Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:47:37 PM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  mst 3000 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: mst 3000  (Read 6064 times)
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« on: March 15, 2009, 06:19:45 PM »

i miss this show. though after reading about it, i realized something. all of the red tape and corporate crap they had to go through just to get permission for those horrible movies. this is why this show will never be seen on tv again. there was even some legal trouble sometimes because someone felt that a movie was being ruined in some way, when the piece of crap had been forgotten anyway. the dvd boxsets are too expensive and are incomplete. (sigh)....

exterminate all rational thought.....
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 12:12:58 PM »

I've learned that when a DVD set is released you have to buy it that day.  One of the recent ones had a Godzilla movie in it.  Toho got wind and the set had to be relreased with a different movie.  (I own the Godzilla one-I'm mad the replacemnt movie was issued at the same time for those of us who bought the first set)

I loved this show.  Maybe in a couple years will get MST3K:  The Next Generation
or did I just give the Sci-Fi channel a bad idea.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 04:46:54 PM by WingedSerpent » Logged

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 03:47:06 PM »

they had a little documentary on "werewolf"  from the recent set which I rented.  they talked about how once comedy central got "south park"  it changed the networks image and mst3k didn't fit in anymore.  so they went to sci fi who made them only do sci fi movies which wasn't that much of a stretch but still.  and then it has mary jo piel compaining about all the hate mail she got.    it was really irritating, as if it's her show and the viewers opinons don't count
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 08:33:47 PM »

MST3K is probably a one of a kind show that'll probably never happen again, as far as I'm concerned.  There's too many channels, networks etc, nowadays, what with Digital Cable, Satellite Tv.  Then there's the internet, as some people just watch tv on the internet through YouTube and various other services.  To sit through a two hour show on YouTube is obscenen.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
316zombie
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 03:31:24 PM »

just curious, in what way do you feel the boxsets are incomplete? i'm thrilled with them!! and love cinematic titanic and the film crew,as well!! rifftrax? now that's a problem for me, unfortunately....
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 08:48:11 PM »

I never saw the show when it was on the air and it was only recently (As in Feburary) when I took notice of Mystery Science Theater.  I watched episodes on YouTube and google video, which I found were awesome.  I wish the show could still be around or show old episodes, but it'll sadly never happen.

Also, I'm kind of curious.  Why isn't Vol. 9 available anymore?  Which movies from the set did they lose license of?

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 09:00:01 PM »

I never saw the show when it was on the air and it was only recently (As in Feburary) when I took notice of Mystery Science Theater.  I watched episodes on YouTube and google video, which I found were awesome.  I wish the show could still be around or show old episodes, but it'll sadly never happen.

Also, I'm kind of curious.  Why isn't Vol. 9 available anymore?  Which movies from the set did they lose license of?
Not 100% certain, but I think it relates to a Godzilla flick.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 09:13:37 PM »

Volume 10 had a Godzilla flick pulled. They replaced it with GIANT GILA MONSTER and rereleased it as Vol 10.2.  I think the problem with 9 was a Roger Corman film that they assumed was public domain, but actually wasn't.

I think one or two of the old Rhino boxsets have sold out, along with some of the individual discs.  If you want them buy whatever you find available, because once the Rhino sets are gone they won't be pressing ny more.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 09:37:42 AM »

Volume 10 had a Godzilla flick pulled. They replaced it with GIANT GILA MONSTER and rereleased it as Vol 10.2.  I think the problem with 9 was a Roger Corman film that they assumed was public domain, but actually wasn't.

I think one or two of the old Rhino boxsets have sold out, along with some of the individual discs.  If you want them buy whatever you find available, because once the Rhino sets are gone they won't be pressing ny more.
Thanks for clarifying.  I knew one set had a Godzilla flick pulled, but wasn't sure if it was 9 or 10. 

I'd love to get more sets of their flicks, but they are a bit costly.  Around here, it's like, $55-$65, and they seem to only have 4 or 5 movies.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 11:23:06 AM »

I really liked the show, but the box sets are a bit pricey for me.  And the used DVD's aren't much cheaper than the new ones. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 05:01:03 PM »

I watched the show when it was aired on a uhf channel here in about 1994....and It introduced me to some great BAD movies such as MANOS and the CREEPING TERROR...but I was always irritated that those dumbass robots always blocked part of the screen! That being said,I am happy it aired...as it gave a larger audiance a chance to appreciate films they might not have ever watched otherwise.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 09:09:14 PM »

RC, I can respect why guys like you don't like the show.  It isn't a replacement for watching the original bad movies, it's a completely separate entertainment experience.  A lot of MST3K fans don't even appreciate bad movies on their own; they have contempt for them.  I liked bad movies before I saw the show.  I have contempt for the folks who won't even seek out the better bad movies on their own and only know them through MST3K.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 10:49:30 AM »

RC, I can respect why guys like you don't like the show.  It isn't a replacement for watching the original bad movies, it's a completely separate entertainment experience.  A lot of MST3K fans don't even appreciate bad movies on their own; they have contempt for them.  I liked bad movies before I saw the show.  I have contempt for the folks who won't even seek out the better bad movies on their own and only know them through MST3K.
That's true, to a degree.  Although, speaking for myself, half the movies I love are movies I was introduced to in the mid '90s.  Having been born in '84, I got to grow up with three shows that showcased 'b' movies or 'bad movies': USA's Up All Night (where I first saw several Troma flicks, 'edited' of course, as well as the Killer Tomatoes, etc.), as well as MST3K, and TNT's MonsterVision with Joe Bob Briggs, where I first saw Night of the Living Dead and Night of the Lepus.  May have warped my 'sense of good', as most tell me that having a dvd collection with Hard Rock Zombies, but not having Taxi Driver is a shame.  Don't get me wrong, both good movies, but I prefer one to the other.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 11:08:14 AM »

anythign that is going to introduce these types of movies to a larger audience is good.
Flangepart

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 11:06:32 AM »

Well, I did get the Showa Video copys of G Vs. Megalon and G Vs. The Sea Monster, and the Showa stuff works good, so you could go there for the MST3K of those, and the gamera flicks.
I can see somes times they were a bit rough on some movies. GORGO I like as is ( TO quote Leonard Maltin) but the MST gig is a classic for great lines, as is SPACE MUTANY and CREEPING TERROR, as examples.
I've done some 'roll yer own' MSTs with my Karaoke machine and a DVD. Try it you'll like it! ]

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  mst 3000 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.