Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:03:24 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Britain is rubbish « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Britain is rubbish  (Read 18481 times)
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2009, 11:11:42 AM »

Everytime I put on the radio I hear of someone being killed or body parts being found  Bluesad

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2009, 08:25:56 AM »

I would like to go to Britain some day ~ my grandfather, whom I never met, came from Cornwall ~ but it is a special place for me, as another person whom I never met but who nevertheless made an enormous, positive impact on my life, was born there.  Smile

I would like to go to Althorp one day and take her some roses.  Smile

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 08:33:18 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2009, 01:05:28 PM »

The British turned against Benny Hill at the same time his popularity peaked around the world. Practically drove the poor guy to his grave.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Doggett

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2009, 01:15:41 PM »

The British turned against Benny Hill at the same time his popularity peaked around the world. Practically drove the poor guy to his grave.

I'm always amazed at how many Americans like Benny Hill ! Buggedout
I don't think his show has ever been repeated here, is it any good or is the humor "of its time"....

Wag
Bad Movie Lover

It's a real cat and carrot situation

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2009, 01:28:31 PM »

We do that as a nation - delight in people's rise to fame and then turn on them when they make it. Our media seems to like nothing better than to knock someone off the pedistal it has put them on.

Where the hell is that soothing music coming from?
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2009, 01:32:12 PM »

I'm always amazed at how many Americans like Benny Hill ! Buggedout
I don't think his show has ever been repeated here, is it any good or is the humor "of its time"....

I'm Canadian, but I understand what you mean.

Benny Hill's humour is definitely old-fashioned, in the Vaudeville or Music Hall tradition. The laughs are often cheap, but they're also simple and plentiful. I remember it being one of the few shows my dad and I could both laugh heartily at.

What got me was how viciously Hill was attacked in the 80s, for reasons he never understood, then stripped of his TV show, which was really all he had. And it did lead to depression, drinking and overeating that killed him soon after. At the same time, he was considered the world's most popular comedian, thanks to foreign sales of his show. You can understand why it might have confused him a bit. Sure, he was an aging comedian with a dated, politically-incorrect shtick, but he was a sweet man by all accounts, and had a pretty amazing career overall. The guy deserved more respect than he got.

In contrast, the Americans treasured guys like the Three Stooges, Groucho Marx, Milton Berle, etc. right up to their deaths and afterward.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 01:35:54 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
Doggett

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2009, 01:37:40 PM »

We do that as a nation - delight in people's rise to fame and then turn on them when they make it. Our media seems to like nothing better than to knock someone off the pedistal it has put them on.

Yeah, but when they die they're put back on the pedestal. Whether they deserve it or not.

*Doggett coughs -jadegoody*

I heard the Aussies can't stand Kylie as she so successful.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2009, 01:50:52 PM »

Canadians, on the other hand, have a huge amount of pride in any homegrown talent that succeeds outside Canada. We've got kind of a national inferiority complex. When the rest of the world notices us, we eat it up like we're starved for attention. We'd never knock down our beloved Canadian success stories, even if they suck (Nickelback, for example).

---------------------
Doggett

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2009, 01:55:10 PM »

Canadians, on the other hand, have a huge amount of pride in any homegrown talent that succeeds outside Canada. We've got kind of a national inferiority complex. When the rest of the world notices us, we eat it up like we're starved for attention. We'd never knock down our beloved Canadian success stories, even if they suck (Nickelback, for example).

Canada

Celine Dion and Shania Twain come from there, right ?

Doggett

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2009, 02:13:41 PM »

I'm so un-patriotic it took me a while to work out who that photo was of.

I remember where I was when I heard she died. Bluesad

Wag
Bad Movie Lover

It's a real cat and carrot situation

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2009, 02:27:58 PM »

Me too actually - guess I am just as unpatriotic

That's where we differ. I don't. I guess that's what I dislike too - you mentioned earlier that we reinstate the pedestal after death. It annoys me really as people in my life more important to me than Di, Jade, Jill Dando, Freddy Mercury, Heath Ledger etc have died, and yet the country acts as though no one has died until a celebrity dies. Yeah it's sad and all, but no more sad because of their celebrity status. I don't know celebrities personally so don't shed a tear.

What's worse though is that after I suffered a loss, I was not offered grief counselling or anything, yet it was offered to teenage girls when Take That split up.

Ok. Rant over. I'm all smiles now, see  TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR

Where the hell is that soothing music coming from?
Doggett

« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2009, 02:38:13 PM »

Me too actually - guess I am just as unpatriotic

That's where we differ. I don't. I guess that's what I dislike too - you mentioned earlier that we reinstate the pedestal after death. It annoys me really as people in my life more important to me than Di, Jade, Jill Dando, Freddy Mercury, Heath Ledger etc have died, and yet the country acts as though no one has died until a celebrity dies. Yeah it's sad and all, but no more sad because of their celebrity status. I don't know celebrities personally so don't shed a tear.

What's worse though is that after I suffered a loss, I was not offered grief counselling or anything, yet it was offered to teenage girls when Take That split up.

Ok. Rant over. I'm all smiles now, see  TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR

I don't remember because I care, I remember because ITV interrupted something I was watching with a news bulletin and it really annoyed me. I think I was in the middle of a film or something...

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2009, 04:39:31 PM »

Celine Dion and Shania Twain come from there, right ?

You understand. Cheers

---------------------
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2009, 08:53:08 PM »

Nickelback, ugh.   Thumbdown That makes me want to start a "Canadians are hosers" thread. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2009, 09:37:26 PM »

I don't remember because I care, I remember because ITV interrupted something I was watching with a news bulletin and it really annoyed me. I think I was in the middle of a film or something...

I remember where I was only because my best friend and I were going to an amusement park that day with a couple of British girls (one of them his future wife). They seemed a little annoyed that it didn't bother us as much as it did them. We did ourselves no favours by asking how it personally affected them.

Actually, over the next couple of days, both of us caught it a couple of times from the girls for being insensitive. Watching the mourners leaving mountains of flowers and cards, we naturally discussed the logistics of clearing it away afterward, and whether heavy equipment could be employed without offending anyone. And during the televised service, I might have noted that the floor in Westminster Abbey was butt-ugly. But my number-one offensive statement, the one that really got me in trouble, could be another reason why Britain is rubbish....

The British, all grief-stricken at Di's death, were busy buying up newspapers and tuning in to special broadcasts without once taking responsibility for causing her death by that very behaviour. If all her adoring fans hadn't been so intent on sticking their noses into her private life, she'd still be alive. And while these same people were blaming the paparazzi, they went right on buying the papers and staying glued to the TV, and not objecting in the least at the whole thing being turned into a big circus. If they really cared, they'd have turned away and allowed her at least a little privacy in death.

Needless to say, that opinion got me in some serious s**t at the time, but I still stand by it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:41:11 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Britain is rubbish « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.