Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:12:08 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Competitions/Sports You'd Rather Not Watch « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Competitions/Sports You'd Rather Not Watch  (Read 12489 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: March 09, 2009, 12:23:42 PM »

I used to watch a lot of sport back in the day.  However, after the second or third baseball strike I simply stopped watching most sports all together. 

Be that as it may, I can see why people continue to watch sports.  However, when it comes to watching sports/competitions, are there any you simply don't get?  Keep in mind this is a matter of personal opinion and not meant to hurt feelings.  My top five;

1.) Soccer -  Yes I'm American (where not getting soccer is in some places is a requirement)  but regardless, I really don't get it.  It seems like the ball floats around the field for numerous minutes and nothing, or at least nothing I can tell, ever happens much.  Goals are seldom and shots on goal seem to come every 10 minutes. 

2.) Nascar - I'm not even sure why this is considered a sport.  Watching a bunch of cars go in a circle hundreds of times is not my form of entertainment.  Unless, guns and missiles are added that is.

3.) Baseball - Ok calm down, I know it can be entertaining.  I only don't get why it has to be 9 innings.  I'd say knock it down to 6 innings and call it a day.

4.) Golf - Good for falling asleep to, other than that I don't watch. 

5.) Poker - Playing it is one thing.  Waiting in anticipation to see if a guy raises or folds doesn't make sense to me.

Theres more on my mind but I've written enough for now.  Your turn.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Wag
Bad Movie Lover

It's a real cat and carrot situation

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 01:03:54 PM »

1.) Soccer -  Yes I'm American (where not getting soccer is in some places is a requirement)  but regardless, I really don't get it.  It seems like the ball floats around the field for numerous minutes and nothing, or at least nothing I can tell, ever happens much.  Goals are seldom and shots on goal seem to come every 10 minutes. 

As a Brit, for whom soccer (or football if you like) is out national sport, I have to say, in response to the above statement, that I don't get it either. You forgot to mention the players' tendencies to kick the ball from player to player on their team in lieu of actually making progress to the other team's goal.

I don't watch much sport to be honest. I watch WWE on occasion, Gladiators, Ninja Warrior and Dodgeball. That's about as close as I come.

Ooh - this is my 100th post  TeddyR
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 01:09:26 PM by Wag » Logged

Where the hell is that soothing music coming from?
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 01:06:33 PM »

1) American Football - Yes, I'm British. What's the point ? It's like rugby only with armour because they're a bunch of girls  Wink

2) Cricket - I love listening to cricket on the radio but only because I have no idea what they're saying. No one has ever explained the rules to me.

3) Male Beach Volleyball - Take a wild guess...

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 01:14:25 PM »

Cricket, for rich people who don't like to sweat.

Oh and they now consider darts a sport. No wonder kids are getting fatter, if a sportsman is now deemed a 30st alcoholic in a Hawaiian shirt.

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 01:18:23 PM »

a 30st alcoholic in a Hawaiian shirt.

That's 40% of people on this site  Wink

Kidding, folks.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 01:21:46 PM »

I hate rugby, but I do love American football I feel it's far superior.

Wag
Bad Movie Lover

It's a real cat and carrot situation

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 02:02:05 PM »

I hate rugby, but I do love American football I feel it's far superior.

Why?

I find motorsports to be particularly dull to watch too. The only entertaining part are the crashes and they don't happen nearly as often as one expects.

Where the hell is that soothing music coming from?
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 02:42:01 PM »

Basketball - I find it completely boring.  I couldn't even tell you the name of my state's team.  Oh!  Timberwolves.  Took me about two minutes to think of that.

Baseball - You're being entertained by a pair of announcers talking.  Other than that it's just guys standing around.  I've got several friends who watch baseball on TV and I just can't understand it. 

Soccer - yup, I'm American and I don't get soccer  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 03:09:49 PM »

Basketball - I get that it's supposed to be fast paced and exciting for fans, but watching two teams run back and forth down the court for more than 10 minutes bores me to tears. The only time I'd ever want to watch a game is if I came in at the last 3 minutes and the score was close enough to make it interesting.

Baseball - My girlfriend hates me for this, being a lifelong Yankees fan, but I find baseball to be the opposite of basketball (baseball is much slower paced) yet still just as boring. I always enjoyed physically going to a game, but again, unless it's a close one and the last few innings are really interesting ones, my enjoyment usually craps out quickly.

Soccer - add me to the "What's the deal with that?!" column. Wink

I'm also amongst the naysayers of NASCAR or any other auto racing (pity for me, growing up in a racing family no less), but I put forth the following: to those who don't consider auto racing a sport, do you feel the same way about horse racing, or is there a "class bias" when it comes to the ponies? Far as I'm concerned they're one and the same: both require conditioned drivers, both require well maintained mounts, both result in going around in circles for periods of time. Though horse racing could be considering more entertaining (few laps = less time to get bored), I don't think either should be considered a "sport" to be honest.

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 03:22:07 PM »

Most sports I can take or leave, , most of them leave. I used to watch baseball some, but not any more. American football completely sucks, but rugby still sucks a little worse (rugby players don't need pads or helmets, the game is about as rough as patty-cakes). Although I'm a gearhead, I HATE Nascar, It's not even racing, it's a contest to see who can comply with a bunch of lop-sided rules. No wonder cheating happens so often. I do watch Drag Racing, to me it's more interesting that any other sport. If you take the fastest two dragsters and the fastest two funny cars at the Sunday drags, they together produce more horsepower than the entire field in Nascar. Formula1/IRL comes in a close second. Back to football though: I've turned on Drag Racing, only to see a football game running into overtime, with 9 and a half minutes left. . .So, an hour later they're finishing up this stupid game, what with all the time-outs and running out of bounds. It just sucked. Hockey is cool, but I don't watch it much, and I really don't know the rules. I also like Sumo wrestling, between it and Drag Racing, I think their appeal to me is because they satisfy my A.D.D. since they last just seconds.

BUT, my favorite sport: MMA (mixed martial arts). I used to watch boxing, back when they really boxed, not this jab, clinch, hug, ref breaks it up, rinse, repeat for what seems like forever. In MMA  there are occasional boring fights, but if they are, it's only 15 minutes, unless it's a championship fight, and then it's only 25 minutes (In UFC, other organizations differ). I like it particularly because there are many ways to win, and I've seen some vary one-sided fights do a 180 real quick. Where in most combat sports fighters are very similar with only relatively small style differences, MMA fighters run the gamut from wrestlers/GnP fighters, strikers including boxing, kickboxing, Mauy Thai, Judo, Jui Jitsu, but any successful fighter is a combination of several or all of those. These guys are generally much smarter that the average boxer also, many of them having college degrees, and not basket-weaving 101. One of the biggest turn-offs in boxing is just how stupid some of them are. There are SO many retired boxers that have nothing because they let some idiot con them out of money. I saw interviews with Holyfield he seemed like he had an IQ of about 70. Also, when he was champ and making millions, he had several kids by different mothers that he refused to pay child support for. Talk about classless.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 03:28:04 PM by ghouck » Logged

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 04:03:29 PM »

Anything where you need an animal or an engine between your legs is not a sport.  TongueOut

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 04:12:29 PM »

* SOCCER (aka "football" or "futebol" outside the U.S.) - Any game that frequently ends in scores like "Nil - Nil" or "One - Nil" should be avoided.  Also, any game where the chance of someone being killed by a fanatical fan is greater than the chance of someone scoring a goal should be avoided.

* PROFESSIONAL BULL RIDING - I took my nephews last year.  They should shorten the name to "Professional Bull$*#t."

* MONSTER TRUCKS - Similar to Professional Bull Riding (see above).

* WWE WRESTLING - I have taken my nephews a couple times because they like it.  The only part worth watching is when the women come out and drop-kick each other.  But you can often see this for free on a Saturday night at your local tavern.  Damn you, Ray Mysterio!

* Any competition that involves the largest or best-looking LIVESTOCK, FISH or VEGETABLES.

* Any competition where the participants wear flourescent orange hats, hip-waders, or flannel shirts.

* POLO - Unless someone gets trampled by a polo pony.

* "Who can eat the most?" competitions (such as hot dogs or pie).  I just need to look in the mirror to see someone eating like a pig.

* ARM WRESTLING - Unless someone's wrist snaps under the strain.

* CROSS COUNTRY SKIING - Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

On the other hand, I love American Football and Baseball.  Hockey and Basketball are okay, but I can take them or leave them.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 04:36:56 PM »

Anything where you need an animal or an engine between your legs is not a sport.  TongueOut

–noun
1.    an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Many if not most forms of racing require more athleticism that those listed, and all require skill, also more than some of those listed. If golf is a sport, then most forms of racing surely is.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 04:41:02 PM »

–noun
1.    an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Many if not most forms of racing require more athleticism that those listed, and all require skill, also more than some of those listed. If golf is a sport, then most forms of racing surely is.

That's okay then, as I don't consider golf a sport. It's like darts or pool.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 04:52:35 PM »

That's okay then, as I don't consider golf a sport. It's like darts or pool.

I agree . . . golf is more of a "game" than a "sport."  If they let the guys wear pads and helmets and hit each other with their clubs, THEN it would be a sport.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Competitions/Sports You'd Rather Not Watch « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.