Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:13:27 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  DOOM « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: DOOM  (Read 33529 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 08:38:39 PM »

Because of this review, I just downloaded Doom via Xbox Live Arcade.

Now I shall re-immerse myself in one of the greatest games ever made, not The Rock involved.

Stupid movie.  Seriously, you have to be trying to miss the point of a game so much when trying to make a movie.  And considering there wasn't that much of a point to Doom to begin with, that is a special kind of denseness.

For me, DOOM II was the greatest FPS that you played alone.  I loved the setting, the game play, and the monsters.  Quake never had quite the same feel, and Quake II and Quake III seemed like they were made for deathmatch mode.

Finally this piece of work gets a review. It feels so good to know that ohter people thought this movie was terrible. Anyone who played this game, I myself am an original DOOM and DOOM 3 fan (never really played the 2nd), will realize how they butchered the game. Honestly, where did this movie even come from? Did someone just scavenge through their old games and pick the one they used to play the most for a movie? Any way you look at it, it is a bad movie.

This was another movie that I considered marking lower (and might still drop the rating), but felt that it wasn't as bad as it could have been.  It just made me wish it had been more.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Kutter
New Visitor

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 11:57:58 PM »

Because of this review, I just downloaded Doom via Xbox Live Arcade.

Now I shall re-immerse myself in one of the greatest games ever made, not The Rock involved.

Stupid movie.  Seriously, you have to be trying to miss the point of a game so much when trying to make a movie.  And considering there wasn't that much of a point to Doom to begin with, that is a special kind of denseness.

For me, DOOM II was the greatest FPS that you played alone.  I loved the setting, the game play, and the monsters.  Quake never had quite the same feel, and Quake II and Quake III seemed like they were made for deathmatch mode.

I probably played DOOM II more (and I never played Doom 3 at all), but the original DOOM is the one that made the impression on me.  I love the way the pretty straight sci fi setting slowly peels away into this weird techno-fantasy horror.  About the time you are running along a river of blood while dodging behind impaled bodies to escape the fireballs from a floatie eye thing, you realize that you aren't on Mars anymore. 

I really get the feeling that whoever wrote the movie only saw the first bit of the game and decided it was about space zombies.  And while there were space zombies in DOOM, they were the least interesting part. 

I don't know that we'll ever see good video game movies, or for that matter good movie video games.  The two industries just don't seem to like each other very much.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 12:43:35 PM »

I don't know that we'll ever see good video game movies, or for that matter good movie video games.  The two industries just don't seem to like each other very much.

I'd like to see Metal Gear Solid as a movie, I think that could be the one.....

FLU-BIRD
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 03:52:55 PM »

Is this comming from the same bunch of hollywood wackos supporting gun control? OH THE HOLLYWOOD HYPOCRACY NEVER EVER
Mike
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2009, 07:27:07 PM »

I thought this movie was a total letdown. The video games were about the denizens of hell breaking through into Mars laboratories. I expected to see marines fighting beholders, monsters breathing fire balls that sailed at you slowly, and at least ONE big bad boss. Instead, we got almost NOTHING from the video game except some infected humans. Where is the hell in this movie? They took the steam out of the mystique of DOOM by basically reducing it to a zombie move.

Why not let some evil force from hell escape into the base? And why not let us see all of our favorite monsters from the video games.

I don't get it. It seems so obvious to me. Who wrote the script? Did they even PLAY the video games?
Chie Sawaguchi
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 05:03:20 AM »

I remember going to see this with my husband.  We both thought that while it wouldn't be a piece of high art, Doom could easily translate into a mindless action movie with kickass demons, hell, big guns, and bucket loads of gore; something cheesy, but fun.   While there are some moments of cheese worth laughing at, and the film definitely isn't as painful as some other video game adaptations, I regret those ticket purchases.

Really, the only things that stood out for me were the Pinky Demon design; despite having those wheels instead of mechanical legs, I'm glad they stuck to the design from the Doom 3 game because as uninspired as Doom 3's art design was in some ways, the Pinky Demon stood out in Doom 3 as being one of the more creative ones.  That and I will admit, "SEMPER FI MOTHER f**kER" was easily The Rock's best one liner in the film.  The Rock could've salvaged this film if only his deliverance in one liners was better.  Okay, okay, I'll admit there is a 3rd thing I thought was OK; Karl Urban was hot  TongueOut
CalrissianFoxxSteele
Dedicated Viewer

God

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 01:30:25 AM »

I think a remake of this movie needs to be done.
I'm a huge DOOM fa (so much that I was the first to let a huge doom fansite know that the movie was in pre-production).
I didn't know what to think of this before I saw it on opening night.
the action was crap, lines and characters were stereotypical...and most of all NO DEMONS!!! I mean what the f*ck? That is the game. marines + mars + demons + hell = DOOM.
The only thing tolerable was the 'POV DOOM' scene. At least it kind had a sense of humor about itself with that scene.
But there should be a better, heavier worked on remake. Actually follow some of the hell ideas. I think DOOM 3 story could just be a great start to a remake in itself.

“I’m gonna live a rockstar life. Money, b***hes, and fame. Because my mommy said I can do anything I put my mind to.”
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  DOOM « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.