Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:24:36 AM
713385 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Sid and Marty Krofft Shows « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sid and Marty Krofft Shows  (Read 7524 times)
StatCat
Bad Movie Lover

« on: April 08, 2009, 02:15:49 AM »

Any fans of their shows?

These are my favs, HR Pufnstuf, Sigmund and the Sea Monsters, Lidsville, Land of the Lost. I'm not a fan of much else they did (ex:the bugaloos) I can't believe there's a land of the lost movie coming out  Lookingup Thumbdown

I own all of the dvd sets but still can't figure out why sigmund and the sea monsters season two wasn't released by rhino- bad sales I guess on season 1?  Question

-----------------------------------------------------
Wear a suit and tie when I'd rather sit and die
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 07:27:50 AM »

I used to watch Land of the Lost.  Sort of been wanting to get a set of that on DVD, but I imagine it would be like a lot of that stuff I buy - watch a couple of episodes, the momories come flooding back, then I never bother watching the rest of them.

H.R. Puffinstuff - I remember even as a little kid, I'd watch that and think "These people are on drugs!"  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
StatCat
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 12:14:57 AM »

there is a collection which has some of the better episodes of all their different series if you don't want to go full on and buy entire series,

http://www.amazon.com/Krofft-Saturday-Morning-Collection-Marty/dp/B0009YA42G

might be the right pick to go down memory lane a bit. I'm guessing it's out of print though now? Maybe it can be had for cheap on ebay.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 08:12:47 AM »

H.R. Puffinstuff - I remember even as a little kid, I'd watch that and think "These people are on drugs!"  TeddyR

I saw a documentary about this.  Apparently, there was a lot of controversy that the show had many drug references: "Puffing Stuff", the whole psychedelic look of the sets and characters, the talking mushrooms . . . Also, the show was a big favorite of people who had partied hard on Friday night and were still feeling the effects on Saturday morning.  They would watch this show and think the bright colors, talking plants and stuff were "groovy."

I watched this show every week when I was a kid . . . I just thought it was about a kid who had a magic flute and was stranded on an island . . . how naive I was . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
StatCat
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 04:15:19 PM »

I watched this show every week when I was a kid . . . I just thought it was about a kid who had a magic flute and was stranded on an island . . . how naive I was . . .

that's what the Kroffts wanted you to think!  Wink

whether is was intentional or not we'll never know really, it might've just been a product of its time but I like to think drugs were involved too  hot
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 04:17:44 PM by StatCat » Logged

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 05:53:01 PM »

Put me down as a big fan of "H. R. Pufnstuf," as well. Mainly, because I was a big fan of Jack Wild ever since I saw him play the Artful Dodger in "Oliver."

I've seen the trailer for "Land of the Lost." If I had any idea of seeing the film, the trailer disabused me of that notion. It seems to be nothing like the TV show of which I have fond memories.
Ozzymandias
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 12:20:41 AM »

Ozzymandias speaks: I liked all those shows when I was small. It's fun to watch them again. Land of the Lost is my all time favorite, but I also liked Lidsville, Lost Saucer, Sigmund and Far Out Space Nuts. Also liked Dr. Shrinker. If you ever get a chance, read the story of Jay Robbinson who played Dr. Shrinker. It is a neat story of a person who came back after drug problems.

The weekest show they did was "DC Follies," a Americanized version of "Spitting Image" that was more like someone crossed "Sesame Street" with the "McLaughin Report." What made "Spitting Image" fun was the hideous look of the puppets. "DC Follies" looked like an expensive Baptist puppet ministry. 

Did you know the MST3K guys modeled their theme off of several of the Kroft Show themes?

Ozzymandias has spoken!!!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:27:45 AM by Ozzymandias » Logged
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 10:11:14 AM »

Put me down as a big fan of "H. R. Pufnstuf," as well. Mainly, because I was a big fan of Jack Wild ever since I saw him play the Artful Dodger in "Oliver."

He grew up to be a very homely adult with a hideous nose . . . looked sort of like a deranged leprechaun.  Sadly, he died a few years ago at a fairly young age.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Hammock Rider

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 10:15:19 AM »

Man I loved all those shows. Without writing a thesis I think they were pretty reflective of their time. So are the kids shows of today of course. What does that say about our current times? Question

Aw I bummed myself out.  The opening to Lidsville will cheer me up. Long live Charles Nelson Reilly-The poor man's Paul Lynde!

Small | Large

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
inframan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 09:37:31 PM »

This one was my favorite
Small | Large
Flu-Bird
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 11:34:37 AM »

Theres a episode of the series CHiPS where H.R. PUFINSTUFF is driving a sportscar down I-5
Giant Claw Jr
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 12:16:14 AM »

THE BUGALOOS had MARTHA REYE and they drove real neat cars and the bugaloos were a rock band and one of their freinds was this bird
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 02:06:57 PM »

Lidsville was a psychedelic, nightmare-inducing show, yet as a child I couldn't stop watching it. The kid falls into the magician's hat and enters a world where hats are people and the villian is Charles Nelson Reilly. How could have NOT give a kid nightmares? I think my favorites growing up were Sigmund and the Seamonsters and Land of the Lost, right around when I was at the 7-9 year-old period, when the appreciation of kids shows is at it's zenith.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Sid and Marty Krofft Shows « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.