Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:35:03 AM
714352 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Castlevania Movie: Good Idea or Bad Idea? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Castlevania Movie: Good Idea or Bad Idea?  (Read 10090 times)
Joe
Bad Movie Lover

What are you afraid of? It's only rock n' roll.

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 06:32:28 PM »

That i can agree with. i tend to just block the RE movies out of my mind. so many good things could have come from them but alas sh*t, sh*t and more sh*t.
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 07:53:54 PM »

Damn... I had high hopes. I didn't know the writer was such a simpleton. I think I'm going to read a review before touching this movie.

Jim H

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 04:05:54 AM »

Unfortunately, it'll probably have needless amounts of kung-fu, nonsensical explosions, and over the top action sequences in place of story, all courtesy of Paul WS Anderson.

i think you are mixing him up with Michael Bay. Anderson has one good flick under his belt and that is Event Horizon.

Have you seen Resident Evil: Extinction?  He's becoming more Michael Bay-ish (sans hyperactive product placement).  Maybe there weren't so many explosions, at least not as many as there were in RE:A, but holy god was there a lot of needless popcorn BS in place of story and especially out of place martial arts.  I know not all of his movies are like that, but that's the one that cleanly sticks in my mind when I think of Paul WS Anderson. 

Well, it's pretty interesting that you're saying he's getting more like Michael Bay in reference to Extinction.  I say this because Anderson didn't direct it!  You can blame Russel Mulcahy for that one (he also did Highlander and Ricochet - sad how far he has fallen). 

Admittedly though, Anderson did write it - but, at least he's not totally at fault, as on a film like Extinction, I'd say they were only 50/50 on following the screenplay as written VS just doing their own random crap.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 03:37:36 PM »

Unfortunately, it'll probably have needless amounts of kung-fu, nonsensical explosions, and over the top action sequences in place of story, all courtesy of Paul WS Anderson.

i think you are mixing him up with Michael Bay. Anderson has one good flick under his belt and that is Event Horizon.

Have you seen Resident Evil: Extinction?  He's becoming more Michael Bay-ish (sans hyperactive product placement).  Maybe there weren't so many explosions, at least not as many as there were in RE:A, but holy god was there a lot of needless popcorn BS in place of story and especially out of place martial arts.  I know not all of his movies are like that, but that's the one that cleanly sticks in my mind when I think of Paul WS Anderson. 

Well, it's pretty interesting that you're saying he's getting more like Michael Bay in reference to Extinction.  I say this because Anderson didn't direct it!  You can blame Russel Mulcahy for that one (he also did Highlander and Ricochet - sad how far he has fallen). 

Admittedly though, Anderson did write it - but, at least he's not totally at fault, as on a film like Extinction, I'd say they were only 50/50 on following the screenplay as written VS just doing their own random crap.

Valid point, and yes that's true.  Still, I would give Anderson quite a bit of the credit, and I think my thought process was that most of the things that I've seen consistently with Anderson's involvement have turned out into tripe. 
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 08:08:20 AM »

Bad Idea. Should have been made 20 years ago, with us looking back now at some simple, action/horror guilty pleasure. They throw in some stupid side plots to beef it up, loads of CGI, maybe Orlando Bloom and some rapper, music by Linkin Park and then it'll be on DVD in a month for $1. Retro gamers the world over will be left wounded, just waiting for the next raping of their wonder years.  Thumbdown
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 01:03:43 PM by Circus_Circus » Logged

Olivia Bauer

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2009, 03:01:14 PM »

Bad Idea. Should have been made 20 years ago, with us looking back now at some simple, action/horror guilty pleasure. They throw in some stupid side lots to beef it up, loads of CGI, maybe Orlando Bloom and some rapper, music by Linkin Park and then it'll be on DVD in a month for $1. Retro gamers the world over will be left wounded, just waiting for the next raping of their wonder years.  Thumbdown

Isn't that the usual case with most Video Game movies? At this point 90% of the VG movie genre has been brutally raped by bad writers and directors. Most of the time we get 2nd rate, low-budget, B-List TRASH! 

So far the only good VG movie I've seen is Tomb Raider 2. The first however was a feeble attempt at a female Indiana Jones. At this point It's rare to find anything VG related that is good. Mostly because the Hollywood trash producers end up thinking all we want to see is a live version of our favorite VG characters and ditch the plot altogether. If we wanted THAT we'd just be asking Angelina Jolie to cosplay. "Silly kids! Plots are for action movies!"

Hatred

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 09:22:45 PM »

Silent Hill worked pretty well. Mind you, I've never played the game, and wasn't aware until after I saw the movie that it was based on a game. I suppose not looking like an obvious video game movie is a pretty big achievement, given that most of them do.

Castlevania will most certainly hold no surprises. Paul W. S. Anderson's only decent movie I'm aware of is Event Horizon, over a decade ago. For me, his name on a movie is second only to Uwe Boll in warning of impending crap.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Castlevania Movie: Good Idea or Bad Idea? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.