Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:47:12 PM
714216 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Seinfeld « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Seinfeld  (Read 11832 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: March 12, 2009, 02:45:16 AM »

Seinfeld is one of those shows that I used to hate.
Years ago when it was still being produced, all I needed to hear was that bass theme music and that would be enough for me to instantly change the channel.

A lot of people I know disliked (and still dislike) the show.  They said they didn't like it because of its particular brand of humor.  The humor in Seinfeld is very different than other shows and most people either love it or hate it.  There usually isn't any kind of in-between.
Not only do they not like the humor, but they also don't care for any of the main characters.
Jerry, Elaine, George and Kramer are not the easiest characters to like in TV history.  They are sometimes annoying and, in Elaine's case, superficial, and, in George's case, neurotic.
They are all very self centered people.

But...

Nowadays, I find the show absolutely hilarious!   TeddyR
Matter of fact, I went from totally hating it to watching it pretty much every day.  Now that it's in syndication, they show two episodes per day on Fox from 10 to 11 pm.
Seinfeld is probably the only show where I've went from ice cold to hot.  Every other show that I hated...I still hate.

I like it so much now that I'm considering buying one or two of the season box sets.
I've seen quite a few of the episodes but there are still a bunch of them that I haven't seen.

Overall, I'd rate Seinfeld an 8 on a scale of 1-10 and give it a big  Thumbup.

Small | Large

Do you like Seinfeld?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 02:53:01 PM by Ash » Logged
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 07:09:51 AM »

I enjoy Seinfeld, I did when I was younger and I still do to this day.  I didn't get a lot of the humor or the jokes that they made when I was younger, but now I get the jokes or some of the situations that the characters experience.  I think I see a bit of myself in the main characters because I have some similar traits as the main characters at times.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 07:11:06 AM »

I was completely uninterested in it at first, probably due to the fact that it was popular.  Anything popular probably sucks.  Friends, Everybody loves Raymond, King of Queens;  you name it, it's popular and it sucks.  For some reason I started watching Seinfeld though, and it was just about the funniest thing I've ever seen.  It's smart, witty humor, so it's like night-and-day compared to all the stupid humor on every other comedy.  The characters aren't terribly likable, George especially could really get on my nerves. 

The stuff with his parents in Florida was utterly hilarious.  My parents have a condo in Florida, he's dead on.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 08:49:32 AM »

Funny you brought this up Ash.  Amazon just had the entire series boxset on their deal of the day for $99 (regular price $179).

I think a lot of people had problems with the characters. They are the most self-centered bunch of people you could ever think of.  I used to watch it all the time and I told my wife that if George was my friend I'd have to throw him out a window to put him out of his misery.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 10:49:41 AM »

I love the one where george does everything the opposite of what he usually does and ends up having all this success.  he evens orders the oppsite of the sandwhich he usually gets
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 12:48:35 PM »

I've never liked it. I can't get into it at all and I have never found it even slightly amusing.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 11:13:23 AM »

I loved Seinfeld, and still do.  I used to watch this back fairly regularly when I was in elementary school through high school.  The humor still holds up today, and George is my favorite character.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 01:56:03 PM »

I've never liked it. I can't get into it at all and I have never found it even slightly amusing.
Ditto

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Bmeansgood
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 08:01:45 PM »

If you hate Seinfeld, then you will really hate Curb Your Enthusiasm. If you watch a few episodes of that show you will see who was the real brains behind Seinfeld.  Jerry was a likeable guy, but the crazy plots are all a product of Larry David's bizzare ideas. 

I recommend it!   Thumbup

voltron

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 09:52:24 AM »

I watched the show when it wasn't in syndication, and I still watch an apalling amount of the reruns. I know a lot of the dialog off by heart, but I never get tired of it for some reason. One of my favorite parts is when Kramer gets a job at Leland and Brant (?) and Jerry asks him what he's got in his briefcase, Kramer replies "Crackers". Just the way he delivers the line is classic. Gets me every time. I did think that the finale was kinda lame, though.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 01:43:38 PM »

I've seen a couple of episodes, maybe half a dozen altogether including the finale. It's funny enough. I could never get that whole "a show about nothing" thing though. That was its major claim to fame, supposedly it was different from other TV comedy in some fundamental way because it was "about nothing". I can't see it. It's about just as much something as any other sitcom. Look at the way people describe episodes, there's obviously a unifying situation that ties the episode together. If it wasn't about something, you wouldn't be able to say "remember the episode where..."?
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 02:25:38 PM »

I only watched the show a few times during its initial television run (I'm not the kind of person who faithfully watches any TV show no matter how good it is).  I ended up buying the entire DVD collection.  My wife and I watched every episode and we are now going through the boxed set chronologically for the second time.  This is one of the best TV series ever . . . right up there with ALL IN THE FAMILY, I LOVE LUCY, and THE SOPRANOS as far as I'm concerned.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ozzymandias
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 08:55:02 PM »

Ozzymandias speaks: I loved Jerry's references to DC Comics. Also his rivalry with Newman.

Ozzymandias has spoken!!!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 06:58:39 PM »

I've seen a couple of episodes, maybe half a dozen altogether including the finale. It's funny enough. I could never get that whole "a show about nothing" thing though. That was its major claim to fame, supposedly it was different from other TV comedy in some fundamental way because it was "about nothing". I can't see it. It's about just as much something as any other sitcom. Look at the way people describe episodes, there's obviously a unifying situation that ties the episode together. If it wasn't about something, you wouldn't be able to say "remember the episode where..."?

I never really bought the "about nothing" line.  That came more from 'Jerry,' the show-within-a-show that Jerry and George pitched to NBC than from the show itself.  The closest the show every really came to being about nothing was the episode set entirely while they were waiting to be seated in the Chinese restaurant.  (Jerry was fidgeting because he was afraid he was going to miss a showing of PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE!)

I liked the show a lot.  It was the best written show of its era.  The writers would write 2 or 3 separate plotlines and tie them together at the end of the show; it was very clever the way they accomplished it time after time.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 08:03:09 PM »

Seinfeld is one of those shows that I used to hate.
Years ago when it was still being produced, all I needed to hear was that bass theme music and that would be enough for me to instantly change the channel.
A lot of people I know disliked (and still dislike) the show.  They said they didn't like it because of its particular brand of humor.  The humor in Seinfeld is very different than other shows and most people either love it or hate it.  There usually isn't any kind of in-between.
Not only do they not like the humor, but they also don't care for any of the main characters.
Jerry, Elaine, George and Kramer are not the easiest characters to like in TV history.  They are sometimes annoying and, in Elaine's case, superficial, and, in George's case, neurotic.  They are all very self centered people.
To put it more succinctly: they're all heartless.  The cast's motto was: "NO HUGS!"  With a huge influence, debatable as to whether good or bad, "Seinfeld" ranks as one of the most influential programs in all of TV history. 

But...  Nowadays, I find the show absolutely hilarious!   TeddyR
Matter of fact, I went from totally hating it to watching it pretty much every day.  Now that it's in syndication, they show two episodes per day on Fox from 10 to 11 pm.  Seinfeld is probably the only show where I've went from ice cold to hot.  Every other show that I hated...I still hate.  I like it so much now that I'm considering buying one or two of the season box sets.
I've seen quite a few of the episodes but there are still a bunch of them that I haven't seen.  Overall, I'd rate Seinfeld an 8 on a scale of 1-10 and give it a big  Thumbup.  Do you like Seinfeld?

Yes, I like "Seinfeld".  It's hilarious.  I'd be more inclined to give it a 9.5. 

"The show about nothing" was their claim.  Only in theory was the show about "nothing."  But the show was about the average human and their foibles: self centered, disinterested, heartless.  Watch.  It's about us. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 08:09:31 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Seinfeld « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.