Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:44:47 PM
714383 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Quintessential early cinema. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Quintessential early cinema.  (Read 6688 times)
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 11:30:18 AM »

This thread is veering a bit, but on the topic of destroyed film, I have to make note of the fact that MGM sold most of the videotape that Zappa used to create "200 Motels" to be taped over & re-used.  Now that's really gone for good . . .

peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
pinkandbluefilms
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 12:22:00 AM »

MGM has been notorious for things like that from day one. They bought up and attempted to destroy all the prints of film like "Murder on Thornton Square" ,  and the Mamoulian "Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde" (Marnau's Jekyll is, of course, lost and Lugosi had a small part in it) . Of course, they have misplaced a few of their own, such as "London after Midnight" of course. Now the consensus seems to be that it's probably not that great a film, which I would be tempted to disagree with, judging from the still re-creation of TCM. Browning has been taking so much critical flack over the last few years that the negative 'assessment' over an unseen film seems hopelessly silly. Still, if I had my rathers, the Browning work I would hope most to see is the fully restored " West of Zanzibar".

Louis Brook's 'The Canary Murder Case' was lost for half of forever and when it turned up, proved very disappointing,
especially in light of the work she did with Pabst. Still, much of her early film work is lost, as is all but one of Olive Thomas' films and most of Theda Bera's work.

This thread is veering a bit, but on the topic of destroyed film, I have to make note of the fact that MGM sold most of the videotape that Zappa used to create "200 Motels" to be taped over & re-used.  Now that's really gone for good . . .

peter johnson/denny crane
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 11:23:43 AM »

And then, of course, there is the mythologically missing sequence of what happens to the men shaken off the log in "King Kong" -- there was an excellent attempt at recreating it by the people who did the Jack Black remake a few years ago.

Of course, if you read the fan literature, there are still people claiming to have seen the original footage restored to the film in the Phillippines, or Finland, or wherever -- But, of course, Edison's "Frankenstein" was also thought to be lost for good before a print turned up literally in someone's attic --

Somewhere out there in an old dark house, there lurks the remaining nitrite print of "London After Midnight", slowly decaying . . .

peter lon/denny chaney

I have no idea what this means.
pinkandbluefilms
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 06:36:06 PM »

They found "Passion of Joan of Arc' in a closet at a mental hospital, so it's possible, dammit. The still recreation makes one salivate even more. Too, the re-make, "Mark of the Vampire' was better than given credit for. By all reports Browning was obsessive about achieving the right atmosphere, which did top 'Dracula" visually. While it is a bit talkative, the ending was the same ending in "London", so why that was such a shock remains a mystery, other than short term memory of reviewers.  The last report was that Turner had put a hefty million dollar plus reward bounty on London.

Somewhere out there in an old dark house, there lurks the remaining nitrite print of "London After Midnight", slowly decaying . . .

peter lon/denny chaney
[/quote]
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Quintessential early cinema. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.