Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:28:49 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Your thoughts on Superman Returns « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Your thoughts on Superman Returns  (Read 15843 times)
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 11:03:03 AM »

Solomon Grundy is a Batman villian.

If you want to get technical, Solomon Grundy started as a Green Lantern villain. He's fought a few heroes since then.

He lives in the sewers of Gotham.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 11:54:51 AM »

Grundy's been around since the 40s. He's apeared in a number of places, fought several different heroes, and had his own backstory retconned multiple times. He's considered an enemy of Batman and Superman (I've personally associated him more closely with Superman), but he is a Green Lantern villain first and foremost.

That's beside the point, however. For the purposes of a Superman movie, Grundy would be pretty good. Depending on which story you read, he's as strong as Superman, and just as resilient in his own undead way.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 12:15:24 PM »

Grundy's been around since the 40s. He's apeared in a number of places, fought several different heroes, and had his own backstory retconned multiple times. He's considered an enemy of Batman and Superman (I've personally associated him more closely with Superman), but he is a Green Lantern villain first and foremost.

That's beside the point, however. For the purposes of a Superman movie, Grundy would be pretty good. Depending on which story you read, he's as strong as Superman, and just as resilient in his own undead way.

Don't forget Doomsday.  Smile

Doggett

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 01:32:47 PM »

You do know a little about Superman, don't you ? Circus  Wink

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »

I always try to know a little about everything, if possible. I wouldn't post on certain topics otherwise. I've seen all the Superman films and I have a few Superman vs Batman comics from the early 90's, but I've never liked the character.

Doggett

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 01:42:27 PM »

I always try to know a little about everything, if possible. I wouldn't post on certain topics otherwise. I've seen all the Superman films and I have a few Superman vs Batman comics from the early 90's, but I've never liked the character.

Really ?
I like the guy, but even I can't be bothered to get Superman IV
Is it any good ?

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 01:45:16 PM »

No, it's rubbish.

Doggett

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 01:46:21 PM »

No, it's rubbish.

You're better at reviewing than Jonathan Ross.  TeddyR

bladerunnerblues
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 06:53:20 PM »

Just last night I was thinking about who would make a good villain if they ever do another Superman movie.Nice to see we all agree that for Gods sake get rid of Lex Luthor.What the hell was he thinking anyway?So he was just going to have an entire island all to himself and his henchmen and moll?How the hell would they have survived?How would they have gotten power,shelter,food,water,etc?
As my brother said,that idea was "cockamamie".
Anyhoo..Darkseid,Doomsday,the 1980s Brainiac(the robotic one) can't think of any others as I was never a big reader of the Superman titles.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 07:51:06 PM »

They were supposed to make some weird Superman vs. Batman movie a few years back that saw Batman retired, Clark marrying Lois with Bruce as the best man, and Lex hiring Joker to interrupt the ceremony, thereby pulling Batman back from retirement.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Torgo

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 03:06:55 AM »

Great for about the first 45 minutes or so and then I thought the movie started to fall apart.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Jim H

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 07:51:48 PM »

There's also Parasite.  I think he could be decent.  And Gog, and Toyman.  There are quite a few Superman villains. 

I do think Parasite or Doomsday would be the easiest to bring in though.  Darkseid has too much backstory required, though Brainiac could work.
Pennywise
Bad Movie Lover

The clown banned in 51 states!

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2009, 01:02:07 AM »

I had an idea for like five Superman movies, but I couldn't write them to make money so what's the point? I don't own the rights to these characters.

I think they spent so much money on Superman Returns ($260 million over 19 years) that they had to do something they thought was safe and conventional. That's why they also had to try to appeal to different groups by making Superman a Christ metaphor AND a gay metaphor.

The too expensive production also must have made them try to make it a fifth and sort-of part 3 entry in the franchise. Lex Luthor is still a criminal mastermind instead of a corporate CEO like he had become in the comics. Also the silly comedy was still there. And Lex is still trying to make money from a land scam. I kind of blame the Salkinds and producers for making this film so old fashioned and boring.

There wasn't nearly enough action in the film. The action scenes were too quick. Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane was so skinny that she should have had life threatening injuries from being thrown around the space plane.

THese movies should really be about Superman's human problems in his life. The world is a darker place and Supes should be facing god-like problems that come from having his powers and his sense of responsibility. The problems that he should have to solve should be psychological since he can very easily do so many things. He has to think more than just being a strongman.

And the kid has to go. He never had a kid with Lois in the comics so that was very silly. Actually because of Superman Returns they may have to start over from scratch.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2009, 04:59:19 AM »

THese movies should really be about Superman's human problems in his life. The world is a darker place and Supes should be facing god-like problems that come from having his powers and his sense of responsibility. The problems that he should have to solve should be psychological since he can very easily do so many things. He has to think more than just being a strongman.

Exactly. The biggest complaint I hear about Superman is that he's just too powerful. It's hard to give him a difficult task or put him in real danger, and even harder to do it in a way that lets people identify with him.

He needs to face dilemmas. He wants to save people, but he can't save everyone, so the flipside of being a saviour is that he also decides who isn't saved. He wants a normal human existence, but the only way to have that is to withhold a major part of himself, so he can't have really intimate relationships, and he always drives away people he tries to get close to. He's extremely honest, but he is forced to lie every single day. In spite of all his powers, he can't do things we take for granted. That is vulnerability we can identify with.

It's one of the things "Smallville" got right.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2009, 08:45:03 AM »

He needs to face dilemmas. He wants to save people, but he can't save everyone, so the flipside of being a saviour is that he also decides who isn't saved. He wants a normal human existence, but the only way to have that is to withhold a major part of himself, so he can't have really intimate relationships, and he always drives away people he tries to get close to. He's extremely honest, but he is forced to lie every single day. In spite of all his powers, he can't do things we take for granted. That is vulnerability we can identify with.

It's one of the things "Smallville" got right.
It's one of the reasons I like Smallville.  A lot of people slag the show for not being 'true' to the mythos, but I like it a bunch.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Your thoughts on Superman Returns « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.