Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:48:41 AM
714313 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Best Grilling Techniques? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best Grilling Techniques?  (Read 3310 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: April 14, 2009, 04:24:40 PM »

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to my uncle while grilling some steaks outside on the grill.
We were discussing the best techniques for grilling.

I use the timer method.  Basically, you judge how thick the steak is and then you cook it for a certain amount of minutes per side.
I only flip the steak once.  If the steak is an inch thick, I'll usually cook it for 7-9 minutes per side.  If it's not as thick, then I reduce the time. 
Granted, it all depends on how well done you want the meat to be.  I usually go for medium rare.

My uncle disagreed with my meat cooking style.
He said that the steak should be flipped multiple times and that you should cut into it to determine how well done it is.
I argued that cutting into it lets a lot of the good juices out.
He also scoffed at the fact that I use a timer when cooking.  He felt that you should go by texture alone.

What do you think is the best way to grill meat?
What kinds of spices do you use?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 04:27:32 PM by Ash » Logged
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 04:50:57 PM »

I like to tie the subject in a chair and slap and spit on them.

Grilling food...ah!
I like to use hot sauce as a marinade...along with some Sweet Baby Ray's (Honey style),and slice some onions or just wrap a whole onion in tinfoil and set it on the grill. And hot dogs gotta be nice and crunchy for the skin...but not black...and BBQ sauce on them too! Sweet Corn on the grill is good too!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Javakoala
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 05:34:30 PM »

I tended to do it by eye. I had a good idea how thick my subject was and used hot dogs to figure out the hot spots on the grill.  A steak would usually get flipped 4 times. NEVER cut your meat until you think it is ready to take off and you have doubts about the doneness. You are right, cutting the meat will break the heat seal you've created and you lose the internal cooking from the juices. Mostly, if you're shaky on how done the meat is, save that one for yourself if you like it a little rarer than the average joe.

well-grilled meat is an art form. I am merely a weekend dabbler (more like one weekend a year, if that).
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 07:34:13 PM »

I grill chicken all year round outside.  Matter of fact I prefer to do is when its freezing cold out.  For me, I find it best to keep the chicken moist with dressing under low heat.   It comes out tender. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 07:37:07 PM »

He said that the steak should be flipped multiple times and that you should cut into it to determine how well done it is.

Your uncle shouldn't be allowed within 500 yards of any decent cut of meat. He's totally wrong.

On the other hand, he is right about using texture to measure doneness. You can press the steak with your finger and estimate how well done it is.

Myself, I don't use a timer and I don't use a finger. I get the grill very hot, then throw on the steak, which has already been coated on both sides with olive oil, salt and pepper. The high temperature sears the meat, sealing in the juices, and it also browns the outside faster than it cooks the inside. after a little bit, I rotate it to get the nice grill marks. I judge doneness mainly by eye, and flip the steak once. I take it off while it is slightly underdone, because it will cook a little more after being removed from the grill. It's also nice to throw on a dollop of compound butter just before taking it off. The steak then gets covered with foil for a couple of minutes to let the meat reabsorb some of the juices, so they don't all run out when it's cut. That makes for a steak that is tender, pink and juicy inside, nicely brown and glistening on the outside, with well-defined diamond grill marks. Impresses the hell out of people.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 08:08:59 AM »

I put some Lowery's seasoning salt on both sides, then put it on the gas grill at low heat.  Have a cigarette, and when I'm done it's time to flip it.  Wait another 5 minutes or so, then see if it's done.  I agree that cutting it lets some juice out, which is why I always cut into someone else's piece.  Then I like a little dish of Worcestershire sauce to dip it in.

My favorite recipe is steak shish-k-bob, using cubes of steak, Mezzetta sweet peppers, and mushrooms.  I make a little tinfoil tray to put them on, and flip them once.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
dean

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 09:22:20 AM »

You cook steak? STEAK?  Doesn't anyone else peel it off the cow and eat it raw?   Buggedout

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 09:28:47 AM »

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to my uncle while grilling some steaks outside on the grill.
We were discussing the best techniques for grilling.

He also scoffed at the fact that I use a timer when cooking.  He felt that you should go by texture alone.

What do you think is the best way to grill meat?
What kinds of spices do you use?

Steak should be turned only once because if one side gets very hot, then you flip it over and it cools down a bit, then you turn it AGAIN and expose it to the heat of the direct flame again, it screws up the tenderness.  Also, always turn it over with tongs, never with a fork because the juices will run out.  Same for cutting it to see if it's done - - once you cut it and peek at the inside, the juices will run out.  No holes!

Also, heat the grill thoroughly before putting the meat on it and resist the temptation to open the lid and peek . . . you will let out most of the hot air.  Put the meat on, close the lid, let it cook, open the lid, turn the meat over, let it finish cooking, open the lid, and take the meat off the grill.  End of story.  I have a Weber gas grill and it came with a grilling guide.  It gives you temperatures and grilling times for various meats, poultry, and fish and I have found it to be pretty accurate.  I like my steak rare to medium rare, so even if I don't cook it quite long enough, I still enjoy it.  Those of you who prefer your meat well done might need to put it back on the grill if it isn't cooked enough.

I use various barbecue sauces and spices depending on what I'm in the mood for.  But one of my favorites is Lawry's (yes . . . that's the same Lawry's as the famous prime rib restaurants).  It gives the steak a really nice flavor.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 12:04:46 PM »

Step one, rub your meat... now go wash your hands. 
OK kidding, but a rub is the best thing you can do  mix the following...
 about 2-3 tsp salt, 2-3 tsp sugar (brown is better), equal amounts of some granular garlic or garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne papper, and some paprika. (or ewhever else you feel like adding) Mix well, and rub it into the meat, let the meat sit for as long as possible...overnight works great, a few hours will do.  Then just grill without excessive manipulation.   It never ever fails. 

Overtime the salt and sugar pull juices out the meat, then they are reabsorbed over time, bringing with them the essential oils esters and what not from the spices 

-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 03:17:41 PM »

You cook steak? STEAK?  Doesn't anyone else peel it off the cow and eat it raw?   Buggedout

Hell yeah. I like my steak so rare even Hannibal Lecter would send it back to be cooked a little more. When in restaurants, I tell them "Just show the meat a PICTURE of a grill for about a minute and a half".

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 07:48:59 PM »

So rare that a good vet could have it back on its feet in a week  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Best Grilling Techniques? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.