Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:56:43 PM
714383 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Well, I didn't get the job... :( « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Well, I didn't get the job... :(  (Read 5021 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 03, 2009, 06:51:37 PM »

I interviewed a few weeks back for an entry level computer and network technician position at a local prep school.  They just called me and said they're going to go with someone with "slightly more" network experience.

So, it's been over a year and a half since I graduated with my degree, and I'm working at a hotel for minimum wage, 32 hours a week, barely able to keep up with my regular bills, not mention all the money I owe my parents, various billing groups, and the student loan I'm going to have to pay back.

I wish I could move to some place with a job market... course, with the economy as is, I dunno if that place exists anymore.

Oh, man, I'm depressed.

Sorry, just needed to ramble a bit...

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 06:59:24 PM »

sucks...how would your parents be with holding off you paying back what you owe to them? maybe you could ask them. also I know different areas/countries have different rules but I haven't had to pay back a penny of my student loan yet which I took out in 1998, because Ive never been  earning above the level you have to be at in order to get asked for repayments...

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
akiratubo

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 07:22:28 PM »

That sucks, man.  Times are hard all over.  It's not a very good time to be somebody in need of a job.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
CaptnTripps
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 07:30:41 PM »

sucks...how would your parents be with holding off you paying back what you owe to them? maybe you could ask them. also I know different areas/countries have different rules but I haven't had to pay back a penny of my student loan yet which I took out in 1998, because Ive never been  earning above the level you have to be at in order to get asked for repayments...

DCA brings up a good point, you can have your student loan deferred if you are unable to pay. Just have to call and explain your situation. Just hang in there and keep trying and youll find something. Have you applied for any govt. tech jobs? I dont know about your location, but I live close to a military installation and they are always asking for technicians and such, even the contracted companies (though may be temp.) are always hiring, and the pay is great. if I had a degree, thats where I would shoot for. Anyways, hang in there, it always works out eventually... Wink

"Look at this! It bit me, i've been savaged"
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 07:36:05 PM »

I'm sure something good is lurking round the corner.
Try to keep your spirits up, BTM  Smile

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 10:41:35 PM »

Tough luck, and a tough time to be looking for work.  Believe it or not, many people in this economy envy your hotel clerking job.  It's always better to have a job, and be looking for a better one, than to not have a job at all.  Hang in there, big guy.     

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 11:27:28 PM »

Well, if you move to the Northern Massachusetts / Southern New Hampshire area I might be able to get you an interview as an IT consultant.  Only 2 drawbacks:

1.  I can't promise you a job.
2.  If you get the job, you'll have to work for me.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 09:29:59 AM »

It is tough out there. My daughter is working for Starbucks  because they have health insurance and living at home.  She graduated from college last year with an art degree and has had some promising interviews, but no takers. 

The job section in the paper here has dried up to just about nothing, unless you want to work in a warehouse or call center.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Menaaard!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 11:33:46 AM »

The job section in the paper here has dried up to just about nothing, unless you want to work in a warehouse or call center.

That's pretty much the way the job section is in our local paper; I can barely make a napkin out of it.

This has got to be pretty tough for college grads toady. It's tough for anybody looking or trying to find something more, but where there is usually something on the outside for a college grad...well a lot of that is not there right now.

Like the others have said, BTM, keep looking. It took me over 40 applications, and even multiple interview recalls, to find my first foot in the door just a few years ago.

It is quite literally like pounding your head into a wall. I can't tell you not going to be down or upset about it because that comes naturally and if you are feeling that you deserve more and can get it...well, you are right. It could be around the corner or it could be several doors away. Where ever it is, keep looking and don't let one prospect distract you from continuing to look at others.
BTM

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 07:47:02 PM »

sucks...how would your parents be with holding off you paying back what you owe to them? maybe you could ask them.

Well, my parents are (so far) okay with me being slow in paying back money (although my mom mentions it a bit more than my stepdad, ironic considering it's my stepdad who actually MAKES the money).  The real depressing part (for me) in all this is here I am trying to be out on my own, independent and all, and I keep having to have them pay for stuff I can't afford like car repairs and things, especially when you consider that my other four siblings seem to be doing okay on their own. 

BTM

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 07:54:27 PM »

Tough luck, and a tough time to be looking for work.  Believe it or not, many people in this economy envy your hotel clerking job.  It's always better to have a job, and be looking for a better one, than to not have a job at all.  Hang in there, big guy.     

You know, I really don't know about that.  Right now I live in public housing, and some of the people on my floor have NO job and yet they're somehow able to: get food, pay rent (the lowest rent will go is $50 a month, so you'd still have to pay something), afford cigarettes, and even have CABLE for crying out loud.  I mean, I can see why the elderly people on my floor aren't working, or the mentally handicapped guy that lives next to me, or the fellow who's confined to his bed, and I've got no problem with those guys being on assistance, but it seems like the others just quit trying. 

And sometimes I think, "You know, why the hell am I even trying?"  With the number of physical and psychological problems I have, I'm pretty I'd qualify for disability (and if I didn't, I could probably fib enough to make myself qualify), and if my income were down a bit, my rent would decrease, and I'd qualify for more food assistance. 

But I don't do any of that because, in my heart of hearts, I want be able to do things on my own...

Plus, I know me, too much free time (even if I were try to spend it writing on that book I keep thinking about, editing videos, or whatever) and I'd start to go insane.

Still, sometimes I wonder.

Anyway, I'm TRYING to be positive... told the guy to do me a favor, if he heard of any other position anywhere else that I might fit, to let me know.  So, maybe I'll get another pair of eyes looking out for something for me.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 01:35:49 AM by BTM » Logged

BTM

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 07:56:09 PM »

Well, if you move to the Northern Massachusetts / Southern New Hampshire area I might be able to get you an interview as an IT consultant.  Only 2 drawbacks:

Could I crash on your couch for a few weeks till I get my own place?  :)

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 07:58:47 PM »

I'm sorry to hear you lost your job. I dunno what to say.  Bluesad Life takes many twists and turns. It ain't the end of the world. Things will get better. Really. Hang in their,man. Be a survivoir. FIGHT!!!! Don't let the basterds win!!!!  hot

Life is like a BAD movie...it may suck...but you gotta see it untill the end!  Smile
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:01:23 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 03:47:10 PM »

Could I crash on your couch for a few weeks till I get my own place?  :)

If I lived alone, I'd say "absolutely!"  But I don't think my wife could tolerate TWO bad movie fans in the house at the same time.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
BTM

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 01:37:22 AM »

I'm sorry to hear you lost your job. I dunno what to say.  Bluesad Life takes many twists and turns. It ain't the end of the world. Things will get better. Really. Hang in their,man. Be a survivoir. FIGHT!!!! Don't let the basterds win!!!!  hot

Life is like a BAD movie...it may suck...but you gotta see it untill the end!  Smile

Wait, are you talking to me?  I didn't lose my job, I just didn't get a job that I interviewed for.  It's just my current job isn't paying me too much, so it's a bit frustrating.  Anyway, I appreciate the encouragement, though.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Well, I didn't get the job... :( « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.