Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:14:22 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do you mind doing things alone? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Do you mind doing things alone?  (Read 7101 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 16, 2009, 09:21:38 AM »

I know quite a few people who are uncomfortable doing things alone.  However, I don't mind (and I often enjoy) doing things like going to movies, sports bars, and taking long drives by myself.  It gives me a chance to relax and "do my own thing" without needing to be diplomatic about it or going through one of those endless "what do you want to do?"  "I don't know, what do you want to do?" conversations.  (The movie MARTY starring Ernest Borgnine has some great scenes with Marty and his friend Angelo doing this).

My job requires me to travel and I often eat dinner alone sitting at a bar, watching a sporting event on TV.  Some of my co-workers get take out or room service and eat it in their hotel rooms when they travel alone because they don't like to go out by themselves.  It's not that they don't feel safe going out alone, they just feel awkward.

How about you?  Are you a fan of "alone time"?  Do you feel awkward seeing a movie or sitting at a bar by yourself?

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 09:46:10 AM »

I often go out alone, eat alone, etc. Since I work odd hours, I usually end up just grabbing a quick bite somewhere, and I'm usually by myself. I used to go to movies by myself all the time; I can't afford that now. I prefer driving by myself, if for no other reason than while doing so I can sing (with or without the radio or other music), whistle, yell at traffic, pass gas, or do whatever else I feel like doing. I enjoy spending time with my family and friends as well, but I also enjoy my "me" time.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
akiratubo

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 10:50:19 AM »

I prefer doing most things alone.  Having other people along tends to prevent me from doing what I want to do.  When I go out with friends, I'm usually tagging along with whatever they happen to be doing.  When I've got something I want to do, I usually do it alone.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 11:16:21 AM »

Being a family guy, I do enjoy spending time with my family.  However, I mostly if not all the time prefer doing things alone.  Countless vacations and what otherwise could have been happy activities have been ruined for me by other people.  Thats thanks mostly to family or significant others in my life starting useless arguments and problems. 

Come to think of it, not only would I go to a bar/movie by myself, I'd opt for traveling by myself too if I had the chance.  Although, I will admit that if I'm alone at a bar or restaurant, I prefer to be doing something.  Reading, watching tv, playing games, etc.   Otherwise I start to feel a bit akward.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 11:54:17 AM »

I don't mind restaurant meals alone. I enjoy it actually, sitting there with a book and taking my time.

I also enjoy sitting in coffee shops alone and reading a paper or browsing the internet.

I don't like going to movie theaters alone. I've hardly ever done it. The last time I did it I really didn't enjoy the experience, but that's because the movie was "The Rock". I don't mind watching bad movies alone on my computer. That's just a fact of life since I don't know anybody who would be interested in 95% of what I rent for myself.
Raffine

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 11:57:26 AM »

I don't mind going to movies alone at all - if it's something I really want to see I actually prefer it - although I know many people who think that's supremely odd.

Although, I will admit that if I'm alone at a bar or restaurant, I prefer to be doing something.  Reading, watching tv, playing games, etc.   Otherwise I start to feel a bit akward.

Same here. I don't really enjoy eating in restaurants alone, but that's mainly because I'm thinking "I coulda got carryout and be sitting in front of the TV right now".  Smile Having a book along helps, but that sometimes feels akward. Again: if I had gotten carryout I could be in my favorite comfy chair (or spread out back in the hotel room) while eating and reading.

I recently did something I've never done before: I took a vacation all by myself. I had no agenda to follow and I throughly enjoyed myself.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 01:58:18 PM »

I like doing things by myself, although some of the things I like to do shouldn't be dona alone (hunting, riding my quad). I do like driving a lot, and do it alone quite a bit. I don't care for theaters, alone or in a group, so that's a non-issue. I do eat alone in restaurants fairly often, if nothing else than the fact that I like some foods that others don't.

Generally, I like being alone, but do get the urge to socialize often.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 03:00:43 PM »

I like doing a lot of things alone, but do agree about the eating at a restaurant thing and would feel like a total loser sitting alone eating by myself at a restaurant.  I'd feel like every person there would be staring at me and/or talking about me.
I'm not saying that those of you who would eat alone at a restaurant are losers...that's just how I would feel.
I'd definitely get it to go and go back to the hotel room.

But as for movies and such, I prefer to do those activities alone.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 08:24:48 PM »

Nope, I'm a loner.
Always have been, always will be.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 08:53:44 PM »

on your own = win/win situation

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 05:28:38 PM »

Nope! Because, if I minded doing things alone, I wouldn't do anything.
Javakoala
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 12:51:15 AM »

I've learned that doing things by myself can be fun, and I prefer it most of the time because the hassle is less.

As far as eating out, if they allow eating at the bar, that's where I go or go to one of the small tables near the bar. I do feel weird taking up a whole booth or regular table when a couple or group could be using it.

Getting groceries alone sucks, especially since I don't have a car.  Lugging that crap on the bus or cramming it into my backpack for a bike ride is a pain the butt.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 08:11:42 AM »

I used to hate being alone and doing stuff alone for long periods especially, but now I love nothing more. I don't like going out to places alone alot though, however if it's somewhere like a restaurant, I wouldn't go either way. Not fussed. Concerts are the main things I started going to alone, because I just didn't have anyone to go to them with.

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 11:06:21 AM »

We're all a bunch of loners !

BounceGiggle Wink Thumbup TeddyR

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 07:34:44 PM »

I'm often alone, i prefer to a point of fault. As far as going to bars alone, i did it almost daily up until we moved this weekend. I'm always sitting in the back corner table by myself and watching others.

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do you mind doing things alone? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.