Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:10:15 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Favorite WWII Movies!!! « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Favorite WWII Movies!!!  (Read 16408 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2009, 08:48:33 AM »

Hey I saw Midway in "Sensurround"  (I think Earthquake was the only other movie to get this treatment).

ROLLERCOASTER with George Segal was also in Sensurround.  However, the theater where I saw it did not show it in Sensurround.  Hatred

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Neville

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2009, 05:01:45 PM »

There's one WW2 film I'm thinking of but can't remember the title.
Normally I'd post this in the "What Was That Film?" board but since were here discussing WW2 films...

The movie was filmed from the German perspective.
It had a few German kids in it and they're informed that the Allies will probably be breaking through their area at any time.
They set up a defense.

It would've been an 80's or 90's film.
That's all I know.

I haven't seen it, but I've read about it.
Anyone know what WW2 movie that is?

I'm pretty damn sure its Die brucke except that it is an old b/w film. They mention a 2008 remake, though. I saw it a few years ago, found it very good although it took a while to start.

As for me, my favourite WWII films have already been mentioned. I'd say the absolute best of them are the extended version of The big red one, The thin red line and Enemy at the gates.

But often I'd settle for lesser films with higher entertainment value, such as Where eagles dare, Saving private Ryan or even U-571. Hell, even I found The battle of the Bulge tons of fun.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2009, 05:40:29 PM »

I'm pretty damn sure its Die brucke except that it is an old b/w film. They mention a 2008 remake, though. I saw it a few years ago, found it very good although it took a while to start.

That's it!  Thanks a lot!   Thumbup
For some reason I was thinking this was a more recent film.
I'll have to check Netflix to see if it's available on DVD.

Another good WW2 film is A Midnight Clear.
That's the one about the platoon of American soldiers set during Christmas in the Ardennes Forest.
They come upon a group of German soldiers who want to surrender but they all have to make it look like the Germans put up a fight (a fake skirmish) or else their families will be killed by the Nazis.
Needless to say, things don't go as planned.

(Skip to the 1:50 mark)
Small | Large

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 05:56:11 PM by Ash » Logged
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2009, 01:34:45 PM »

One of my favorite TV shows in the 60's was Combat! starring B movie veteran, Vic Morrow.

Small | Large

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2009, 10:08:21 AM »

Did anyone mention Escape From Sobibor with Rutger Hauer and Alan Arkin? It's about an uprising and escape from a Concentration Camp. It's based on the true story and it's really good.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Neville

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2009, 10:18:06 AM »

What about the worst ones?  TeddyR

My votes are for "Escape to Athena" (it has Roger Moore playing a Nazi officer) and "Sergeant Steiner", an ill-advised sequel to Sam Peckinpah's "Cross of iron".

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
element19_98
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2009, 06:59:27 AM »

Another good one I forgot ...

When Trumpets Fade

It's about the battle of Hurtgen Forest along the Siegfried line.
  I haven't seen that since i was about 16,i do remember that one to be very good thats the one where they cant pass the dragon teeth laid out by germany,i do remember a good sense of hopelessness conveyed in that one
Neville

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2009, 11:52:05 AM »

Yes, When trumpets fade is a very good one too. I got it together with The thin red line for just a few bucks, and didn't expect it to be that good. If they only had had a bigger budget for the battle scenes it would be a modern classic. I found it to be even better than Hamburger Hill, a Vietnam film by the same director which seems to have some cult following out there.

I'm posting again because I just saw Castle Keep, starring Burt Lancaster and Peter Falk. I think it belongs to this thread, even if it is a damn weird movie. It's about a bunch of American soldiers who settle in a Belgium castle and spend the time doing absurdities and getting laid at the local brothel until they end up caught in the battle of the Bulge.

The weird thing about it's the tone and the dialogs. It's almost as if the whole thing had started as a straight story and then somebody laced everybody's catering with LSD. It has some great battle scenes in the second half, but the rest of the movie comes accross as a sort of literate version of Kelly's heroes.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Favorite WWII Movies!!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.