Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:55:16 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Your thoughts on Superman Returns « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Your thoughts on Superman Returns  (Read 15840 times)
Pennywise
Bad Movie Lover

The clown banned in 51 states!

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 08:07:54 PM »

I don't care for Smallville. It just seems like another pretty teens with problems. Everyone is too pretty for me to identify with. My brother watches it so I have to sit at the computer and hear the whole thing going on behind me sometimes.

I'm tired of watching teen stars (who are in their 20's by now). Superman has to come into the picture somewhere. The backflips in logic to get these characters on this show are ridiculous. They got a handsome guy to play Doomsday (or he's possessed by him probably-I don't watch this show, I just saw this on a magazine dedicated to Smallville at the bookstore once). Lex Luthor had to be possessed by General Zod because they have to keep the show pretty for the girls watching.

It's time to grow up. It's time for Superman and his universe to begin. THis teen foolishness sold to teens who probably don't read comics has run it's course. It is time for the man in the cape to take the stage and the boy to step aside.

It's also time for a reboot of the Superman film franchise after the mess it's silly continuity has become. A mature film should be made now. No more kid's stuff, please.
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2009, 11:37:08 AM »

I just want an episode of Smallville in which the entire town confronts Clark and says, "Look, Clark, we all know you have superpowers.  You've been using them in plain sight for years now.  It's kind of insulting that you think we've never noticed, actually.  How dumb do you think we are?"

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Wag
Bad Movie Lover

It's a real cat and carrot situation

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2009, 04:30:14 PM »

I'm tired of watching teen stars (who are in their 20's by now).

Apparently, Tom Welling, who plays teen Clark, is older than Brandon Routh who played adult Clark.

Where the hell is that soothing music coming from?
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2009, 06:50:18 PM »

Apparently, Tom Welling, who plays teen Clark, is older than Brandon Routh who played adult Clark.

Well, Clark has been out of high school for a few seasons now. And Brandon Routh was too young for the part, in my opinion.

On the subject of Smallville, I only took an interest in the show a couple of years ago. I stayed away for the reasons Pennywise gave - no interest in pretty young stars turning Superman into a teen soap opera. I forget what originally made me want to check it out in Season 5, but I liked it. And since reruns were airing daily and I was at home with an infant who would nap for two or three hours daily, I caught up on the whole series over a couple of months. The early seasons were very much a teen drama, but the freak-of-the-week format kept it entertaining, and Welling plays a likeable Clark. During the middle seasons, it was actually really good. I thought it was an interesting take on the Superman story. I haven't cared much for it since all of the older characters have gone, however. John Glover as Lionel Luthor was a big part of what made it good. The only thing that's keeping me watching this season is that it looks like they're finally trying to wrap it all up.

What I have liked about it is that rather than portraying Clark Kent as Superman's disguise, Smallville is doing it the other way around. Clark is the real person, and the separate identity he's beginning to create is the disguise, to protect his private life when he isn't out superheroing.

My main complaint about Smallville, at least regarding the later seasons is the "no tights, no flights" rule that everybody is still treating as gospel. Clark has known for how many seasons that Kryptonians can fly? He's had no trouble embracing any of his other powers. He's shown signs of defying gravity from day one, and he's just plain flown while under mind control. He's not afraid to jump out of an airplane and freefall to the ground, or ride an ICBM into space and then reenter the atmosphere. So, why is he still refusing to fly? As far as I can tell, it's because the show's creators, for dramatic purposes, made a rule that made sense for the first few seasons, but now makes absolutely no sense in light of what has happened in eight seasons. They're rushing Doomsday into the story before Superman is even known to the public, and yet Clark isn't ready to fly? And since last season, they keep dangling the possibility that it might finally happen, and then jerking the audience around. That's getting tiresome.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Your thoughts on Superman Returns « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.