Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:32:28 AM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Deadliest Warrior -Spike TV « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Deadliest Warrior -Spike TV  (Read 13137 times)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 03:36:37 PM »

Well, I watched most of the Pirate VS Knight episode.  Pretty much as I expected.  It was pretty ridiculous, especially the final dramatized fight.  I particularly liked how the pirate in it took TWO morningstars to the face from a mounted knight at FULL GALLOP and was unfazed.  This was especially amusing considering the effects a morningstar did to their fake skull thing earlier - crushed it into about 30 pieces, sending brain matter everywhere.

As usual, they seemed to overlook a great deal - as far as I could tell, they completely ignored the knight's shield as a defense.  And they vastly overstated the effectiveness and commonality of the blunderbuss and grenado.  Why would a pirate even be carrying ALL of these weapons?  And what are the odds he'd have a chance of successfully landing an unreliable fuse driven grenade at something galloping at him at 20 MPH?  Not to mention the psychological effect of a metal plated man charging you on horseback.

In their own tests, one pellet from the blunderbuss was able to penetrate plate armor, and as I said they ignored the possibility of the shield blocking it.  I also fail to see how a single pellet would be a near fatal blow in most instances.  Bah. 

Regardless, there are plenty of good reasons the knight fell into disuse as a warrior - firearms were certainly a big one.  But this had a lot to do with the ease of training a great deal of firearms users in comparison to bows - economic reasons.  Someone wearing full plate on horseback fully armed, against someone with a handful of smoothbore firearms 30 feet away?  I'm betting on the man on the horse.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 06:34:07 PM »

I particularly liked how the pirate in it took TWO morningstars to the face from a mounted knight at FULL GALLOP and was unfazed.  This was especially amusing considering the effects a morningstar did to their fake skull thing earlier - crushed it into about 30 pieces, sending brain matter everywhere.

I thought that was the most comical part as well, along with the pirate not thinking of shooting the horse.   TeddyR  And the pirate somehow timing out the grenade detonation so precisely,  that only happens in movies.  And of course you can take a crossbow bolt in the leg and still run pretty well.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 06:48:20 AM »

So this week they're going to have Spetsnaz vs. Special Forces.  I can just imagine two guys shooting at each other, but of course it has to come down to hand-to-hand combat, so they'll both have to miss.  Maybe they'll be staggering around with several bullets in each of them, but still do some good unarmed combat? 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Jim H

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 01:26:15 PM »

So this week they're going to have Spetsnaz vs. Special Forces.  I can just imagine two guys shooting at each other, but of course it has to come down to hand-to-hand combat, so they'll both have to miss.  Maybe they'll be staggering around with several bullets in each of them, but still do some good unarmed combat? 

One thing I do like is they're obviously showcasing the Spetsnaz shovel.  I've heard stories about that, like how they supposedly could kill people by throwing the things. 

Either way, as silly as it may be, I'm interested to see it.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 07:55:07 PM »

This show rocks...

http://www.spike.com/show/31082

I actually started a topic on it and missed this one.  I love the lab setting and them showing the actual damage.  I caught the Shaka Zulu Vs William Wallace episode.  Wallace kind of owned Zulu. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 11:27:27 AM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Jim H

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 12:27:48 PM »

I saw the IRA VS Taliban one.  No surprises there who won, considering who and what the Taliban are...

I also think remarks about the accuracy of the AK47 VS the AR15 are ridiculous at the ranges they're talking about.  It's also fairly obnoxious when they showcase newer weapons from different people who have MANY, and obviously pick a weaker one for one side just so they can say they have the edge.  It's not as if the Taliban didn't have any high explosives more powerful than a landmine at their disposal - they were in the middle of a constant, ongoing warzone for a decade. 

Meh, mediocre episode.
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 09:04:21 PM »

IRA vs Taliban one was ok like Jim said.  I really think terrain should be taken into account with these battles. 

DarkSider's Realm

WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 09:29:36 PM »

IRA vs Taliban one was ok like Jim said.  I really think terrain should be taken into account with these battles. 
I thought that final fight was kind of funny.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
One IRA guy takes out 3 Taliban at the end.  Some of the fight seemed really slapstick too.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 05:46:10 AM »

Spoilers on Taliban/IRA episode...

Winged Serpent, you know what...you're totally on to something there.  The part with the nailbomb on the bus you could almost here the "wah wah wah wahhhhhh..." when the guy was trapped in there.

DarkSider's Realm

inframan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 08:55:39 AM »

Finnaly saw Shaolin vs Maori, funny how one weapon put them over the top, I tought the islanders were gonna  have the advantage by the end.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 08:19:04 AM by inframan » Logged
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 11:41:32 AM »

Spetsnaz own.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Deadliest Warrior -Spike TV « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.