Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:35:43 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Doctor Who « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 17731 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 12:25:44 PM »

I'm trying to find out more about the new Doctor, Matt Smith. I can't say I've ever heard of the guy before, and I've certainly never seen any of his work. I'm not quite sure about him, seeing as he's really young, he doesn't have that much of a resume, and he gives off this weird emo vibe in any picture I've seen of him. Doesn't quite fill me with confidence, although he sounds like he can act, judging by what I've read.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Frogger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 01:53:10 PM »

Lookingup

Hey the guy that wrote Blink is taking charge so I'm sure it'll be cool !
I aready love who they've cast as the new companion.

Good to hear.

Blink was one of the few good eps so far.

Some where just weird... and other stupid....

Still good news!!!  BounceGiggle

I heard the rumor that they will make a "The Thing 2". I hope its wrong, I have not bothered to check it out yet. So will go with it being wrong. (I really hope it is)

"We think too small, like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view."Mao. "At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. It is impossible to think of a genuine revolutionary lacking this quality." Ernesto Che Guevara. "A lie told often enough becomes the truth" Lenin. "Religion is the opium of the masses." Marx.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 02:00:25 PM »

She just looks smarter than the others...

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Frogger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 03:23:16 PM »

She just looks smarter than the others...

As long as she does not ask stupid questions and screams all the time, I will be happy.

Still Ace was the best.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 03:24:52 PM by Frogger » Logged

"We think too small, like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view."Mao. "At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. It is impossible to think of a genuine revolutionary lacking this quality." Ernesto Che Guevara. "A lie told often enough becomes the truth" Lenin. "Religion is the opium of the masses." Marx.
Doggett

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 03:50:37 PM »

Lookingup

I have a soft spot for Ace !

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 06:07:31 PM »

Lookingup

I always had something hard for Peri. TeddyR

---------------------
Doggett

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 06:14:58 PM »

Lookingup

I always had something hard for Peri. TeddyR

I think...I think...oh..man...I'm gonna hurl...!!

Doggett

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 05:47:41 AM »

His costume apparently...geography teacher anyone ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2009/07_july/20/who.shtml

New Doctor Who info !
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 07:43:39 AM by doggett » Logged

Frogger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 08:00:37 PM »

His costume apparently...geography teacher anyone ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2009/07_july/20/who.shtml

New Doctor Who info !

Hmmm Wonder if they will keep to the "a time lord can only regen 14 times". Hes getting close.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 08:19:42 AM »

I thought it was only 13 times. Anyway, there are ways around that. The Master used up all of his regenerations back in the Tom Baker years, and his body's been completely destroyed a couple of times since.

Actually, the new guy looks all right once he's in costume. Wonder how long he'll stick around. I suppose Tennant stayed as long as most of the earlier Doctors, with the exception of Tom Baker, but it still seems like he left too soon. Eccleston had me worried, leaving after one season. It reminded me of the original show's decline in the late 80s, with the more rapid turnover of Doctors. Would be nice to have another Tom Baker, who could stick around for a while. Then again, I suppose the beauty of Doctor Who is that we can get a new lead actor every few years, playing the same character, and all of the previous versions remain part of the story.

---------------------
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 01:09:21 PM »

A Time Lord can regenerate twleve times: a total of thirteen incarnations.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Doggett

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 06:51:46 AM »

Jim H

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 01:30:56 PM »

I've been kind of wondering something.  I've never seen an episode of Dr. Who, and attempting to get into a series with a 40+ year long of a history and so many lost episodes is kind of intimidating.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
Doggett

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 02:08:18 PM »

Watch an episode called Blink from the 3rd series (NuWho).

Everyone loves it and The Doctor isn't even in it.

I'd start with the 2005 series. Most of the stories are pretty self contained so there's no need to worry.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 03:00:17 PM »

The 2005 series is a good place to start, because it was written with the knowledge that many viewers would not be familiar with the old series. My wife started watching there, thought Eccleston was great and became a fan of the new series. Not a bad place to begin, with the Time Lords basically extinct, and reduced to little more than a legend. There are lots of references to the old show, and it could easily lead into exploring the doctor's past adventures.

Of course, if you want a good grounding in Doctor Who (and prior knowledge does enhance the viewing of the new series), it's tough to say where to begin. I don't think too many people who aren't 50+ and British got to start Doctor Who at the beginning and watch it all the way through. The first Doctor I saw was the third one, Jon Pertwee, and the one I saw most as a kid was Tom Baker, the fourth. And as far as watching regularly and understanding everything, that wasn't until Peter Davison in the early 80s. I didn't see anything of the first two Doctors (except for Troughton and an imitation Hartnell in The Five Doctors) until I was in High School in the late 80s, and one of the channels showed Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee and maybe even some of Baker, with the episodes edited together into Sunday afternoon movies.

The show has a good sense of continuity, and stays pretty faithful to its own internal rules, so no matter where you start, you'll know what's going on pretty quickly, especially with a steady turnover of companions who all need to figure it out too. Most of the missing episodes are from the early black and white years with the first two Doctors. The colour episodes start with Jon Pertwee's first, Spearhead from Space, and that wouldn't be a bad place to start. Or start with Tom Baker, the longest-serving and most identifiable Doctor. The Baker years really mark the original show at it's peak.

The problem is that a lot of fairly important stuff gets established by the first two Doctors - the Daleks, the Cybermen, the Time Lords, even UNIT, all have their origins before the 1970s. Besides that, Hartnell and Troughton (especially Troughton) are a lot of fun, and the early episodes have a unique cheesiness and playfulness, with a higher ratio of science fantasy to science fiction.

Don't know if that helps, but really, there are pros and cons to starting Doctor Who just about anywhere. Except the Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy years when the show was still not bad, but rapidly sliding downhill. Don't start there.

From my own point of view, I'd say start with Pertwee, except that he spends most of his episodes banished to Earth and working with a secret military organization. Kind of an oddity when viewed against the whole history of the show. But Pertwee is good, there's plenty of action and laughs, good monsters and Roger Delgado as the Master. And the UNIT soldiers add quite a bit.

But, in terms of readily available episodes that give a good feel for the series as a whole, I'd probably start with Tom Baker. Actually, it might make more sense to start with the final Pertwee serial, Planet of Spiders, since the Doctor's regeneration plays a part in Baker's first episodes. That and Planet of Spiders is really good.

---------------------
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Doctor Who « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.