Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:09:37 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Underrated Sci-Fi?? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Underrated Sci-Fi??  (Read 7827 times)
Skull
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 09:32:38 AM »

...(I dont know what the show was called but a network channel would play a movie from 3:30 to 5:30 which is after school. I also think they would play those After School Specials on the same time slot, but alternate with old movies.)
ABC's The 4:30 Movie...?
How about SILENT RUNNING or THX 1138

wow flashback from the past... :)

The 4:30 Movie ~ Wikipedia

Chicago
On WLS-TV, this show was called The 3:30 Movie, which was a nearly identical show, except for the title. From July 21, 1980 until its cancellation in early 1984, it would air a half-hour earlier as The 3:00 Movie.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=8154195)

This was a great time to be 10 to 14 years old without cable/video rentals... Really cool... :)

I like SILENT RUNNING because Bruce Dern makes a perfect environmental wacko... Althought the movie seemes longer then it should be but it also predates Alien (1979) tech style (or inspired the human mechanical tech design???)

element19_98
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 02:00:53 PM »

ive always thought "enemey mine" with dennis quaid and lou gosset jr. was a great sci-fi when i was a kid but not many people recognize it that i know. Im glad to see "the arrival" get a mention to i always thought it was pretty good.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 07:43:34 PM »

A few more I really like:

KRONOS (1957): A gigantic alien robot menace (which does look a bit too much like a tinker toy perhaps) arrives on Earth and begins sucking up all the energy it can. As it absorbs energy, conventional ways of fighting it may not prove effective. Can Jeff Morrow find a way to stop it before it's too late?

THE OMEGA MAN (1971): Adaptation of I AM LEGEND is often not considered up to par by many but I have to say I really enjoy it every time and it surprises me sometimes with its depth and undertones of meaning. Besides that Chalrton Heston kicks butt and Anthony Zerbe makes for a very entertaining lead villain.

THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN should be held in much higher regards as very few films attempt to look at the world quite the way this classic did.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 07:52:21 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 03:01:21 AM »

Once again,JaseSF beat me to a good one-KRONOS!  Thumbup

The INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN (1977)-This movie is a lot of fun. An astronaut returns to Earth as a melting,flesh eating ghoul. Kind of a low rent QURATERMASS XPERIMENT. The fx by Rick Baker are great! And the film has a good dose of black humor.
TV spot for the INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN!
Small | Large

Not as well remembered as his Living Dead series,George Romero's The CRAZIES (1973) is a very good movie. A goverment f%ck up turns the locals of a Pennsylvania town into homicidal maniacs. Much more plausible than walking dead men,and just as frightining. A must see!

Trailer for the CRAZIES

Small | Large
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 03:05:05 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 10:31:54 AM »

"It Came from Outer Space", (1953) is a film I've always liked, an alien spacecraft is more likely to crash land near a small town rather than a big city. They're not here to invade the Earth or give us a dire warning about the future of mankind, they just want to make repairs and continue their journey. I've always found it interesting to think about what the reactions of the people, both human and alien, involved would be. 

"Riders to the Stars", (1954) is another one I've found interesting, even though the science aspect is flawed, the idea of attempting to capture a meteoroid while it's still in space is interesting as a movie premise.

"Gog", (1954) A top secret government research lab is experiencing a series of fatal accidents, apparently caused by faulty equipment. One of the first computer gone crazy films as the whole place is controlled by a computer, NOVAC, and its two robots Gog and Magog (which look like a Dalek riding a small tank)

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 01:57:38 PM »

Love IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (1953)..great pick Dennis! Ray Bradbury actually wrote the story for that one. Love the bit about the temperature affecting people's behaviour.

Actually have yet to see but would love to see GOG and RIDERS TO THE STARS or THE CRAZIES. Now I want to see them even more. Thanks guys.

Another few I think we should add here include:

THE FLESH EATERS (1964): Martin Kosleck stars as a mad scientist bent on experimenting with flesh-eating organisms in water. Of course a group of unlikely victims wanders right to his secluded island. Still this movie proves great gory fun.

THE WORLD, THE FLESH AND THE DEVIL (1959): Ralph Burton (Harry Belafonte), a miner, finds himself trapped for several days following a cave-in. When he finally digs himself out, he finds the world a much changed place. He finds a world devastated following an apparent nuclear holocaust. Eventually he is pleased to find another person alive, especially when it turns out to be lovely Sarah Crandell (played by Inger Stevens)...however another survivor named Benson Thacker (Mel Ferrer) eventually causes some unexpected turmoil.

LAST WOMAN ON EARTH (1960): In some ways, this is basically a Roger Corman remake of THE WORLD, THE FLESH AND THE DEVIL as two men find themselves possibly the last two men alive with only one woman left between the two of them. Still it proves surprisingly good and engaging thanks to strong performances from leads Robert Towne, Betsy Jones-Moreland and Anthony Carbone.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
ChuckSplatt
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 11:53:53 PM »

My wife and I enjoyed The Monolith Monsters and The Incredible Shrinking Man on one double feature DVD from Netflix. Movies that old remind us all how much music was used to set the tone and how much things have changed since then.

metalmonster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 12:28:17 PM »

DRAGONHEART

THE CRAWLING EYE

BATS

IT WAITS

BOA VS. PYTHON

ANACONDA 3 : The Offspring

OGRE

THE LAST SENTINEL

Jack Slater
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 12:49:24 PM »

New to the site but have been a vistor for a while now. Thought I'd revive this Old thread because it has quite a few great recommendations some that are now on my too see list. My contribution is to try not to not repeat films already mentioned.

You guys didnt make it easy for me. A few of these maybe a bit of a stetch.

The Groundstar Conspiracy - One of those films that takes place at an unknown time, place and future. Revolving around a man who claims to have lost his memory in an explosion at a top secret facility while possibly trying to steal secret documents. Michael Sarrazin who I really like plays the Amnesia victim while A-Team George Peppard plays the investigator. it's all cat and mouse from there on out.

Quintet - My feelings defiantly won't be hurt if anyone hates this film. Altman sure doesn't make it easy on the audience. With this being his only other venture into the sci fi genre other then Countdown. its drawn out, where bordom quite possibly could ensue. it's also bit bat s**t crazy. Earth has gone into another ice age, people play some kind of warped survival game called, you guessed it Quintet. Its all rather portentous but I still got a kick out of how far Altman would go or more importantly didn't go.

Enemy Mine - I'm not sure why this film doesn't get more attention. it has Good imagination, solid chemistery between the two leads, it's well put together effects wise which adds to the stories overall appeal.

Seconds - I'm not going to give anything away. watch it and prepared yourself to be blown away it's a mind f@%k. Quite possible Frankenheimer's best? okay at least top three.

Zardoz - insanity. you either love it or hate it. there's......no in betweens.

The Boys from Brazil - This is a cheat. the central theme is all sci-fi i.e. Cloning. The film exists entirely within the realm of are history other wise. With nothing else remotely resembling a sci fi.

Fire in the Sky - This might be something I simply enjoy while many others don't. I rarely hear a mention of it. It's about Alien abuction and it freaked the heck out of me. they really cake on the atmosphere and mood. it works.

The Thirteenth Floor - I need to see this one again, been meaning too. As I recall. it very much impressed me. It seems to have been lost, my best guess is that because it came out the same year as the Matrix it got lost and really should be found. Sort of what Stir of Echoes is to Sixth Sense.

The Quiet Earth - A little film with an adquate budget that never takes itself to seriously yet never loses itself. It's a mere matter of how far your willing to let your imagination go cause this one gets stranger and stranger by the minute.
Skull
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 01:08:01 PM »

Moontrap - Chekov from Star Trek and Bruce Campbell battle alien robots on the moon.  This just has a great atmosphere about it.  The plot moves along well, the characters are very likable, just a fun, fun movie.

What cracks me up is when Walter Koenig saves the woman from the cryogenic capsule on the moon.  In her time, she had just been put in there by her husband (who ended up being killed by the robot things).  However, after Walter pulls her out she is able to deal with the extinction of her entire race/society, and immediately ready to make with the sweet moon loving in a transparent tent with a man who looks like a Brillo pad doing push-ups.

lol... after the first scene with the robot in the basement of the research lab (which is so bad that it's almost funny) I was able to omit any logical script writing. It's funny how the moon girl wasnt a research test monkey upon their return to Earth or did NASA assumed Bruce Campbell become a woman in space.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 04:33:43 PM »

Seconds - I'm not going to give anything away. watch it and prepared yourself to be blown away it's a mind f@%k. Quite possible Frankenheimer's best? okay at least top three.

I agree on SECONDS. A classic of it's kind. OH-welcome to the forum!  Smile

Some more....

.The DAY THE WORLD ENDED (1956)-7 people take refuge in a house in a remote valley after WW 3. A cool 3 eyed mutant with horns and scaly skin runs amok. Mike 'Touch' Conners (of MANNIX tv fame) as a saditic gangster adds extra frisson.Paul Blasdell as the scary/goofy mutant is classic. Better than you'd think.
.BRAINDEAD (1990)- No,not the Peter Jackson movie (aka DEAD ALIVE). Like SECONDS-this movie is a real mindf*ck. And it's got Bud Cort!
.HARDWARE (1990)-An artist finds a piece of a robot ,which she plans to make a sculputre out of . Thing is...it's part of a killer robot-and it rebuilds itself and runs amok. Iggy Pop is in it too,and theres music by MOTORHEAD.

Mutant vs Mutant in the DAY THE WORLD ENDED

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 05:10:26 PM »

I agree on SECONDS. A classic of it's kind. OH-welcome to the forum!  Smile

Absolutely. The first time I saw that one, it became an instant favourite. Well acted, well shot and very well written.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 06:34:36 AM »

It's not a movie but my father and I have become huge fans of a TV show called "Fringe". At first glance it appears to be a rip-off of "X-Files" but when the "Alternate dimension" plot comes into play it becomes an amazing and brain-bending sci-fi thriller.

Also my Dad has been a Trekkie since ST episode 1 so he's a huuuuge sci-fi buff. He stopped being a Trekkie after Voyager, he was just as disgusted with that show as the rest of the world.

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Underrated Sci-Fi?? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.