Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:35:18 AM
713337 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny.  (Read 5799 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 24, 2007, 04:57:52 PM »

I'm a big fan of the D from back when their 3 HBO specials originally aired but I when I saw their first theatrical effort Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny in theaters, I was disappointed with it.

I thought that it rehashed a bit too much from the episodes themselves along with some of the jokes on their first CD as well. The pacing at times was off on that first viewing it seemed as I thought that there was too big of lulls between funny stuff.  I was expecting to love the movie but thought that it was very lackluster.

I got to re-watch the film this past weekend on DVD and found that it was actually a much better movie than I thought it was.  While the movie was mainly made for hardcore D fans, I think that it actually can appeal to people unaware of the mighty D if they appreciate this type of humor.  I guess with it being a prequel to the entire mythos of the D that I should have expected for some stuff to be repeated a bit at times.

I was surprised at how much better I thought of the film upon this 2nd viewing and my rating now rises from 2 to 3 out of 4 stars.

What did you all think of it?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 05:08:13 PM by Torgo » Logged

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
the guyver
Dedicated Viewer

RAT! RAT! RAT! RAT!

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 05:09:07 PM »

Their fist album was great! So naturally I bought their masterpieces dvd. It too was great! When the movie came out I did my best to go into it with low expectations so I wouldn't be too disappointed with it if it sucked.  But to my surprise I actually liked it quite a bit! For some reason "Hollywood" seems to do generally nothing but ruin good movies, ideas, and books (there are of course exceptions) thats why I prefer independent and low budget films. Back to your post..... TongueOut I was pleased!
[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=3QzM-gCLBAs BounceGiggle
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 06:43:08 PM »

I too am a fan of the D and was looking forward to the film with an unbelievable amount of excitement.  I didn't much care for it my first run through.  Like Torgo said, a lot of the jokes were rehashed from their S/T album and from the TV show.

Upon subsequent viewings, I've found it much more entertaining.  It's not the epic film that I was hoping for it to be, but it is still quite a bit of fun.  Also, how can you go wrong with a film where Dave Grohl plays Satan!?

I still love the D and wish they would put out a new album.  They have a sense of humor that is unmatched by most other musicians.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 07:10:34 PM »

Haven't actually seen this yet.

Although, I'm looking forward to it.  I was a fan of their HBO stuff, and the first album was great.  Eh.  Eventually I'll see it.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Torgo

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 09:51:09 PM »

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 12:00:06 PM »

Maybe I'll give it another turn.  I got the soundtrack before I saw the movie and I think it set my expectations very low since very few tracks appealed to me.  Most of them, out of the movie's context, don't seem to make much sense since a lot of them are Jack singing about what he's doing while the song plays during the movie. 

The movie, itself, didn't thrill me, either.  I got the feeling that both of these guys were a little tired of the parts and just wanted to do this for the fans and move on with their careers.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 12:13:52 PM »

I remember 1997, Tenacious D, followed by the Melvins, opening for Tool. The crowd was so infused with muscle heads that MJK actually came out to, respectfully, tell them they were meat heads and to shut the f**k up.

I've meant to see them again ever since, but their shows either sell out...or they're opening for bands that should be opening for them.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 06:57:54 PM »

I agree with the initial post.

JB is funny when he has to be restrained like in School of Rock, when he's able to do what he wants he's kinda annoying.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
metalmonster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 04:01:07 PM »

I Loved The Movie And I Bought The Soundtrack To It
Javakoala
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 08:48:41 PM »

I thought the opening bit with the young Jack character was incredible, especially with Meatloaf as his father.

Alas, after they split up at the diner, my interest had waned to the point I just wanted to leave the apartment. Unless there is a promise of me having mad monkey sex with Linda Cardellini afterwards, I doubt I'll ever finish it.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 04:38:02 PM »

I saw it and I really wasn't impressed. It just struck me as another stupid stoner movie, not much else. I don't use the stuff, but I am all for reform of MJ laws, but I just don't see to attraction for stoner movies. At least Cheech & Chong were entertaining and somewhat original. I think Jack Black has alot more potential than this movie would lead one to believe.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 05:47:57 PM »

Not a great movie, but I guess it was more for those who are bigger Jack Black fans; although I do love the final showdown with the devil.  Best song in the movie.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.