Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:36:43 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  The Misfits « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Misfits  (Read 13178 times)
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 16, 2009, 06:49:51 PM »

I think these guys are the best American punk band ever. Their newer stuff sucks, but their earlier works kick serious ass. I was never a big Danig fan, but his voice is perfect for punk rock.

Small | Large

Anybody else like these guys?

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 08:01:54 PM »

While I disagree with your statement of them being the 'best' group ever, I do have a pretty big fondness for The Misfits.  I'd say the Misfits are high on my list though, coming in second to The Ramones.

I did like their 1997 album "American Psycho", but haven't listened to anything after that.  While I dislike Danzig's later works as both a solo musician and in the metal band, he was able to write some pretty damn good songs with the '77-'84 Misfits lineup.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 02:10:34 AM »

The Misfits are awesome.  To me they are perhaps the greatest band ever, especially when I look at it from a B-movie perspective.  Then again there really can't be a definitive "greatest band ever."    They are certainly a groundbreaking band in the horror-punk sub-genre that many of my current favorite bands belong to, and I've played every single one of their songs to death.  I even like their "newer" stuff.  I haven't found myself listening to the Misfits very much over the past couple of years though.  They have unfortunately become stagnant and haven't put out anything new in quite some time.  Suffering the same fate as the great 50's doo wop bands that inspired them, they now seem content to just tour with one or two original members, playing the same old songs with no new ones to add.   
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 02:13:25 AM by the ghoul » Logged
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 06:07:01 AM »

The Misfits are awesome.  To me they are perhaps the greatest band ever, especially when I look at it from a B-movie perspective.  Then again there really can't be a definitive "greatest band ever."    They are certainly a groundbreaking band in the horror-punk sub-genre that many of my current favorite bands belong to, and I've played every single one of their songs to death.  I even like their "newer" stuff.  I haven't found myself listening to the Misfits very much over the past couple of years though.  They have unfortunately become stagnant and haven't put out anything new in quite some time.  Suffering the same fate as the great 50's doo wop bands that inspired them, they now seem content to just tour with one or two original members, playing the same old songs with no new ones to add.   
They keep trying to put out new material.  Unfortunately, it seems to be that it may in fact be Jerry Only's 'ego' that gets the better of them, as most band members leave after a short while.  Hell, his own brother left the band because of it.  But, supposedly, this new lineup (circa about 2004 to now) seems to have a record deal in place.  And supposedly, they're writing new songs.  If the record hits stores and ITunes, I don't know.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 09:22:45 AM »

When I was a skater and big into the harcore music scene back in the late 80's they were easily the most popular band even though they ahd long since broken up.  rare vinyl releases would sell for exorbident amounts.  I liked the piano version of "she"

I really liked their more aggresive hardcore type stuff like Earth AD as well though that has gotten shorter thrift critically
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 09:47:20 AM »

They keep trying to put out new material.  Unfortunately, it seems to be that it may in fact be Jerry Only's 'ego' that gets the better of them, as most band members leave after a short while.  Hell, his own brother left the band because of it.  But, supposedly, this new lineup (circa about 2004 to now) seems to have a record deal in place.  And supposedly, they're writing new songs.  If the record hits stores and ITunes, I don't know.

They were supposedly going into the studio in 2005 or 2006.  The new album was supposed to come out in 2007, then again in 2008.  Now they don't even bother mentioning it anymore, and I didn't hear a single new song the last time I saw them play, which was just a few months ago.  It seems to me a "record deal" would not be an issue since they have their own record label.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 09:26:22 PM »

They were supposedly going into the studio in 2005 or 2006.  The new album was supposed to come out in 2007, then again in 2008.  Now they don't even bother mentioning it anymore, and I didn't hear a single new song the last time I saw them play, which was just a few months ago.  It seems to me a "record deal" would not be an issue since they have their own record label.
Hmm.  I'm thinking I meant to put they had a record label, but, eh. 

But I've heard some news about a tour coming up.  They were in town a few months back with Motorhead, and I missed out, so I'm hoping it's true so I can see them.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 11:23:11 AM »

I've never heard them w/out glen
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 12:26:10 PM »

I've never heard them w/out glen

here's a sample, Les

Small | Large

and another more recent one live in their current 3-man lineup

Small | Large
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 12:34:43 PM by the ghoul » Logged
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 07:21:46 PM »

Wish Graves would've stayed as singer when he joined.  He wasn't too bad, actually.  The album that's from, American Psycho, is pretty decent.  Then he left and they've had various singers over the years.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 12:30:55 PM »

Love the Misfits. I've never really listened to alot of punk, barring 45 Grave, The Clash and Ramones, but the Misfits have always been a unique outfit. My favourite stuff is "Walk Among Us" and "Famous Monsters". I also wish Michale Graves had stayed with them, seeing as he was alot younger, had alot to offer with his distinctive vocal style. The Misfits have had a great look, great mascot and logos and fantastic music that was always full on angst and energy. It's a shame that in this country, they are complete unknowns given the fact that they are undisputed punk legends.  Smile

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 09:29:29 PM »

Love the Misfits. I've never really listened to alot of punk, barring 45 Grave, The Clash and Ramones, but the Misfits have always been a unique outfit. My favourite stuff is "Walk Among Us" and "Famous Monsters". I also wish Michale Graves had stayed with them, seeing as he was alot younger, had alot to offer with his distinctive vocal style. The Misfits have had a great look, great mascot and logos and fantastic music that was always full on angst and energy. It's a shame that in this country, they are complete unknowns given the fact that they are undisputed punk legends.  Smile
When I walk down the street, I see a lot of kids (mid to late teens), and people of various ethnicities wearing t-shirts with the Misfits Skull Logo, and wonder how many of them actually LISTEN to the music or know who they are, as opposed to wearing it cause it looks cool.  Seems like some stupid poser crap.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 11:43:43 AM »

When I walk down the street, I see a lot of kids (mid to late teens), and people of various ethnicities wearing t-shirts with the Misfits Skull Logo, and wonder how many of them actually LISTEN to the music or know who they are, as opposed to wearing it cause it looks cool.  Seems like some stupid poser crap.

Loads of kids here are like that. You should see them all in the new Preston mall. They've probably only ever heard of them 'cause 'tallica covered "Last Caress" n' "Green Hell".  Lookingup

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 08:12:01 PM »

Loads of kids here are like that. You should see them all in the new Preston mall. They've probably only ever heard of them 'cause 'tallica covered "Last Caress" n' "Green Hell".  Lookingup
[/quote]
I did actually like Metallica's cover of "Die, Die My Darling."  I'm a punk fan, of sorts, and got into a discussion with my buddy.  I bought two Misfits albums at the mall, and his girlfriend was like, "They're good."  He starts saying that they're terrible.  Then I ask him to name one song, and he doesn't have an answer.  I go, "You can't say something's terrible if you don't know a song by them."  I did then point out that he likes "Die, Die My Darling."  I was like, "Misfits did it first.  AND BETTER."

But he's an ass anyway.  He hates the Misfits, but likes INSANE CLOWN POSSE.  No offense to those guys, but damn.  Pretty much the same thing, but one raps and one's punk.

wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 08:36:15 AM »

Wow that singer is terrible, the music is good, but that guy sucks.
Unfortunatly I didn't get into the Misfits until recently. I know I missed out on a iconic band growing up, rather regret that. But I have listened to a lot of there stuff, mainly just the albums with Danzig on them. Never cared for any of the newer singers. They all tried to sound like Danzig but they do a terrible job at it, should just do there own style of singing.
This guy does a much better Danzig impression
Small | Large

Smells like popcorn and shame
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  The Misfits « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.