Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:16:30 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Shazam! is not Wonder Woman « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Shazam! is not Wonder Woman  (Read 5304 times)
Menaaard!!!
« on: March 02, 2009, 08:04:00 AM »

In doing some research on the Shazam! live action TV show from the 70s, I came across an interview with the actor Jackson Bostwick (the first season Captain Marvel...and considered by many to be the only Captain Marvel) concerning his firing from the show and being replace by John Davey.

Just to keep everybody up to speed, this is how Jackson Bostwick ended up being fired (in his words, but pretty much confirmed by everybody):

The "brilliant" Executive Producers at Filmation thought I was holding out for more money when I didn't show up on the set one day at the start of the second season. In fact, I had injured myself doing a takeoff the day before, and was at the doctor's office. The stunt boxes had collapsed on my landing, and I had snagged my eye and busted a blood vessel underneath it as I went piling through the cardboard onto the asphalt. I had the nurse call the studio to tell them where I was that morning at 9:00 AM, but Filmation said they never got the message. I go into detail of this event in my forthcoming book, "Myth, Magic, and a Mortal." It was a precedent setting case at the Screen Actor's Guild, and Filmation had to pay me for all the shows they didn't use me on, plus residuals. Still, these clown's actions doomed a marvelous show.

He also made a comment with regard to John Davey playing the role of Captain Marvel:

John's a fine actor, but he's no more Captain Marvel, than I am Wonder Woman.

God...that's cold.

The interview was here: http://www.tvparty.com/rec-shazam.html (they consistently spell John Davey as John Davies).
Hammock Rider
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 11:45:03 AM »

Hmm sounds like someone at Filmation was kind of a weasle. But as I remember it, the actor who played Captian Marvel didn't matter that much. You just needed a big clean cut guy who fit the suit to hurl styrofoam boulders around. The tv show was cheesy good but I would have watched it alot more if Wonder Woman, specifically Lynda Carter, WAS in it.

Nothing wrong with mighty Isis either.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 11:54:01 AM by Hammock Rider » Logged

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Menaaard!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 11:56:41 AM »

Hmm sounds like someone at Filmation was kind of a weasle. But as I remember it, the actor who played Captian Marvel didn't matter that much. You just needed a big clean cut guy who fit the suit to hurl styrofoam boulders around. The tv show was cheesy good but I would have watched it alot more if Wonder Woman, specifically Lynda Carter, WAS in it.

From some of what I've been reading, though opinions may vary, Jackson Bostwick was the main draw of the show. He was the one who suggested doing the moral tag on the end of the show, and though they did not originally use it, they began to add the tag after so many requests for more of Captain Marvel.

I remember when I watched it, it was just such a drastic change when they replaced him; though I think Davey was adequate for the part and his softer spoken presence made him personable in a different way, he just did not have that commanding presence that Bostwick had.

Of course, from the Wonder Woman perspective, Isis ruled! Joanna Cameron was so hot. TeddyR
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 02:43:28 PM »

I saw the ark 2 box set the other day.  it was 4 dvds and only like 9.99.   I might get that and the Isis one
Menaaard!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 02:54:39 PM »

I saw the ark 2 box set the other day.  it was 4 dvds and only like 9.99.

Damn!

Was that at a chain store or online?
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 10:10:21 AM »

no just at a store.  they are put out by bci or brentwood or something they are really cheap new
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Shazam! is not Wonder Woman « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.