Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:22:46 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Hunger (1983) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Hunger (1983)  (Read 2937 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 11, 2009, 05:47:27 PM »

In a few (borrowed) words: It's Horrible...I Love It...What Is It?

In a few more words: I've always wanted to re-watch this one. I saw it ages ago on TV, in fullscreen, and found it rather weird and a bit boring.

So many years later I felt like finding out if it was as great as some people say or as bas as... some other people say. I can't exactly say my conclusions differ much from my previous ones. Yes, on paper "The hunger" looks great. It has a perfect cast, an intringuing love triangle setup and gorgeous visuals that sit comfortably between the beautiful, the kitsch and the downright weird.

But then, it doesn't have much of a script. Stuff happens. Sometimes very, very slowly. Too slowly. And we don't get much of an explanation on how the whole issue of inmortality works, except that it gets very badly if your lover starts losing interest on you.

So the best and the worst thing that could ever happen to this film were to end in the hands of Tony Scott. He does create some striking visuals. The opening of the film, intercutting a Bauhaus performance with the presentation of the main characters is wonderful. But as the film progresses Scott seems more worried about giving the film a glossy look than anything else, and little by little his camerawork and trademark stylisms become suffocating and irritating.

So, is it a bad film? Not necessarily. As the review at Amazon suggests, "The hunger" is exactly what vampire films needed in the 80s. A film that portrayed them as exquisitely decadent, sexually adventurous (or just careless?) and, yes, vapid and superficial. And  Tony Scott was certainly the best man for the job. 

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
peter johnson

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 01:58:53 PM »

I went and saw this several times on the big screen when it first came out.  I liked the thought of Susan Sarandon and Catherine DeNuvre working together -- Seems I liked it a lot better than you did --

I found the "mummy's revenge!" business at the end to be really cool & liked how the polariod accidentally recorded the little girl's death.  Plus Bowie just makes an excellent vampire.  Did you catch him as Tesla in "The Prestige"?  He really needs to do more roles.

peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Neville

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 02:05:37 PM »

I did like bits of it. A lot. But once Bowie is out of the equation the whole thing degenerates into a series of stills of Deneuve and Sarandon wrapped in silky curtains with period music as a soundtrack.

I still can appreciate how damn beautiful the film looks after all these years, specially in widescreen. You'd think Tony Scott's MTV sensibility would look silly after so many years, but it looks wonderfully decadent, and very fitting.

I agree in which Bowie sohuld act more, he's been terrific in everything I've seen him in.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 09:57:47 PM »

I liked this film when I saw it in its initial theatre run.  It's this film that made me pay more attention to the VLADO PERLEMUTER Vox Box set of 3 LPs of MAURICE RAVEL piano works that I had acquired with a huge collection of Classical albums (it's Le Gibet CATHERINE DENEUVE plays on the piano while wooing SUSAN SARANDON).  THE HUNGER also inspired me to go out and buy a couple of BAUHAUS records: The Sky Gone Out and a 12 inch of "Bela Lugosi's Dead".

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 05:48:02 AM »

I saw this during its theatrical release.  Hated it and never had any desire to see it again.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
bladerunnerblues
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 01:43:01 AM »

I too saw it at the theater.I neither loved it nor hated it.Guess it was just a bit too artsyfartsy for my 12 year old mind.
I remember that during Sue and Kates love scene,the guy in front of me told his kid to turn around.His exact words,"Turn your head,Fred".I still say that to my older brother whenever we watch a movie together and there's a nude scene.
skully13
Dedicated Viewer

"Cujo, where are ya boy?"

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 07:59:28 PM »

I saw most of this film awhile back and never quite got around to finishing it...just out of curiosity, is it worth rewatching to finish? Bluesad

"Oh,there will be blood."
Neville

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 07:45:09 AM »

I'd say "nope", but the rest of the posters seemed to enjoy it.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Hunger (1983) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.