Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:11:11 PM
714223 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  HDTV poll « previous next »
Poll
Question: Have you gotten a HDTV yet?
Yes!
No, but I'm planning on it.
No, and I don't plan on getting one.

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HDTV poll  (Read 5838 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 27, 2009, 05:35:48 PM »

I finally got around to taking the HDTV plunge a couple of weeks ago.  I got a 32" Samsung 720P LCDTV for only 450 dollars.

The local Wal-Mart had marked it down a couple of hundred from 700 about a year ago.  I then gave my cash to a friend of mine who worked there and let him get his employee discount which in turn took off an additional 50 dollars.   The funny thing is that since I got it they had gone back up on the price to about 560 dollars regular price.  Good thing I jumped on getting it when I did!

I was originally going to get a larger set but I measured my living room and a 32 to 37" HDTV was ideal for how far I usually sit from my TV screen.

Also, from the research I did you don't really notice the jump on 720P to 1080P resolution until you get into the really large screen sizes like 55" sets so when I found that out I got off the 1080P bandwagon and realized I could save a few hundred dollars by going the 720P route instead.  This was more true when I realized I didn't need all that massive of a TV for my living room anyway.  Prior to this I had had  a 27" flat screen 4:3 TV there.

I already have a Sony up converting DVD player with HDMI outputs that I've hooked my TV up with so even though I haven't gone Blu-Ray yet, I've noticed a dramatic difference in my standard widescreen DVD's just by up-converting them to 720P.  The original Star Wars movies and Raiders other Lost Ark particularly looked fantastic.  Sometime around this time next year though I'm planning on starting to buy Blu-Ray DVD's.

So anyway, I was wondering which of you all have taken the HDTV plunge or are planning to and if so, what size TV were you leaning towards and why?

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 06:07:15 PM »

I voted no and don't plan on getting one.  I personally can't tell much of a difference when I go over someone's house who has one but thats me. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 06:13:42 PM »

I voted no and don't plan on getting one.  I personally can't tell much of a difference when I go over someone's house who has one but thats me. 

I'm with the above  Lookingup

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 07:09:53 PM »

Nope, and with the crap I watch, no reason to. Somehow I doubt Plan 9 or any of John Water's movies shot on 16mm film are going to look any better. What, so I get to watch Divine eat dog crap at HIGH DEFINITION? Meh, , not really interested.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 07:11:33 PM »

We got one back in November or so.  The TV in the living room was on its last legs, so what the heck.  We got a Sharp 32" 720p LCD.  I've also read that it's a waste of money to get 1080p on a 32" set, you just can't see the difference until you get into a 50" set or larger.  I really love it, the picture is noticeably sharper, but the best part is the 16:9 aspect ratio.  No more watching a skinny little strip of movie with big black bars on the top and bottom.  You still get skinny black bars because 16:9 is about 1.77:1 and most movies are in 1.85:1, but it's a huge improvement.  Standard DVD's look fantastic - just awesome!  I haven't got hi-def cable because our cable company's HD channel lineup is pathetic.  No Blu-ray either, I suppose I'll get a PS3 for a Blu-ray player eventually, but it's not a priority right now.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 07:23:58 PM »

I'm with the above  Lookingup
I bought one because I needed a TV and why not upgrade?  But I don't see any difference
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Raffine

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 07:34:51 PM »

Nope, and with the crap I watch, no reason to. Somehow I doubt Plan 9 or any of John Water's movies shot on 16mm film are going to look any better. What, so I get to watch Divine eat dog crap at HIGH DEFINITION? Meh, , not really interested.

Once the ol' boob tube blows a gasket I'll probably get one - are any other kind available now?

But I'm in no hurry for the reasons mentioned above. I can't imagine my Mill Creek 50 movie packs or dupey bootlegged episodes of Boris Karloff's Thriller will look any better on a fancy TV.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 07:40:41 PM »

I bought one because I needed a TV and why not upgrade?  But I don't see any difference
-Ed
I'd might consider upgrading if my current ones decided to stop working.  However I'd probably stick with the most cost efficent televisions.  We have three in the house.  Two I'd say are at least over 10 years old.  The one in our living room is only a few years old. 

Another reason I'd probably not get one is my lack of television watching.  I watch most of the movies I get on the computer and television is honestly something I watch less than 2 hours a week.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Torgo

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 08:46:35 PM »

I moved my 27" flat screen back into my spare bedroom and put the 20" flat that I had in there in my crawl space.

I had said that I wasn't going to get a new TV unless something started happening with my 27" flat but that was such a good deal that I got on mine and I used part of my tax refund to get it I figured I would treat myself.

Torgo

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 08:52:30 PM »

You still get skinny black bars because 16:9 is about 1.77:1 and most movies are in 1.85:1, but it's a huge improvement.  Standard DVD's look fantastic - just awesome! 

I have noticed on my new TV that there are two options for widescreen DVD's. A "16:9" option and a "Just Scan" option.  What I found out is that with the 16:9 picture size option, there is actually still some overscan involved which in turns cuts off (on my TV at least) about 1 cm of picture information on the left and right.

The Just Scan picture size option is actually the one to use if you're connected with an HDMI cable as it shows the pure HD signal coming through the cable without any cut off.

So like you mentioned, with the Just Scan option, you still get some ever so slight letterboxing on the top and bottom when you watch a 1.85:1 film but it's worth it for me to not lose any picture information whatsoever.

Lots of times I've noticed that movies that are soft matted to 1.85:1 theatrically are usually opened up a bit to 1.78:1 so that there won't be any letterboxing on widescreen TV's as it fills up the entire screen.  My Gremlins DVD's are like that along with some others as well.     

LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 09:34:32 PM »

My folks gave me a 19" Sylvania LC195SL9 for Christmas.
I have mixed feelings.
What I really wanted was a cheap converter box for my 1980 11" Portland DCB-415PR.

Strictly rabbit ears, it's easier to fine tune 'em to an analog signal than digital.
On a windy day, the audio gets choppy, & the picture starts to pixelize, which can get kinda' creepy when watching the news. It particularly freaks me out when watching local newscaster Andy Jenks, who has an unusually small face under a disproportionately large brow, which looks even worse when his mouth disappears & his eyes move down to his chin.
Sorta makes me miss the sound hissing & picture snowing.

Of course, the picture quality on digital is amazing, but it hasn't quite won my faith just yet.

Also, I personally find adjusting the picture to be easier when using knobs, rather than coming back & forth through all these assorted menus & submenus.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Javakoala
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 11:09:56 PM »

I'd like to get a 32" flat panel LCD. I'm waiting on the old warhorse I have to croak, but it just keeps chugging. If I do the stupid thing and buy a PS3 with my tax return, it will look so not pretty on this old TV.  Oh well.
Paquita

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 01:08:37 AM »

I don't see the difference in the picture between HD normal TVs either, but my friend told me that is because most people don't have them configured properly.   I have a 25 year old RCA console TV that is currently "sick" and vacationing as a table in another room, and has been temporarily replaced with a newer, 23 year old, Sharp console TV that I got fo free!  I love console TVs, they make me feel all warm and cozy inside.  I don't see why they're not worth more or why the newer TVs don't come in big sexy wooden boxes.  I think I'm starting a collection, which kind of scares me.

IF I ever get an HDTV, I would want one that you can stick to the wall and pretend isn't there when it's off, but I heard it costs almost as much as the TV to get the parts to mount it.

For now, if I want to see in HD, I'll just put my glasses on.
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 01:35:04 AM »

I don't plan to get one cause I got cable and not going to be affected by the digital conversion happening in the US.
I've got an HD monitor for my computer and it's configured correctly. I can see a difference when I watch HD videos on it compared to regular ones. But the difference is minor. Brighter color hues and sharper image is all. Not life like quality that I was led to believe about HD.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 08:03:36 AM »

We have a small HD set in the bedroom (20 inches or something).  I have a 60 inch Sony in the family room, but it isn't HD.  It's about 10 years old and I'm waiting for it to die so I can upgrade to HD.  I can't see myself buying anything smaller than a 50 inch because I've been watching a 60 inch for 10 years.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  HDTV poll « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.