changed the ending of the film from the novel?  Once again, he knew what he was doing and made the film much more poignant with the tragic ending. 

I see some of my favorites have been mentioned, like PATTON and OBJECTIVE: BURMA! but I don't think anyone mentioned 12 O'CLOCK HIGH, THEY WERE EXPENDABLE or DESTINATION TOKYO which is probably the only CARY GRANT film I really like...
Small | Large

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Menaaard!!!
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2009, 06:32:55 AM »

Also there is a movie called Too Late the Hero with Michael Caine.  Again, I saw this as a kind and loved it, I'd be curious to see it now to see if it is any good.

I reviewed Too Late the Hero a while back. You can find it here: http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,121173.0.html

Sahara is one of my favorites. Interesting film which has a diversity of characters that regardless of their differences of country or color of skin have to work together to fight a much larger enemy; an enemy which is about discrimination and hatred.

Hanover Street is an interesting film. It starts off slowly, as it builds as a romance, but picks up pace, and dramatically, when the two main characters who share a love for the same woman (only one of them is aware of the other's connection to her) have to depend on each other when what would have been an covert drop for one of them behind enemy lines ends up getting them shot down and putting both of them behind enemy lines.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Favorite WWII Movies!!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.