Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:09:05 PM
713365 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Space Battles...why arn't there better space battles? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Space Battles...why arn't there better space battles?  (Read 5088 times)
Flangepart
« on: March 26, 2001, 06:20:12 PM »

Okey, Bablyon 5 had some real doozys. But, i'm wondering why its so hard to make a ship fight that realy stands out. Enterprise Vs Reliant was good. I think maby because neither ship way a pushover. Wars only happen between rough equals, other wise you have Italy Vs Ethopia and similar walkovers. The Battle aginst the Bismark Vs Hood and King George V would have been a real slugfest if the Hood haden't died early on. Space battles involve an understanding of the environment to help the tension along. Hey, at sea the sharks might get you, but at least ya can breath! B-5's realisim worked well, and set the standard for many a future combat, but it may be the three dimentional aspect that makes Space and air battles so hard to follow. The Wing Commander (please, no heaving,i did'et mention whats his name.)..the space scenes were cool, but only could be followed with a proper set up. What do you guys think?
Inukko
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2001, 03:47:38 AM »

We really haven't seen serious, nausea-inducing,
360 degree dogfighting in space yet... sci-fi
always seems to skimp on that aspect.  But I
think the ultimate space battles would involve
humanoid mecha, duking it out (think Robot Jox
crossed with Gundam Wing, and you'll get the
picture).
Royce Day
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2001, 08:38:26 AM »

But I
      think the ultimate space battles would involve
      humanoid mecha, duking it out (think Robot Jox
      crossed with Gundam Wing, and you'll get the
      picture).

It's been done.  Check out "Outlaw Star" on Cartoon Network at 5:30 pm, Mon-Fri.  Large spaceships equipped with robot arms duking it out hand to hand.

Or for that matter see most episodes of Robotech.
Warren H.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2001, 01:58:20 PM »

Too bad Outlaw Star really stinks.  Come on, space ships with ARMS?  I can see mounting weapons on the ends of those arms, but axes?  Or clubs?  Or space ships duking it out?  PLEASE!
The best space battles I've seen are probably from the Macross series, even the otherwise ghastly Macross II.  Stuff was going on all over, in a true 360 degree field of combat.  However, the physics of fighting in a vacuum and zero gravity were ignored for the most part, and the combatants flew like they were in atmosphere.  (i.e., when the ship changed its orientation, it banked as though it were cutting through air instead of continuing on in the same direction.)
Squishy
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2001, 05:24:44 AM »

The one that really hurts to watch is the Enterprise/Klingon confrontation from "Star Trek III." In order to make the Klingon vessel seem imposing, the twelve-man craft is depicted waaaaaay out of scale during the scene--when director Nimoy could have simply reversed the two ship's positions in relationship to the camera, placing the Klingon vessel between us and the Enterprise.

Plus nothing happens in this "battle," aside from a couple of pot shots.

I don't watch much of the "Trek" series, but I recall the big battle at the end of the "Next Generation"'s final episode was pretty wild and three-dimensional, complete with ships popping directly into the heat of battle from time-warps and such...
Mitch Macafee
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2001, 05:34:02 PM »

Two words........Star Crash. Go out now & rent/buy this classic. Then you'll see some mighty fine space battles.
Thema
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2001, 07:25:57 AM »

Robotech is not nearly as cool as the orginal Super Dimensional Fortress Macross. That movie had great space battle scenes and the plotline rocked. It is a great anime movie and many times overlooked cause of the other Macrosses
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Space Battles...why arn't there better space battles? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.