Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:27:58 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  TOHO (type films) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: TOHO (type films)  (Read 18393 times)
Scott
« on: February 18, 2001, 11:19:03 AM »

Besides all the great GODZILLA films what other films have been made with this type of look and feel? Two that I can think of are:

The Mysterians
War of the Gargantuans
Andrew
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2001, 12:10:31 PM »

Oh boy Scott, you could be getting into a huge can of worms here.  Along with all the Godzilla and Gamera films, you have (I'm not even going to try and list all of them):

Gappa
Gorgo
Yongary
The Ultraman Series
A.P.E.
Mighty Peking Man
Frankenstein Conquers the World
Zarkorr! and Kraa! were attempts (at least)

And the list shall grow, by leaps and bounds.

Andrew
Scott
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2001, 12:40:31 PM »

I don't think I've seen the Ultraman Series. Worth viewing? Only seen the beginning of Frankenstien Conquers the World. I have seen Gorgo and I have The Mighty Peking Man on my list of things to rent.

Gappa?
Yongary?
A.P.E.?
palacemaster
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2001, 01:08:00 PM »

Here are a few:
Frankenstein Conquers the world
Rodan
King Kong Escapes
Atragon
----------------------------------------
Visit My Website at:
http://www.godzillapalace.com
----------------------------------------
Scott
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2001, 01:24:00 PM »

I wonder if I'm mixing up THE MYSTERIANS with ATRAGON? The one I've seen has an Atlantian(Mu) type civilization underwater and a submarine like in 2000 leagues under the sea.
Scott
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2001, 02:02:23 PM »

Also THE GREEN SLIME and BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE are great viewing.
With THE GREEN SLIME above BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE.
Squishy
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2001, 04:44:42 PM »

"Atragon" has a drill-nosed sub and a giant serpent; "The Mysterians" has a drill-nosed giant robot.

"Gappa, The Triphibian Monster" was recently released on US DVD, articles abound. One good one can be found at http://www.badmovieplanet.com/unknownmovies/index.html ("Gappa" is also known as "Monster From A Prehistoric Planet.")  

"A*P*E"--an awful, awful ripoff of the '76 "Kong"--and "Yongary"--involving an "itch ray" and monster death by rectal bleeding, I crap you not--films and tough, but not impossible, to find. A great site for info on these two, plus North Korea's "Pulgasari" (US video release this month from AD Vision!) and the wild-looking-but-seemingly-doomed new version of "Yong(G)ary," go to http://www.stomptokyo.com/scott/yongary/

By now, you oughta know Toei Studios made three big, brassy, souped-up "Gamera" movies, though only the first got a US video release ("Gamera: Guardian of the Universe"). The other two can be found on subtitled dubs.

http://messageboard.fandom.com/Godzilla/ is the Monster Zero message board. It has a section devoted to "Gappa" and "Yongary" and the "other" giant-monster films.
Squishy
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2001, 04:46:43 PM »

After "I crap you not--" should read: "ARE KOREAN films and tough, but not impossible, to find."
Scott
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2001, 09:28:08 PM »

Thanks for the info Squishy, I'll have to keep an eye out for those films.
Cullen
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2001, 08:37:25 AM »

"I wonder if I'm mixing up THE MYSTERIANS with ATRAGON?  The one I've seen has an Atlantian(Mu) type civilization underwater and a submarine like in 2000 leagues under the sea."

You're mixing the two up.  "Mysterians" has a giant robot bird-type guy (who reappears, kind of, in "Godzilla v. Space Godzilla".)  "Atragon" not only has the submarine (which can fly) but also Manda the Sea Serpent, whose only other appearance, that I know of, is in "Destroy All Monsters"
Andrew
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2001, 11:48:18 AM »

Manda also pops up as stock footage in "Godzilla's Revenge" of course.

Andrew
Chadzilla
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2001, 05:46:47 PM »

Not one person mentioned The X from Outer Space, come on you can't forget Guilala!

I'm late but here are my two cents

The X from Outer Space - Go go Guilala!

Yog, Monster from Space - Space glitter makes a giant blue squid go on the attack!

Dagura (Spelling???), the Monster from Space - it's about a giant jellyfish like thing that sucks up coal or diamonds and then drops them every where.

Rodan

Daimaijin* (this thing scare the bejesus outta me when I was a kid)
The Return of Daimaijin*
The Wrath of Daimaijin*
*=these movies have been released on video letterboxed and in the original Japanese language WHOO-HOOO!

Reptellicus (It's a GIANT MUTANT SOCK PUPPET!  RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!)

If I can think of any others then I'll check back, otherwise happy hunting!
FLANGEPART
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2001, 07:27:38 PM »

And lets not forget MIGHTY JACK! Man, i'm glad a still have a copy of that.For the plot chanty alone! "oh'slow the plot down,laddie'slow the plot down..." i find myself singing that when the B-movie ocean gets too rough.oh, and SPACE FUGITIVE  1 and 2 ,"he tried,to kill me with a forklift!Oleh!" and of corse, GORATH, the killer asteroid movie where the nations of the world save the earth from collision with GORTAH...by moveing it! Rockets at the south pole,anyone? As dave barry says,"I am not makeing that up" Neat Toho mass destruction,to boot.
Squishy
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2001, 05:14:25 AM »

One should try to see the unedited version of "Gorath;" as I understand it, the giant walrus is cut out of the US version because of its violent end.

Yes, giant walrus. Awakened by the giant rockets used to push Earth out of its orbit.  

(cough)

Of course, "The X From Outer Space" is on this site. Damn, I'm losing it, I forgot about Guilala. "When you find yourself in danger, when your threatened by a stranger, when it looks like you might take a lickin', buk-buk-buk-buk..."
FLANGEPART
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2001, 01:55:46 PM »

Ye gods,Squishy, how could i forget the giant walrus? Your right. BTW,i had the chance to rent( A moment of silence for Ozoner video...) all the Toho films in their original glory! Words and music. All are better then the americanised versions. subtitles only frighten the illiterate. And at that,super chicken, did you expect to see a 50 foot Tennesse Tuxido behind the walrus? must be me. hehehe...space chicken and the deeleybobers..great name for a Filk band!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  TOHO (type films) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.