Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:11:58 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I'm getting published! But... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I'm getting published! But...  (Read 3037 times)
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Jesus H. Chelios!

« on: March 11, 2009, 07:46:45 PM »

So a writer-director-actor whose movies I've reviewed at the Tomb contacted me today about quoting said reviews in a book he's writing about how NOT to make movies. Actually it was his friend/co-writer that sent me the email, but the point is that they want to use excerpts from the reviews to show just how much some people hated the man's "creations" as a self-deprecating thing. I was told I'd get a credit in the book, including a plug for the site. I jumped at the chance to see anything I'd written put into a publication, but my fiancee made the mention afterward that I should be getting some kind of financial payment for the use of my reviews and not let myself be "taken advantage of". I figured that the plug for the website and seeing my opinions in print were more than enough for me (with a copy of the book thrown in once it's off the presses, of course), but she's pretty firm on thinking I should be getting paid for this.

What does everybody think? Should I just be happy that I was approached at all about letting them use my material and enjoy whatever publicity the site might get from it, or do I try to get some green out of it instead? Question

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 08:03:37 PM »

I believe that unless you had your reviews copyrighted, that as long as they give you credit they don't have to pay you anything. I could be wrong but I think that is the case. It's nice they contacted you and even offered to give you a plug as well as a copy of the book.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 08:48:28 PM »

All the reviews on the site are copyrighted at the bottom of each page. I didn't used to put up a copyright notice, but started doing so since 2006. The notice pretty much just states that none of the reviews, in part or in whole, can be used without the approval of both the writer and website owner. Of course, I already gave written/emailed consent to use the material requested, so that probably brings up a whole other batch of "we have a written contract now" arguments that, even if I tried to get some kind of compensation out of the deal, have likely dug me into some kind of hole I'm sure. Oh well, like I said before, I'm just happy to see anything I've done being put to paper. The money could've been a nice help right now though... Lookingup

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 08:56:53 PM »

Anubis' reviews are copyrighted, though I'm sure their not registered (which is just a formality).  They could still publish short quotes of your reviews and claim it's fair use for the purpose of commentary or criticism without your permission.  They're probably right, but it's always arguable, and I'm sure they wouldn't want a legal hassle if you challenged them.  

I imagine (purely a guess and not based on experience) that the credit and the plug would probably be a standard arrangement for this type of use.  I doubt this book is slated to be a huge New York Times bestseller, so there's probably not much money to be squeezed out of them.  

It sounds like your first impression was that you were flattered and happy about the arrangement.  I'd trust that, personally.  

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 09:14:10 PM »

Personally, I wouldn't ask them for any money.
Like Rev. said, this book probably won't be a huge seller so I'd be happy with the credit and the site plug.

If you try to pursue the money route, they will probably just say F-you and drop you from the project completely.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 09:28:20 PM »

Mention us.  Thumbup
Put us all in a review...

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 09:34:23 PM »

They are being very polite by asking you for permission beforehand.  Doing so is a good way to prevent possible problems, but it also shows a friendly consideration for you.  Using excerpts from your reviews, depending on the length, should be fair use anyway. 

I would definitely say "Yes."  Over the years, I've had quite a few companies ask to use the reviews here (in their entirety) with credit and a link.  Those I decline, but I always point out that using a snippet, that 10% general guideline, is fair use and perfectly acceptable.  When asked for permission to use just small pieces, like your situation here, I pretty much say yes.  The times I do say no, it is usually because I feel the endeavor could be reflect unfavorably on the site - like a extreme gorehound magazine, or a website with lots of foul language.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
sideorderofninjas
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 10:32:11 PM »

Should only ask for money if the book was being written by Michael Bay or someone like that..

SideOrderOfNinjas
http://www.sideorderofninjas.com

"Wielding useless trivia like a katana."
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 10:53:11 PM »

Thanks gents. You've confirmed my feelings on the matter. Like I said, I was just happy they wanted to use my reviews in the first place. Considering what's been said about the Fair Use Laws and such, you're also right that they were considerate to even ask first when they could've gone ahead with it anyway with or without my say so. My fiancee was just looking out for me and right now any money could've been useful. Thanks again folks! Thumbup

Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 01:48:52 PM »

Congratulations!

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I'm getting published! But... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.