Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:00:07 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Competitions/Sports You'd Rather Not Watch « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Competitions/Sports You'd Rather Not Watch  (Read 12485 times)
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2009, 12:08:31 PM »

Curling.  It's a wonder anyone survives the excitement.  Lookingup

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2009, 12:22:32 PM »

Many people that are into traditional martial arts don't care for MMA. Could it be because nobody that has studied any pure and single martial art has been successful? The "legalized street fight" always makes me laugh because boxing and kickboxing revolve only around bashing someone in the head, any street punk can do that.

I'm not in a traditional art, and I've studied several styles in my life time.  I just don't like it because not everyone is skilled in grappling arts (I did study judo for a while but I was never that good at it) so it really singles out those who are not as good at grappling.  I wouldn't say that you just bash people in the head in kickboxing and boxing since they do people to hit to not just the head but the body as well.

Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2009, 01:26:48 PM »

The only sport I watch on TV is professional bowling, and then only when they've got the competitors doing crazy trick shots while downing beer and nachos. 

I do enjoy watching hockey live.  My university is one of the few without a football team in my state, but we have a hockey team that's pretty good (current season notwithstanding), and I enjoy going out to cheer them on. 

I also watch our Women's Rugby team, but less for the sport and more because a lot of the girls on our team are pretty good-looking, and most of them aren't butch lesbians. 

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2009, 02:06:35 PM »

wouldn't say that you just bash people in the head in kickboxing and boxing since they do people to hit to not just the head but the body as well.

I would, the point of body kicks are take their wind and get them to drop their hands, , , so you can bash them in the head.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2009, 02:08:23 PM »

Curling.  It's a wonder anyone survives the excitement.  Lookingup

You must not really understand the importance of curling. Pick up "Santa's Slay" and you'll see the fate of the universe is decided by curling.  TeddyR

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 08:37:33 AM »

5.) Soccer- It's not bad, but the net is a mile long, with one goalie.  No wonder the announcer screams "GOALLLLLL!".  The game lasts a day and a half and it ends with a score of 1-0.

Only US commentators scream GOAL....
That's what I'm saying, though.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 09:02:22 AM »

Target shooting. It would help if they were shooting at something more interesting.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 01:07:48 PM »

NASCAR is boring.

NFL I won't watch.  Not only do I not like the sport but it was one of the major reasons Futurama was cancelled.  UNFORGIVABLE!

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
BTM

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2009, 10:17:54 PM »

I don't really like sports at all, so I don't care to watch any of them really.  To paraphrase George Carlin on auto racing, "I don't want to see a bunch of redneck jerkoffs driving a hundred miles an hour in a circle.  I want to see someone who's on fire and he's punching his own head to put it out!"

There are a FEW sports I like to watch.. mainly women's beach volleyball.  I don't even really know how they keep score...

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
dean

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2009, 12:36:07 AM »

Sports are a funny thing.  Generally I can watch any sport, though there are some I'm just not interested in/exposed to.

Soccer [Football] is generally a love/hate one.  I've seen some games which were terrible, and some which were really exciting, it's just luck of the draw really.  Last World Cup got really into it since our country didn't do too badly, but watched an exhibition match leading up to the cup and I could have saved my money and bought a slab [whilst drinking it responsibly of course.]  It still wasn't bad but meh, I could have done without it.

What I find more interesting is how some sports are great to watch and not so much to play, whereas others are great to play, but crap to watch.

Cricket is a good example.  I really don't get a kick out of playing proper cricket [unless it's the backyard, with your family/friends variety] but it's great to watch, especially in the background whilst you're doing something else.  Sure sitting down and watching a five day test match non-stop is pretty boring, and it's gotta be for the players too, but if you've got it on tv and you're keeping an eye on it, it can be quite fun.

I also love playing basketball, but quite often don't enjoy watching it, except for maybe in appreciation of certain games/players.

I'm generally not too interested in motor sports, though I'll generally watch the start and the end of a race rather than sit through the whole thing.

At the 2000 Olympics I saw some rowing and equestrian.  Not that interesting to watch... The rowing wasn't that bad, but in person equestrian is pretty frustrating, since you can't follow an entire rider the whole way, since you're stuck in one spot and can't see all of the jumps and bits that they do.

I enjoy NFL but gotta say I wish they'd speed it up a bit on the breaks.  Rugby doesn't do it for me, but that's more of a cultural thing, since AFL, or Aussie Rules Footy, reigns supreme in the winter months.  Now that's something that's easy to watch.

Here's two clips.  The first is a promo from last year talking about how AFL has changed not only this country, but the world [its a nice parody ad]

The second is a promo for the 2005 season which I put in there mainly because it is such a bogan song, and that pretty much sums up footy.

Small | Large

Small | Large

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2009, 01:21:22 PM »

NASCAR is boring.

NFL I won't watch.  Not only do I not like the sport but it was one of the major reasons Futurama was cancelled.  UNFORGIVABLE!

Really? I didn't know that, and can't quite fathom how the two relate. Then again, it's hard to find anything that relates to Futurama, it's kinda in a world of it's own.

schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2009, 01:33:52 PM »

NASCAR is boring.

Really? I didn't know that, and can't quite fathom how the two relate. Then again, it's hard to find anything that relates to Futurama, it's kinda in a world of it's own.

I didn't know anything about that either. A little bit of googling turned up this link:

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/futuramavol2.php

with this paragraph that may be what WingedSerpent is talking about
Of all the television shows that have been treated poorly by networks, few were treated as poorly as Matt Groening's second animated series, Futurama. An intelligent show aimed primarily at post-college adults and absolutely loaded with pop culture references, it somehow wound up in the "family hour" at 7:00 on Sunday nights. Not only was the audience at this hour profoundly different from Futurama's target audience, but NFL football telecasts frequently pre-empted the show entirely in the eastern half of America. Treated as the redheaded stepchild of the Fox Sunday Night lineup, the show never truly found its audience, despite positive critical reviews.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2009, 04:33:10 PM »

Yep, I remember that. It affected at least some of Canada as well. It was bad enough that all but the last five minutes of the season premiere of Futurama could get pre-empted (the freaking season premiere!), but they kept showing promos for the premiere as it was happening. Drove me nuts. The game could be over by 7:00 and they'd run into Futurama's slot with the pointless after-game yammering, or they'd switch to another, completely different game somewhere else. I just gave up trying to watch the show, because it was so seldom on.

Aside from finding football slow and boring (the athletic equivalent of toppling dominoes - lots of tedious setup and cleanup for a brief bit of excitement), I got to hate it from a very early age because it is the most strictly timed sport, and yet seemingly impossible to fit into a TV schedule. How can anyone watch a sport that can take three hours or more for exactly one hour of actual playing? Doesn't matter so much these days, since the shows I like usually don't have to coexist with sports on the same channel. But back in the days of 20 channels and three networks, it was maddening.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Competitions/Sports You'd Rather Not Watch « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.