Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:47:39 AM
714325 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Death of gamers leave online lives in limbo « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Death of gamers leave online lives in limbo  (Read 2667 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 15, 2009, 01:07:52 AM »

Here's an interesting article, basically it's about how when people who spend a lot of time online in clubs and groups and stuff pass away, how their online friends may not have anyway of knowing what happened to said person.  It then details some sites that'll automatically send out emails to people when you pass on, so they'll know what happened. 

Believe it or not, I HAVE thought along these lines before.  I post regularly in a live journal and have a handful of online friends who read my entries (and I theirs) and I thought, "Gosh, if something happened to me, they'd probably just think I'd quit writing."  And I've also a lot of online friends over the years who have just "vanished" and I don't really know why. 

In addition little over a decade ago, I had a female online friend who I'd spoken to a lot when I had America Online, reveal to me that she was born with a heart condition that could possibly be fatal.  Then, less than a month later, I get en email from her mother saying she passed away in her sleep.  This was a young lady (she just graduated high school) I'd known for a couple years, and miss her deeply, even though we'd never meet face to face.

So, the issue isn't just about guys with no lives outside cyberspace, there's a lot of practical considerations to.

Anyway, the article is below, you can read the original here http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20090314/ap_on_hi_te/tec_death_online

The thing about leaving a flash drive with passwords and stuff is actually a good idea.. I may do myself....

NEW YORK - When Jerald Spangenberg collapsed and died in the middle of a quest in an online game, his daughter embarked on a quest of her own: to let her father's gaming friends know that he hadn't just decided to desert them.

It wasn't easy, because she didn't have her father's "World of Warcraft" password and the game's publisher couldn't help her. Eventually, Melissa Allen Spangenberg reached her father's friends by asking around online for the "guild" he belonged to.

One of them, Chuck Pagoria in Morgantown, Ky., heard about Spangenberg's death three weeks later. Pagoria had put his absence down to an argument among the gamers that night.

"I figured he probably just needed some time to cool off," Pagoria said. "I was kind of extremely shocked and blown away when I heard the reason that he hadn't been back. Nobody had any way of finding this out."

With online social networks becoming ever more important in our lives, they're also becoming an important element in our deaths. Spangenberg, who died suddenly from an abdominal aneurysm at 57, was unprepared, but others are leaving detailed instructions. There's even a tiny industry that has sprung up to help people wrap up their online contacts after their deaths.

When Robert Bryant's father died last year, he left his son a little black USB flash drive in a drawer in his home office in Lawton, Okla. It was underneath a cup his son had once given him for his birthday. The drive contained a list of contacts for his son to notify, including the administrator of an online group he had been in.

"It was kind of creepy because I was telling all these people that my dad was dead," Bryant said. "It did help me out quite a bit, though, because it allowed me to clear up a lot of that stuff and I had time to help my mom with whatever she needed."

David Eagleman, a neuroscientist at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, has had plenty of time to think about the issue.

"I work in the world's largest medical center, and what you see here every day is people showing up in ambulances who didn't expect that just five minutes earlier," he said. "If you suddenly die or go into a coma, there can be a lot of things that are only in your head in terms of where things are stored, where your passwords are."

He set up a site called Deathswitch, where people can set up e-mails that will be sent out automatically if they don't check in at intervals they specify, like once a week. For $20 per year, members can create up to 30 e-mails with attachments like video files.

It's not really a profit-making venture, and Eagleman isn't sure about how many members it has — "probably close to a thousand." Nor does he know what's in the e-mails that have been created. Until they're sent out, they're encrypted so that only their creators can read them.

If Deathswitch sounds morbid, there's an alternative site: Slightly Morbid. It also sends e-mail when a member dies, but doesn't rely on them logging in periodically while they're alive. Instead, members have to give trusted friends or family the information needed to log in to the site and start the notification process if something should happen.

The site was created by Mike and Pamela Potter in Colorado Springs, Colo. They also run a business that makes software for online games. Pamela said they realized the need for a service like this when one of their online friends, who had volunteered a lot of time helping their customers on a Web message board, suddenly disappeared.

He wasn't dead: Three months later, he came back from his summer vacation, which he'd spent without Internet access. By then, the Potters had already had Slightlymorbid.com up and running for two weeks.

A third site with a similar concept plans to launch in April. Legacy Locker will charge $30 per year. It will require a copy of a death certificate before releasing information.

Peter Vogel, in Tampa, Fla., was never able to reach all of his stepson Nathan's online friends after the boy died last year at age 13 during an epileptic seizure.

A few years earlier, someone had hacked into one of the boy's accounts, so Vogel, a computer administrator, taught Nathan to choose passwords that couldn't be easily guessed. He also taught the boy not to write passwords down, so Nathan left no trail to follow.

Vogel himself has a trusted friend who knows all his important login information. As he points out, having access to a person's e-mail account is the most important thing, because many Web site passwords can be retrieved through e-mail.

Vogel joked that he hoped the only reason his friend would be called on to use his access within "the next hundred years or so" would be if Vogel forgets his own passwords.

But, he said, "as Nathan has proven, anything can happen any time, even if you're only 13."

___

On the Net:

http://www.deathswitch.com

http://www.slightlymorbid.com
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 01:18:06 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 03:30:53 PM »

I actually worked out a system a while back after a friend of mine who I played several MMOS died. I have a list of sites, games, and email addresses on hand for my wife and kids to send notice to them. My wife uses it right now when I end up in the hospital to let people know what is going on with me.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 09:36:19 PM »

We had a similar situation here on this forum several years back.
One of the regulars, J.R., had luekemia and then one day he just disappeared.
We never did find out what happened to him.  Question

Here's the old thread about him:
http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,114054.0.html
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 09:38:23 PM by Ash » Logged
BTM

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 01:19:12 PM »

I actually worked out a system a while back after a friend of mine who I played several MMOS died. I have a list of sites, games, and email addresses on hand for my wife and kids to send notice to them. My wife uses it right now when I end up in the hospital to let people know what is going on with me.

Yeah, but I bet you didn't give you wife a list of ALL the things you subscribe to, huh?  Wink, wink, nudge, nudge...

Wink

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Death of gamers leave online lives in limbo « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.