Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:46:55 PM
714241 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  HDTV poll « previous next »
Poll
Question: Have you gotten a HDTV yet?
Yes!
No, but I'm planning on it.
No, and I don't plan on getting one.

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: HDTV poll  (Read 5845 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 05:22:48 PM »

Getting an HDTV doesn't make everything you watch  look better.  The signal has to be HD.  When I bought my 42" back in Dec, I also upgraded my DirecTV to get HD access, which meanns I still get the same channels, but when they have an HD version that's what I get.

I guarantee if you are getting an actual HD signal it blows regular TV away.  My upconverting DVD player (1080p) makes those DVD's look really good.  I also get excellent reception of the local channels in HD off my antenna.

I love and don't want to go back.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 07:14:33 PM »

I'd like to get one for a couple of reasons. Top of the list is that I've been tinkering around with an old PC I'm using as a media centre. The 32-inch CRT works fine as long as I'm only playing music or a DVD or even some educational software, but as far as web surfing or other typical computer activities I'd like to do from the comfort of my living room, the screen leaves a lot to be desired. Gotta set it to a minimum of 800x600 to fit the windows on the screen, and at that size, you really have to squint at the type, as there are barely enough pixels to render it legibly. A 42-inch hi-def TV can serve as both TV and a perfectly usable monitor.

And I agree with Trek. I've seen a Blu-Ray movie on an HD set in the store, and it's almost as sharp as you'd see in a theatre. I was impressed. But you need HD media on an HD screen to get that.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 09:58:11 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
dean

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 12:54:00 AM »

IF I ever get an HDTV, I would want one that you can stick to the wall and pretend isn't there when it's off, but I heard it costs almost as much as the TV to get the parts to mount it.

For now, if I want to see in HD, I'll just put my glasses on.

The brackets to mount the LCDs/Plasmas are relatively inexpensive depending on the size screen.  The average 42''/50'' bracket sells for around $150 here [though that's probably less in the U.S.]  Wholesale should be around 50-100 dollars.

The cost is in the cabling to and from, since generally you need longer cables for on the wall etc.  Though if you have the right equipment [that aren't cable intensive] and a seller who isn't a shark you shouldn't spend more than $300 on the bracket and cables.  Then just find someone to install it and bam you're there.

I want a HD TV if not to just save space; my current TV is just too damn chunky in my small space.  The quality for HD or FullHD is fantastic, but it's the old story: if you've got a crap source going in it's going to be a crap source going out, so if you only watch VHS tapes then yeah it's not going to do much for you.  I'd also like to recieve digital TV since they just released a new free to air sports HD channel here, so that'd be nice, and rather than buy a set top box I may as well just get a new TV.

Alot of CRT tvs actually have a pretty good quality picture funnily enough:filmmakers use small CRTs as monitors because the picture is generally much more realistic than your digital LCD/PLASMA TVs.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Wag
Bad Movie Lover

It's a real cat and carrot situation

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 10:35:27 AM »

I bought a HD TV when I needed a new TV; I bought it because it was 42" and in my price range, not because it was HD specifically.

I bought some Blu Ray DVDs to watch in my PS3 and I am not blown away. Yes, the picture's better but not enough for me to justify the increased price for a Blu Ray (although I am wondering if I have it set up right given what other people have said on here).

Where the hell is that soothing music coming from?
Jim H

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 05:49:52 PM »

It is worth noting that low res stuff looks WORSE on HD TVs.  This includes old video game consoles, VHS tapes, etc.  DVDs, while standard def, upconvert much better for some reason.  Upconverted DVDs don't look as blurays, but it is closer than you would think.  You'll definitely notice some compression artifacts on huge HD screens though.

I don't have an HDTV, but I have a digital projector which is basically standard def.  I plan to eventually upgrade it to a 720P or 1080P projector for one important reason.  You can see inbetween every individual pixel on a projector, and therefore you get a bit of what is called a "screen door" effect. 

They say if you're seated behind a good quality projector (which mine is) you can't see the screen door, but I definitely can, and sometimes it bugs me.  High def projectors, obviously, have waaaay more pixels which are packed much tighter together, and therefore way less screen door effect.  However, it'll be quite a while before I drop the money for that. 

Right now, a good quality 1080p projector ranges $2000-$3000.  Two years ago, it was $5000.  I figure in another couple of years, they'll approach $1000, then I'll consider it. 

For those in the market, if you have a good room setup for it (meaning you can ceiling mount the projector in the back of a room, have 10 plus clear feet to the wall, and be able to hang a screen on the wall, plus be able to darken the room), I'd suggest looking at digital projectors. 

I made my screen, which is quite large, for about $40 worth of parts and my own labor - a wood frame, a special type of vinyl sheet, and some heavy duty staples to hold it to the frame.  Brackets hold it on the wall.  My projector cost around $700, so in total I spent about $750 and now have really good picture quality projected at 80" or so.  The only annoying thing is I have a ceiling fan and couldn't mount it on the ceiling, so it sits on a small table. 

720P projectors, BTW, are about $700 now.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  HDTV poll « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.